• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

redrival signup??

Redrival hasn't been accepting new accounts for some time now. I'm not sure when or if they will start taking signups again.

RedRival is a shitty host and I don't reccomend them. 20MBs, no ads SOUNDS good but considering their slow speeds and broken promisses (sp?) they suck. They've been saying CGI is coming for about, hmmm, 1½ years now and do they have it? No. Liquid2k.com has the same thing, I've hosted there too, and only encountered 1 FTP downtime for about 12 hours but nothing else than that....

Hello,

RedRival slow? I don't think you've been to RedRival in a long while. Check it out.

Signups have been suspended but should be available soon. We are now entering our Full Upgrades phase. These upgrades should be completed within 7-10 days and signups will finally be reinstated soon after. These upgrades will be a massive improvement over the current system.

As for offering CGI, this is not something an Free Web Host can go into lightly. The security risks and economic factors limit us in what we can do. Having said that, if RedRival goes anywhere, it's in the direction of offering CGI.

Thanks,
bye...

Once upon a time, Redrival was the best FWP out there. Then it became overcrowded, and you know the story. However, I always felt that their philosophy was pretty good.

I did check up on your site and it does seem to be a lot faster then before...I certainly hope that you can get things straightened out and make Redrival what it used to be!

Best of luck to you!! and post when the site is ready! :)

Originally posted by Matt

RedRival slow? I don't think you've been to RedRival in a long while. Check it out.

You're right. More like painfully sluggish on my 56k.

Signups have been suspended but should be available soon. We are now entering our Full Upgrades phase. These upgrades should be completed within 7-10 days and signups will finally be reinstated soon after. These upgrades will be a massive improvement over the current system.

A long time ago I had a site on RedRival. One of my first websites, and it was alright no ads was the only real plus. Anywho, I lost ALL, that's right ALL of my members/visitors because RR was 'updating'. I was pissed, but thought to myself, "Hey, they're new, I'll give them a break". Well, I started up a reincarnation(sp?) of that same site, built it all up, got new members. Then what happens? 'Sorry, you cannot access your account because we had a server downtime, we had to do updates, we had to fix this we had to do this, we aren't getting any profit' blah blah blah, a crock of bullshit is all that that was. If you wanted profit, implement a hypermart or virtualave type banner system. I don't mind banners if i can place them... so what? it's about one year after all my experiences with RR and they're still 'updating'. It's all a bunch of bull shit.

As for offering CGI, this is not something an Free Web Host can go into lightly. The security risks and economic factors limit us in what we can do. Having said that, if RedRival goes anywhere, it's in the direction of offering CGI.

Yeah, I guess that's why some 12 year old kid in Florida could just boot his computer with Linux, run a server with cgi, php, mysql, etc off a DSL line without any security risks? Now, I'm not a EXPERT at servers or anything but I think that that security risk stuff is just more bullshit to put it off longer.

and that's my $0.02

[Edited by Nick on 11-04-2000 at 12:57 AM]

Yeah, I guess that's why some 12 year old kid in Florida could just boot his computer with Linux, run a server with cgi, php, mysql, etc off a DSL line without any security risks? I've had friends run ftp servers off their parents' networked t1/t3 from their offices and not have any security risks... Now, I'm not a EXPERT at servers or anything but I think that that security risk stuff is just more bullshit to put it off longer.

I dont want to seem like a RedRival defender, b/c im not, but I do have to agree that CGI is a security risk if you give accounts with them enabled. _Although_, its not hard to patch up...usually takes about 2 days to think of everything bad that can happen. We'll see if RedRival can get its act together...who knows...

Oh, and since when did FTP servers make use of CGI? :)

Dammit, I started meandering in speach again. Got a little carried away over that site i lost on RR a long time ago. Ok, It's fixed now.

[Edited by Nick on 11-04-2000 at 12:58 AM]

Now, I'm not a EXPERT at servers or anything but I think that that security risk stuff is just more bullshit to put it off longer.

Just something to keep in mind...if you look at the server error logs of any popular FWP, on average every 8-20th hit on that site will be a hacking attempt. Most of these are done by scriptkiddies who try silly things like ../../../passwd trying to read you password, etc. But some are more sophisticated...like getting a CGI script to read the passwd file (since by default its world readable) and so forth. Sendmail is also a huge problem.

Most professtional web hosts have entire teams that are dedicated to security only. NoMonthlyFees.com, which I have advocated in the past, has a dedicated crew that just scans network I/Os for hackers. A friend of mine at tcyber.com inspects IP packets as his job. Thus, security should not be taken lightly.

Granted, its prob not the most important thing, but if you are someone like RR who has a potential 100,000+ users, security is and "will" be a problem.

And thats my two cents :)

Ha...think security is a load of crap huh? Dont know much about it then do you? I once had an entire category with hundreds of member accounts in it deleted due to a security hole. Luckily I had good backups and it was easily replaced. Talking about a kid in Florida with a DSL connection....a DSL 'might' be able to host 5 full time accounts, in which I dont think I'd be too concerned over monitoring 5 little ole sites. Theres a BIG difference between monitoring a few like that, and monitoring numbers reaching into the hundreds of thousands. And yeah, the financial problems are very real, and even once you get past that you find tons of other issues you must face.

Originally posted by Webdude
Ha...think security is a load of crap huh? Dont know much about it then do you? I once had an entire category with hundreds of member accounts in it deleted due to a security hole. Luckily I had good backups and it was easily replaced. Talking about a kid in Florida with a DSL connection....a DSL 'might' be able to host 5 full time accounts, in which I dont think I'd be too concerned over monitoring 5 little ole sites. Theres a BIG difference between monitoring a few like that, and monitoring numbers reaching into the hundreds of thousands. And yeah, the financial problems are very real, and even once you get past that you find tons of other issues you must face.

Well, considering the fact that new hosts can just pop on the scene with CGI, PHP, mySQl, etc etc etc. How come it takes RR nearly two years to install CGI? The point I'm trying to get at (whether i'm doing a good job at getting it out or not) is that why did RR promise(sp?) CGI if they couldn't get it? Why not just say: "Well, we can't get CGI for a while because of security risks" insted of "It's coming","It's coming","It's coming","It's coming","It's coming","It's coming", etc etc etc etc??? Why not just tell the truth instead of making unfullfillable(sp? is that even a word?) promises(sp?)

That's what I'm trying to say....

Hello,

The security risks of offering CGI is not the only downfall, for the host. Besides that, the only way I would accept offering CGI is segregated on a separate server, and servers cost money, especially the kind of hardware it takes to handle thousands of users using CGI. So, obviously our ad-free stance to web hosting puts us at a disadvantage, in that regard.

Ad-free hosts are for those people who don't want advertising on their site. It just so happens that there's only a few ad-free hosts around offering decent features. So, if you don't mind advertisements on your site, there are literally thousands of options, some of which offer even more features than RedRival. I'm sure you'd be happier at another host.

I'm just trying to explain the reasons why we say we want to offer CGI, but have yet to offer it. I hope you understand our position now.

Thanks,
bye...

Um...how are you going to accomplish getting CGIs to store and execute on another server? You could do hard links in *nix to take care of the paths (if you use NFS), but doesn't apache only accept relative links in aliased directories?

Anyway, it doesn't matter much...I hope you can get it working :) Best of Luck!

Hello,

This has yet to be determined, and Apache can always be "hacked". :)

If CGI were put on a separate server, this definitely would limit some of the possibilities that users would be able to implement, but this would all come under the feasibility and risk factor.

We've discussed the possibility of "local" CGI execution, and it also could be done(just have to make sure all our security concerns are dealt with). We'll just have to see, and, of course, wait... :)

Thanks,
bye...

You could 'hack' Apache, but then the URL would, by mandatory annoyance, be changed and local scripts would be changed. You would also have problems allowing Apache the user access on the other server. In order to run CGI, you need to be logged in (Apache uses Nobody by default - which btw is a security risk in itself) and thus, people using CGI on your site will have to make major modifications to their code...

Anyway, I dont think you should abandon the idea of CGI on the same server...its not _that_ hard to secure, and if you need help doing so, please send me an email...

If you do choose to put CGI on another server, may I dare say why offer it at all...If its going to be so hard for the user to make use of it...

Anyway thats my 2 cents, but of course its your server and thus the decision is completely yours! So good luck whatever option you choose!

Hello,

Well, same-server execution is preferable, and we'll attempt to do that if at all possible. I guess when I said I would only consider CGI on a segregated server, I was too quick and didn't consider my words. Of course, CGI can work on the the same server and be secured with a little work.

We have never abandoned the idea of offering CGI, that has been one of our major focuses to offer as a feature. Essentially because no ad-free service, to date(f2s.net, excepted...but then again, they're backed by an ISP who is loosing money on the free hosting to hopefully have converts to their paid hosting) has been able to offer it, for this reason, we wanted to offer whatever we reasonably could, without advertisement interference.

Thanks,
bye...

Back