• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to start a webserver

Patrick

I'm thinking about turning one of my PC's into a webserver...I have no idea how to though.

Will it be free?

Will the computer still be usable?

How would I do it?

Thanks. :)

Well, first you're going to need to get some Linux distro's. Download all of them, they're going to take alot of time. No it will not be free, you're still paying for your PC, etc. many IPS's don't allow webserver on their lines, try calling them before you attempt to change your PC into a webserver. No, you shouldn't use the computer, and you're going to need to always keep the CPU on, at all times or all your hosted accounts, or whatever you're doing will be temp. down. If you hadn't attempt resellers yet, I would try that before so you get the hang of it. Then make your way up from there.

It comes to the fact you just don't use a home pc for a webserver. Maby to test some things, but other than that, you just don't do it.

We're like on the "boom" of home servers. No home PC will be able to handle a hosting company

Because using home PC's as webservers, isn't the greatest because of ISPs does anyone have a list of what ISP allows webservers on their line? Or the ones that don't?

Chief said:
Because using home PC's as webservers, isn't the greatest because of ISPs does anyone have a list of what ISP allows webservers on their line? Or the ones that don't?

Again I didin't understand a word of what you said

Okay, usually people want to know if Home PC's are okay to use as servers, but one big factor is that your ISP doesn't want webservers on their lines. I just want to know if there's a list of what ISP allow webservers on their lines, and which don't.

I do not know of any such list. It is always best to contact your ISP before setting up a web server at your house. This way there can not be doubts if they allow it or not.

99.99999% of high speed internet providers close the ports needed to be able to serve at home. There is an infinite number of reasons why throwing a computer up at home with a high speed connection is a bad idea

1. no security
2. no uptime guarantee
3. your ip most likely changes
4. you cant do it anyway becaused of closed ports
5. uplink speed is most likely 512k or less
6. you are not even close to being qualified to run a server if you are considering running it out of your home
7. no backup power
8. my hands are tired, there are many more

I don´t think the 99.99999% closed ports is real. Many ISP´s just give you a plan, like x $ for x bandwith/speed, so that may not be the problem. And though port 80 is nice to have for url working corectly, well, there are other ports...

I would sugest a one click free server like abyss x1, a registration at no-ip.com for a free nice url with support for dinamic ip, and you´re ready to go!

now, 3 simple tips to have it working...smothly...

Hot-link images and media content stored in some place,(the space your ISP gives you, for ex: or your site will not run and open in decent times.) and compress images the most you can. In reality, compress everthing the most you can.

the all website starting page for a 512 kbps up-stream MUST not be greater than 30, 50 k at the maximum, or just forget it...clean the code, as many sites have some 60 k in size when created, and after cleaned, they get a nice 8k, 10 k html file. This is crucial.

To be considered a server you must have your PC on all the time, and monitor it daily, checking log files to see your visitors and hacking atempts, otherways, forget it. Just restart some times when the thing crashes or you notice it is slow and un-responsive.

You´ll have lot´s of fun, until you realise you must come here again to freewebspace to have a taste of the real thing;)

anyway, go ahead!. It is fun and a true challenge, a home server.

Last edited:
Back