• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Game Over Wupload?

sander k

NLC
Hello guys,

I just followed a link to wupload.com and got this messege instead of the file I wanted.

Note:

Wupload does not allow files to be shared. We are a STORAGE ONLY product so you can only download your own files.

If you have uploaded this file yourself, login first in order to download it.

Are all filehosts going under due this copyright crap?

This began days after Medaupload got blocked.

Its the beginning yes, Virgin Media (among other ISPs in the UK) recently blocked ThePirateBay because of the government.

Yes, I've heard of this trend in the past media (what Dynash said), so it's def expected when suits and legal actions are being passed around.

Interesting to say the least.

I am from the Netherlands and PirateBay is here blocked as well :(
There are still plenty of ways to get on it anyway tho.

Most file sharing sites has become like this since the megaupload case.
SOPA screwed everyone of us up, although it has been dropped...

SOPA is dead, but the idea isn't.

There's been at least 3 other legislations with new names and backers.

CISPA is the big game one, that is SO dangerous yet people don't even pay attention to it!

SOPA is dead, but the idea isn't.

There's been at least 3 other legislations with new names and backers.

CISPA is the big game one, that is SO dangerous yet people don't even pay attention to it!

probably, a lot ppl really thought that when SOPA is dead, the government will not dare to bring back the same idea with the different name.

The problem is file hosts don't just "provide the service" like, say, torrent trackers do. They sell the files via "premium accounts" so of course they need to take down copyrighted work (Megaupload). Mind you that doesn't stop russians from selling "cp" on the internet and getting away with it; so at the end of the day it's a far more trival matter than the one I just mentioned.

The problem is file hosts don't just "provide the service" like, say, torrent trackers do. They sell the files via "premium accounts" so of course they need to take down copyrighted work (Megaupload). Mind you that doesn't stop russians from selling "cp" on the internet and getting away with it; so at the end of the day it's a far more trival matter than the one I just mentioned.

That isn't what caused MU to get done for it though. Years ago they tried a tactic with ThePirateBay, using the fact they had ads and popunders giving them a income, so the lawyers tried to play the "profiting from piracy" card, even though in court that didn't wash - they never took a profit for themselves [I know MU does]. It was just a last straw because they couldn't close them down. It was the same with MU, though MU (as with every other file host, including RapidShare) does comply with file removal if they're correctly filed for a take-down.

The law just didn't care and forcefully shut MU down on the basis they still had a few copyright files on their servers, even though they weren't reported to be taken down (no big file host will browse their servers purposely looking for copyrighted files and remove them for good will, they'll do it when they get a take down notice).

Theories say it was because of their new service Megabox, which with new legislation coming through, seems likely, but we'll never know 100%.

Several file sharing hosts have closed up shop after mega upload was taken down they don't want to face the same problems it would seem

pretty annoyed filesonic went down lots of good stuff shared there

Back