• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Setting up NS with MSFT DNS

levis

Hi,
I just setup another Windows Server 2003 server with IIS and all other additions. Anyways, i'm interested on how one would go on to setup NameServers with Microsoft DNS. While I can use Bind as a DNS service, i'm trying to learn something new.

So I have 8 Static IP's
I'd like to use one for NS1.DOMAIN.COM
I'd Like to use one for NS2.DOMAIN.COM

What i'm pretty much asking is how i should setup one domain account, such as domain.com. How to set the NS's, and A records.
Regards,
Levis

Sorry i'm not explaining myself broadly, i'm in a hurry.

You'd be using Active directory & DNS services, the machine will require AD to be running for this and it's too involved for a forum, best try MS Developer/TechNet for that info.

You do not need active directory to run the DNS Service.. but he is right. read up on it.. to much to explain here

If you need help, you can contact me and I will be more then happy to help.

Thanks,
Adam
adam@igchosting.com

You do not need active directory to run the DNS Service..

Suppose that's true and not at the same time, DNS is now an integrated part of the Active Directory schema, so it doesn't need a forest AD created just to run the service but certain AD components do require to be active and configured to run it properly.

See what we mean levis :classic2: Confused you will be :)

Try and find an online guide and refer to it while using the 'wizard' (god that's a contradiction in terms) type setup, Adams kind to offer but don't forget it can be a long process between setup, config and running. So don't expect much in 5 minutes, anyway good luck and if you hit specific issues post and ask and hopefully we can step you past that bit :)

Back