• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Just another rookie...

Cheap Bastard

Hmm well i'm just wondrin here... I'm looking for a trustworthy host... Extremely good uptime... Fairly good tech support... Not too expensive... Low bandwidth, but expansion features... Little space, FTP access, and traffic logs, CGI, PHP4, ... Kinda the dream host. Preferably US based, or rather North American.

dz-hosting not found...
so far for uptime;)

how can they give 200megs for 9.95 and still have good quality service? Just a thought...

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
how can they give 200megs for 9.95 and still have good quality service? Just a thought...

Because they know most people will never use anywhere near 200Mbs but they like the sound of it so they will pay for it.

If everyone that signed up used their full 200Mbs then the quality would go down as they would need to spend more on hardware and would have even less money for staff.

Technics>>
Little off the topic but... You are from UK, right? Do you or anybody else know the same kind of service that Cheap Bastard is looking for but in Europe. I prefer English as a support language altough German and Swedish are OK too.

All the hosts I have found around EU are extremely high priced or their servers are located somewhere in US.

A week ago I got good offer from a company that I had never heard of...did a search on guys name who offered the space...turns out he was 14 years old!!! They had a nice convincing web site but no TOS, no real names, just sales@xxx.com kind of stuff.

Plus there are a couple of French hosts that when I do tracert I connect through CLARA and they are VERY fast to where I am. What's CLARA?

Top - Yes i'm from the uk - Only service that gives bandwidth cheap is http://www.ghoulnet.com - 50Mb of webspace and 5GB Bandwidth on RaQ3's for £25 a year(inc VAT). You get all the goodies but asp and mysql cost extra i think its £15 a year for mysql and £10 a year for asp. Those prices all include VAT.

If you need a more custom package feel free to email me at technics@flashtechnics.com may i could give u some space on my server.

Originally posted by top
Technics>>
All the hosts I have found around EU are extremely high priced or their servers are located somewhere in US.

A week ago I got good offer from a company that I had never heard of...did a search on guys name who offered the space...turns out he was 14 years old!!! They had a nice convincing web site but no TOS, no real names, just sales@xxx.com kind of stuff.

Plus there are a couple of French hosts that when I do tracert I connect through CLARA and they are VERY fast to where I am. What's CLARA?

CLARA is claranet a UK ISP that provides web hosting as well.

These days having servers in the states is not the penalty it used to be in terms of speed and things are getting more and more reliable over the years so an extra 5 or 5 hops is not such a big issue. As for not having a TOS that is a big bad pointer that says stay away.

Originally posted by megacool
Tera-byte doesnt offer PHP and CGI on their first two packages.. that SUCKS majorly! even FWP's these days provide CGI/PHP.

Although most hosts (even with their cheap accounts) *do* offer CGI/PHP this should tell you something. Many hosts limit the features of their lower packages for two reasons:

They hope you'll upgrade (it is a business after all).
They don't want to deal with the problems associated with offering these services for cheapie accounts. You don't have it, you can't bug support about it 3 times a day :)

Really, I'm amazed at what some of the FWP's offer. So many problems with just offering no-feature hosting, and add cgi, sql, etc. Much more than I'd want to deal with for nothing coming my way. (Yes I know, banner ads, revenue, etc.). Guess you have to dare to be different.

Originally posted by Chicken
Although most hosts (even with their cheap accounts) *do* offer CGI/PHP this should tell you something. Many hosts limit the features of their lower packages for two reasons:

They hope you'll upgrade (it is a business after all).
They don't want to deal with the problems associated with offering these services for cheapie accounts. You don't have it, you can't bug support about it 3 times a day :)

Really, I'm amazed at what some of the FWP's offer. So many problems with just offering no-feature hosting, and add cgi, sql, etc. Much more than I'd want to deal with for nothing coming my way. (Yes I know, banner ads, revenue, etc.). Guess you have to dare to be different.

Long LIVE F2s.com, for not that they dont put ads, but for Providing professional server side progz. i.e php/perl/sql/ssi wow! just add a domain and ur done! with a complete paid hosting package, I always wonder how do make their living? They do provide ADSL and premium Web hosting services... but how can it compensate to such a big hosting company now.. becuz people are joining them like MAD!

p.s Long like CROSSWINDS.net too! ;)

Originally posted by top

Plus there are a couple of French hosts that when I do tracert I connect through CLARA and they are VERY fast to where I am. What's CLARA? [/B]

Clara, Is Claranet, good UK based backbone.

Hello
Below10host.com only have php4 on some of their plans (the ones hosted on servers at VDI).
If this is important to you check which server they are putting you on.

Gordon

Hello, I just wanted to say I use wannahost.com
and they have been great. They have cheap prices and they allow you 30 days free to see if you like them. Support is a little slow but you do get answers.

Back