• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Virginia Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to be perfectly blunt, I don't really care that much for the people who got killed. Of course I'd have preferred for it not to happen, but if I cared for every time some random (to me - I didn't know a single one of those people) died, I'd never be happy.

Since this has happened TODAY, hundreds of kids have died in Africa. Hundreds of people have been hit by cars. Hundreds have died from disease or illness. Many from wars, even. What makes these people any different from the Americans that were killed? But nobody's preaching to me to think about them all the time.

I used to have such a wild view in life... until I lost my own brother.
When someone so close to you departs, even if you know it's destiny.... it is still human to become sad.

Australia had a similar episode a couple of years back (1997) in Port Arthur, Tasmania where a guy called Martin Bryant killed a dozen people with a shot gun.
And that's when the new gun laws were initiated :)

Hmm...
* Australia: Readers of the USA Today newspaper discovered in 2002 that, "Since Australia's 1996 laws banning most guns and making it a crime to use a gun defensively, armed robberies rose by 51%, unarmed robberies by 37%, assaults by 24% and kidnappings by 43%. While murders fell by 3%, manslaughter rose by 16%."
Since gun laws were initiated it appears things got worse. Looking at the stats it appears there are not as many murders, but more death. I would guess many are being classified as manslaughter instead to make it appear that the laws are working. "Murder is down by 3%" makes a good soundbite if the rest of the facts are not stated.
Edit: source: http://www.gunowners.org/sk0703.htm There are many more interesting facts on that website as well.

Last edited:
The thing is though, that Australians have never been gun happy. If you look at this graph, you will see that well before the new laws came in, that a gun was low on the scale of murder weapons.

The way I look at it, if somebody wants to go ape crazy and kill a bunch of people, a gun law won't stop them. They will get their guns and weapons anyway they can. I had the same argument back when I was in middle/high school and they kept trying to pass a teenage curfew law to reduce crime. If a "criminal" was planning on breaking laws anyway, why would they listen to another one, so easily broken and uneasily enforced?

Anyway, very sad day and very bad event. I feel for all the people and families affected. Makes you really wonder about our country...

I am glad that guns are not allowed here in Singapore, and this has indeed helped to make Singapore safer from these kind of incidents.

It is really sad to see that such people exist in the world.

I am glad that guns are not allowed here in Singapore, and this has indeed helped to make Singapore safer from these kind of incidents.

By such you mean unable to control themselves handling the gun? The guy is told to be depressed over his breaking up with the girlfriend.

I used to have such a wild view in life... until I lost my own brother.
When someone so close to you departs, even if you know it's destiny.... it is still human to become sad.

As I said, some random who I don't know. Of course it's a very big difference if you actually know them yourself. I've had only a few deaths close to me in my life and of course I was very mournful.

I think all themainman is trying to say Colin is to show the level of respect for the people who may have lost their life or someone close to them in a way that has become socially acceptable. Sure you may laugh and joke and that is the way you deal with people dieing but that is generally not the way our society works and not the way our society has deemed "acceptable".

It certainly is, but less disgusting then to open fire on 30+ random people.
Colin got it right. "Only in USA" type of thing...

I agree,
This sorta thing gos on all the time in the US
Sad really that the goverment is to stupid to do the right thing and toughen up on gun laws
Last time it happend they held a meeting on school violence...
I thought that was funny

Yep we have really stricked gun laws here to and this kinda thing nearly never happens!

I think all themainman is trying to say Colin is to show the level of respect for the people who may have lost their life or someone close to them in a way that has become socially acceptable. Sure you may laugh and joke and that is the way you deal with people dieing but that is generally not the way our society works and not the way our society has deemed "acceptable".

I didn't joke.. not really anyway.

Right on Matt!
And that is why gun control doesn't work. The only people gun control hurts are the good law abiding citizens that buy guns legally.

Anybody that is planning on committing a crime with a gun will not go out and buy one legally and register it anyways because it will lead back to them. Also most criminals already have past convictions and are not able to legally purchase a firearm. This is what the liberals don't seem to understand.

I read early today that the guns that idiot used in this shooting had the serial numbers rubbed off ... go figure. He bought the gun on the streets illegally.

The way I look at it, if somebody wants to go ape crazy and kill a bunch of people, a gun law won't stop them. They will get their guns and weapons anyway they can. If a "criminal" was planning on breaking laws anyway, why would they listen to another one, so easily broken and uneasily enforced?

Last edited:
I can't believe there are still people left in this world that say limit guns. If a bad guy wants a gun, he'll get a gun. So what, lets disarm the innocent people so they can't fight back. Honestly..bright ideas.

Guns don't kill, people kill with them. You teach the people to use morality in their lives, and we won't have an issue with people owning guns. I myself own many weapons, 12ga, 30x6, pellet air rifle, .357 magnum, 7" knife. I'm about to get a hold of a samurai sword and two 9mm. I train with them all. But I would never use them on humans except in self defense. Why? Because I'm moral. What do I use the weapons for? Bird, deer, and turkey hunting. And the occasional Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake that comes in on your hunting position...

i heard about this yesterday, but just got a chance to read on it. wow, it is totally crazy. i cant believe that someone went that psycho.

The first link to a swedish incident posted by heymrdj wasn't a mass shooting. Guns are not that common in Sweden and I find that to be a good thing.

I don't think schools would be safer if all students brought guns to school to defend themselves. Anyone who argues that it would be a good idea must be completely insane.

The first link to a swedish incident posted by heymrdj wasn't a mass shooting. Guns are not that common in Sweden and I find that to be a good thing.

I don't think schools would be safer if all students brought guns to school to defend themselves. Anyone who argues that it would be a good idea must be completely insane.

There's a reason they say no weapons on campus. But if you're going to disarm the citizens, you had better make darn well sure the criminals are disarmed first.

Look at it this way. Are you going to break in a house knowing that they probably won't have weapons because they are illegal? Are you as likely to knowing that they might have an 8ga pointed at you when you come through the door? Its a fear factor thing. Its letting them know you may have the suprise factor, but there's still a good chance you won't walk out of here alive.

I hate to say it, but schools are going to have to start checking students for weapons before they are allowed to enter the building. This sort of thing is starting to happen way too often. How many more people have to die before they realize this and take some sort of action?

Also, I know this sounds extreme but if the schools/government won't protect you, you are going to have to protect yourself. If you don't have a gun, and somebody with a gun is shooting at you .. you are going to die.
If one teacher, or campus security guard would have had a gun they might have been able to kill or wound that nut job before he had the chance to kill all of those people.

Schools are not safe anymore and people need to realize this and figure out a way to make them safe again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back