• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Running your own servers

hostaddonltd

Have you ever considered running your own server on your own home PC? What would that require? Will the cost for running one's own server be less or more than the cost of paid hosting?

Don't do it. I'm sure the cost would be a lot cheaper, but you don't have the fast connections, security and stability of a datacenter, etc. If you want to test it for a personal site that really isn't important, and you just want to learn how to do it, by all means. But you certainly don't want to be hosting your site or others' sites from your house.

It should also be noted that hosting servers violates almost every ISP's Terms of Service, unless you have one of their business plans specifically designed for that.

Its not an easy task to host your own web server at your home. In order to manage a server at home you need a lot of things such as 24x7 fast internet connectivity, 24x7 electricity, Air conditioner to keep server cool, redundant lines, a separate server room, etc... Instead, opt for a fully managed dedicated server, to get rid of all the server management and maintenance tasks.

I had setup an old computer as a webhost for a while, just hosting a personal site. 1. Your electricity bill will go up 2. You may be contacted by your ISP 3. People trying to reach your site will probably experience slow connections. All in all, it can be done, on a small scale.. but I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution to your hosting needs.

Overall, the cost for you to host a server from home, can go higher than you rent a dedicated server from a datacenter.
This is the reason why we don't see much people is doing this at home for hosting something serious.

I want to setup a server for my own website and want to host other websites also. It is a good idea or not. How much it will cost to host your website. I am thinking about a business in web hosting.

If you're thinking about getting into the [saturated] hosting industry, you better have a pretty good business plan, and know what you're doing.

How much it will cost depends on a lot of factors. You could start out with a reseller plan from another company, that will probably run you $10/mo. Then you can move up to a VPS from there, and onto a dedicated server as your business grows.

When you finally get to the point of running your own server, you're looking at around $300/mo. per server, for something good.

As WSWD stated above, you better have a plan if your going into this industry.

If you dont, you will be dead within 1-2 months.

I would never hosting from a home. If you get a attack then your internet will go down and you better believe your ISP will contact you about this. Also, if you get taken down, all of your customers get taken down as well. This would be disastrous for you as far as reputation goes. Once you have a bad rep in this business, it is almost impossible to bounce back. Hosts come and go faster then your change your clothes in a day lol.

My opinion is to try it your own!

Doing everything possible to improve your knowledge is not gonna be a waste of time and money. I tried that myself. Most of the time, that is a waste of time as others mentioned. But it always worth it. Success is a born from the mistakes you do.

Thanks wswd for this information. There is one more thing how would I get clients for web hosting. Waiting for your reply.......

Thanks wswd for this information. There is one more thing how would I get clients for web hosting. Waiting for your reply.......

Yep, you need to have a business plan. Running a web hosting business is just that...a business. You need to have money to invest, you need to have a business plan, register your business, pay taxes, advertise, and provide a quality product. When you're running a legitimate business that provides a quality service, you will get clients.

Advice

I run a website that gets about 7000 visitors a day and 50,000 page hits a day.

I can recommend to you 1and1 hosting services. I have a quad core server with 4 gb's of ddr2 ram and I rent it all for $79/month flat. I currently upgraded from a dual core 2 gb machine which costed me $59/month.

They use plesk panels and you can image the server to whatever control panel they offer, which I think is pretty neat (at a click of a button). Through my 1 year hosting with them, I can say its been a great experience so far. They have 24 hour technicians you can call directly if you ever have server issues, and in 1 year my server has been down for 2 hours (due to some faulty crossover they messed up on) but in a year, that's pretty good. The rest of the time my server's been online and kicking!

Customizing the server through Plesk's Control panel has been a joy, very easy to do. I am a web developer and I do set up many dedicated servers for all sorts of tasks at the company I work at, but managing my dedicated server's with 1and1 has been a breeze.

Hope some of my advice and experience helps you there. Cheers! :)

You might want to look at managed servers too. If you are just starting out and want to learn while still offering hosting solutions to your clients it might be the way you want to go. It will cost more, but your clients wont be effected if you dont understand everything about your server or services that you have install on your machine. Plus it will give you room to grow while learning the ins and outs of your server.

If you are just starting out and want to learn while still offering hosting solutions to your clients it might be the way you want to go. It will cost more, but your clients wont be effected if you dont understand everything about your server or services that you have install on your machine.

Sorry, but if you don't know how to run a server, you shouldn't be running a hosting business. You have absolutely no business being in this industry if you need a managed server.

Back