• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Shoutcast server question

any offshore shoutcast host here ? soon i m going to start a radio station and i also not have any licence if u know how to get a licence then let me know

You don't "need" a license to stream music, it's just if the RIAA asks you to stop streaming music, if they find out, you would have to stop and buy a license. But in the shoutcast TOS, it does not specifically say you need a license. Also if your shoutcast server is private you wouldnn't need a license. Furthmore, peer to peer in Canada is legal, so streaming would be just as legal. I'd reccomend all of HD's clients go to a shoutcast host who won't force them to have one of these licenses. However, to cover your own back, a license would be reccomended of course. I was under the impression in the past that it was legal to stream these songs as long as you didn't play the same artist more than 3 times in 3 hours.

Last edited:
utcrazy said:
You don't "need" a license to stream music, it's just if the RIAA asks you to stop streaming music, if they find out, you would have to stop and buy a license.

So a license is required, you just contradicted yourself there. We have had legal advice on this & a license is required, royalties have to be paid unless its your own music.

utcrazy said:
Furthmore, peer to peer in Canada is legal, so streaming would be just as legal.

Our shoutcast servers are US based & must follow US laws, it doesn't matter where your based, the music is being streamed in the US on a US IP address in a US datacenter.

utcrazy said:
I'd reccomend all of HD's clients go to a shoutcast host who won't force them to have one of these licenses.

Again, its required by law, most of our shoutcast clients have obtained a license due to our great service, those who haven't obtained a license are breaking the law & we uphold the law.

Craig said:
So a license is required, you just contradicted yourself there. We have had legal advice on this & a license is required, royalties have to be paid unless its your own music.
Legal advice from whom?

Jan said:
Legal advice from whom?

From our advisers who contacted such companies as ASCAP (American Society of Composers and Performers) and BMI (Broadcast Musicians Incorporated), Mechanical Copyright Protection Society, Copyright Advice & Anti-Piracy plus others.

This thread is going way off topic!.

The license issue with us has been sorted so I see no need to continue discussing this unless you have any further questions directly regards
too music licenses, we would recommend you consult a Lawyer.

needed?

I resell SC servers. Am I required to make sure all stations under on my servers have a license?

Isn't it the stations job to license them selfs.

Baiscly I don't care if they do or don't, but I don't want to get sued over one of my users stations.

I always assumed that they are responsable for thier own content.

The server isn't really mine either.

I'm just a reseller.

Who does the blame fall on?

The users, the reseller or the server owner?

I'd think a well worded TOS would cover my ---. What do you all think?

Well; I am unaware of any UK laws. It would be nice to get Craigs responce on the matter.

On the US law; are there any fee's or license involved if it's only a chat show or the music is your own?
I know for a fact that the UK licences are a total rip off and way too expensive.

ROb

Everything in the UK is...

I find that very annoying. Or how about everything in the USA is too cheap more like? And how about that George Bush of yours? Well I don't want to get into a flame-war.

If you actually compare prices with currency-conversion, you'll find that most things are average priced.

Any non-Third World countries (for lack of a better term) have some form of this law.

I can't speak for the UK, but I know in the US the current royalty fee rate is ~7 cents per-song/per-listener.

WTH
Thats lame another attack from the US to screw up online communitys
Im guessing ill be moving my servers out of the US soon enough :p

You could get passed this law tho.

By banning illegal streaming of music then if it happens it falls on back on to the client.

Last edited:
With Being a radio broadcaster, it is true that you need a license for public broadcast of music, a lot of the times the fees will be in relation to how much comercially your station makes. Techically it should be enforced in all countried because copyright infringement is copyright infringement, no matter what. So it is true that a license is required, there are many providers of these, but be careful to amke sure they are real, and what record lables they actually cover. You don't need a license if you created the music, or if it is a talk show.

Back