• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Anyone tried Amazon cloud hosting?

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm curious if a regular Wordpress blog would be better/cheaper to host at Amazon cloud (or Google cloud) than a small vps? Anyone tried Amazon?

To me it looks like a lot easier to use a vps with cpanel etc?

Amazon CloudFormation or EC2?

Is there any reason you are only looking for amazon cloud. If you enhance your search and check reviews you may see other cloud providers too who can fulfill your requirements.

This is a very specific question about Amazon (or Google). I'm not looking for offers from cloud hosts. I'm looking for feedback about hosting a Wordpress blog there.

I think your assumptions are absolutely correct, in that it's almost always easier to just use a cPanel VPS.

Better? Depends on what you mean by that. Your uptime is generally going to be good (though they have had their share of outages), but so is a VPS with a good provider. You're also going to get extreme scalability. You can go from small to a very large instance easily. With a VPS, you're going to be limited by the host node, though if your site is that big, it's almost always cheaper to get your own dedicated server. You aren't going to use a cloud instance.

Cheaper? No way! EC2/Amazon bandwidth is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, and nobody really knows why. Bandwidth costs in most datacenters have been going down over the years, but their prices continue to go up. 100GB, for example will run $9 just for the bandwidth costs alone. The cost for me to offer that to a client in a premium datacenter with a premium bandwidth carrier mix, is less than $0.75.

Cheaper? No way! EC2/Amazon bandwidth is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, and nobody really knows why.
Thanks, I suspected it wasn't cheap. I think they make it way too hard to calculate what a simple wordpress blog would cost to host at Amazon. I guess their service is intended for other purposes.

Thanks, I suspected it wasn't cheap. I think they make it way too hard to calculate what a simple wordpress blog would cost to host at Amazon. I guess their service is intended for other purposes.

It's unfortunate because their services are actually really good. I've tried them before, used their old tape backup system (whatever the hell that used to be called), and reliability and performance were all good. It's just those darned bandwidth costs that make things so expensive. It really is insane, considering the actual costs of bandwidth.

I haven't heard about amazon cloud hosting. There are many cloud providers available today. You might wanna take a look on those.

I've tried Azure and Amazon, both for work, and what we found was although the bandwidth was expensive, it was actually pretty terrible! Random / extended slow periods, anywhere from 15mbps to 300kbps download speeds...

Personally. Knowing the expense & issues, stick with a VPS. Also - I once had an issue with Billing - for some reason my card was declined on the 3rd of 4th payment.. The card was working fine elsewhere, it took Amazon 48 hours to attempt to "recharge" my card successfully, all during this time, my websites were down... That is when I knew I had to switch back!

If you like VPS then why you want to try Amazon and Google cloud feature just to run a wordpress blog? That would cost you more than VPS

Back