• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone tried FireFox 5 yet?

deanhills

I'm thinking of changing to FireFox 5 from FireFox 3. I'm very happy with my FireFox 3, but just want to hear from those who have tried FireFox 5. Are the changes significant enough for someone to want to change from FireFox 3 to FireFox 5?
:)

It's pretty much Firefox 4, they're just trying to increase their version numbers for marketing.

I have FF5 and notice no difference between the supposed faster FF4 and FF5. In fact ever since I switched to FF4+ several pages seem to hang when loading (like Facebook), where it takes a while to load and then does the "Not Responding" deal. Clearing Cache and whatnot also seem to take far longer to do then FF3 did (even when removing a single day of cache).

I am seriously considering returning to FF3

Im using FF5 at the minute, but have found that some of the add-ons, in particular SlingPlayer, are not supported on this version.

Yea, fifth is faster and seems to be less resource consuming. AS always, firefox kicks everyone's a**. I mean other browsers, certainly.

It is also for marketing. Firefox 6 and 7 will be out in a matter of weeks. There are noticeable updates to them, but nothing that they haven't done before with smaller version numbers, rather than, what is easier to say, release candidate numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7 etc). It's because Safari is on version 5, Opera is on version 11, Chrome is on 13 (14 not far off, right?), IE is on version 9 (with 10 around the corner). It's all marketing because people see a version number, the higher it is, they think "oh it must be better".

The only browser I've seen released periodically, with version numbers increased with actual HUGE changes and new features [big ones, like extensions/turbo/speed dial (with live extensions etc)], is Opera.

Does it seem like they come out with a new version every month. I just got the message to upgrade to FF4. They all look the same

I am now with Firefox 5. hm.. I don't much changes between FF4' & FF5's interface. In terms of the PC resource, both FF4 and FF5 use more resources compared to FF3. I tried to open 6 tabs at Chrome and Firefox and I noticed Firefox use more resources.

Firefox uses more resources than Chrome so its better not to compare them... I have been using FF4 from its first RC... and I am NOT with it... it consumes a LOT of resources and takes a LOT of time to start and not to mention crashes :(

Firefox uses more resources than Chrome so its better not to compare them... I have been using FF4 from its first RC... and I am NOT with it... it consumes a LOT of resources and takes a LOT of time to start and not to mention crashes :(
I've heard however that Windows don't refresh easily with Chrome, which can be a pain when you are in the process of working on a Website. Or do you have a different experience?
:)

I miss Phoenix/Firebird

Going from the old internet explorer to those was like WHOA WTF DUDE

128897178729664065.jpg

I have the firefox 5 installed on my iMac and do not have any significant changes I can take note of. The one thing probably in it is faster browsing though I think it is negligible.

Most of the upgrades they made are geared toward plug-ins and hardware acceleration. I will try to post some updates with how they fair with heavy pages with a lot of plug-ins.

I just installed Firefox v126.0 ... Firefox v235.1 is coming out in a few hours. I think at this point they're just recompiling with new version numbers.

The thing you have to realize is that chrome uses a separate container for each tab, while firefox puts them all into one container. Thus, when viewing resources for them, with firefox you will have 1 process with 300,000kb mem, while with chrome you will have 5 processess with 100,000kb mem each. Also, chrome can't handle JS / AJAX properly (I've been waiting a long time for them to fix this).

Back