• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need A Firewall

Neglito

Hey,

I've been using ZoneAlarm and its been pissing me off. It takes forever to connect with kazaa and it constantly kicks me off AIM. Does anybody reccomend a good firewall? Thanks...

technically hardware firewalls use firmware not software, if you want to go that far into semantics

Robert said:
A lot people think that hardware firewalls exist. They don't in that way.
That is still considered a "hardware" firewall.

Yes, it is a strange and improper name, but it's still correct under today's standards.

I've used Sygate Personal Firewall (link posted above) and it's a good firewall. Has lots of advanced features. I like it a lot better than any other firewall I've used (ie, Norton, ZoneAlarm).

Excuse me Robert. I used that term because in this thread (about firewalls) it got my point across the easiest without confusing anyone. I seriously doubted anyone would raise a fuss about my somewhat-incorrect terminology, obviously I was wrong in that thought.

What's wrong with ZoneAlarm? Were you using the Pro or the Suite version? Does Sygate have a trial version of their software?

Neglito said:
Does anybody reccomend a good firewall?

A great hardware firewall solution: if you have an old 386 or higher computer lying around, you could look at www.freesco.org

It's a small unix-based router, yet can be configured to firewall.

Just on stability: about 2-3 years ago, my brother had cable, so he used to run freesco on an old box and I used to dial-in to his network, then go out via his Internet connection, so its really stable. It saved me in the end. I used it after that as a firewall/router, it was great, and could a dial up or ADSL connection alive really well.

There is a great support forum to go with it. It should be able to supply you with almost everything you need in a firewall.

So it's an option ;) Even if you ebay yourself an old computer and run it that way. :cool2:

jmiller said:
Firmware:
"Computer programming instructions that are stored in a read-only memory unit rather than being implemented through software."

I think he want to say firewall but not firmware ( I know what is firmware :p )

Back