PDA

View Full Version : mechanical pencils are dangerous

tandoc
May 9th, 2002, 07:17
make sure never to jab yourself with a mechanical pencil.. my friend got about 1.5cm piece of grphite lodged into his hand.. pretty st00pid.. and dangerous!

Jan
May 9th, 2002, 07:26
A mechanical pencil? :confused: :eek:

Seldimis
May 9th, 2002, 07:31
I used mechanical pencils since 2 years but nothing happend. It is a good thing for injuring somebody :) :) Just humor....

tandoc
May 9th, 2002, 07:41
Originally posted by Jan
A mechanical pencil? :confused: :eek:

or pacer

trenzterra
May 9th, 2002, 07:42
surprised it didn't break. I once stabbed a 2B pencil into my hand.

Jan
May 9th, 2002, 07:56
Originally posted by andytandoc
or pacer
Even more confusing :confused2

Love these in depth explanations :devious2:

stu
May 9th, 2002, 09:27
here's better advice: make sure you don't jab yourself with anything... :rolleyes:

meow
May 9th, 2002, 09:53
:rolleyes:
Hehehe! I can think of things to do with such a pencil. :p

Dusty
May 9th, 2002, 12:42
The solution would be to not jab yourself with a pencil-- or with anything, for that matter.

Jan, you have been living on Mars in a cave with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears. :p A mechanical pencil is like this:

You've got a hollow plastic tube. It doesn't have to be plastic, it can be wood or silver or gold, but it's most often plastic and disposable. Inside it is a spring, a little plastic sword-shaped thing, and a length of graphite just smaller than the pencil itself. Rather than having to sharpen it like you would a regular pencil, when you wear down the point you just twist out a bit more graphite.

There are also mechanical pencils that have no spring or sword but work by means of a series of tiny carriers inside the tube that are operated by a button on top, but I don't like those.

anhedonia
May 9th, 2002, 20:51
Who the hell calls a pacer a mechanical pencil? WTF!

Bruce
May 9th, 2002, 20:55
What the hell is a pacer???

Mechanical pencils are the only kind I'll use...

anhedonia
May 9th, 2002, 21:20
I cannot believe you call them "mechanical pencils".

Canuckkev
May 9th, 2002, 21:41
Mechanical pencil - a pencil that is uses mechanics to dispense graphite...makes sense to me.

This is what I use : http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/bdd/product_express.asp?product_id=172

The 0.7 mm variety is the best, doesn't break as often.

Jan
May 9th, 2002, 23:12
Originally posted by Dusty
Jan, you have been living on Mars in a cave with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears. :p A mechanical pencil is like this:

Thank you Dusty for your explanation :)

While I was out I made a point of looking for these pencils and I found some! :p

meow
May 10th, 2002, 00:54
OMG! :redface2:

Blank Verse
May 10th, 2002, 01:12
Bruce, you have to remember Australians are slow and think that a Pacer is a mechanical pencil and not a P.O.S. car.

syd
May 10th, 2002, 01:15
I stabbed myself in the palm with a pencil once (in elementary school), and I still have a grey under-the-skin mark where it happened.

Perhaps the lead/graphite lodged under there and I never took it out :confused: Oh well, I'm not dead yet so I'm not gonna bother (lazy)

tandoc
May 10th, 2002, 06:56
argh...

i called it mechinacal pencil becuz i thought that the americans would know what i was talking about.. and then all the aussies [me, etc] are here.. and i thought they would know.. but then i had to call it a pacer.. jeez.. u ppl like to argue over nothing..

anhedonia
May 10th, 2002, 07:00
Someone call GC! An argument over nothing and he's missing out!

tandoc
May 10th, 2002, 07:12
yay! let's talk about politics.. i wanna the primi minister some day.. when he actually becomes the head of state too.. or the other one.. i dunno... :cry2:

Jan
May 10th, 2002, 07:13
Originally posted by andytandoc
argh...

i called it mechinacal pencil becuz i thought that the americans would know what i was talking about.. and then all the aussies [me, etc] are here.. and i thought they would know.. but then i had to call it a pacer.. jeez.. u ppl like to argue over nothing..
I wasn't arguing :cry2:

I seriously didn't know what a mechanical pencil or a pacer (apart from the obvious) was. But when I looked for them today they were indeed called mechanical pencils - I didn't see a pacer.......maybe I should have gone to the race track for that??? :p

tandoc
May 10th, 2002, 07:19
pacer is a brand of mechanical pencil... there is also the BIC Mechanical Pencil

meow
May 10th, 2002, 08:33
Seems this is a new gadget to you. Here in Europe we've used them for a century already. :D

May 10th, 2002, 14:35
Originally posted by meow
Here in Europe we've used them for a century already. :D

well, i live in the UK and i've never heard of them. Your not the only one Jan

Mullin

Jan
May 10th, 2002, 18:46
Thanks Mullin :) I don't feel so dumb now :p

meow
May 10th, 2002, 18:56
You can't be real! You must know what it is even if it's maybe called something else in the English English world (I think it is).

Blank Verse
May 10th, 2002, 21:34
Do they have the Amish (sp?) in the UK?