• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what to buy for youtube clone? not many vids

JJH35

I was wondering what kinda server would be needed to effectively run a youtube clone script such as clip-share, ostube, phpmotion.. those types of things but there will only be around 5-10 videos at the most but a lot of traffic viewing them.

If you could give any opinions what min requirements for like ram, processor and stuff like that..

thanks

yeah, im looking for server specs as in how much "resources" these types of scripts take up for RAM usage, processor and stuff

prolly anywhere from 500-1500 uniques per day

Your going to need a server with at least 2 CPUs/Processors either Dual-Core or Quad-Core. Also, you'll be needing at least 4GB RAM and maybe an unmetered line.

since you are intrested in buying, why don't you ask the seller to provide hosting too?

Using this:
1000 uniques per day
5 videos @ 10mb's each
each visitor watches all 5 videos

1550000 MB / month
which is
1.5 TB / month

BUT: That does NOT count repeat visits, on average, I would imagine that 80% of your users would come back to watch at least 1 video again. 100GB more gone, 60% would come back to watch 2 video's thats 320GB more gone, and 5% may come back and watch all them again, thats 77GB more gone.

And then, if you get more traffic, as you can see, you would EASILY use 2TB of bandwidth from the lower end of your scale. And easily use 6TB from the top end.

Plus. Video streaming uses ALOT of resources up. It does not matter how many videos you have, if you expect to get that amount of visitors in a day, you would need a 3Ghz DualCore MINIMUM and 2GB RAM Minimum, 3GB to be sure, and the higher end of your estimate, would need 4GB RAM, and a quad core minimum.

Why not just use youtube dammit?

and to alaborate on that, you can use a normal free video service, and create your own FLV flash player. thats if you are planning to just host videos, or if you are using the site just to make some money from adsence, you shouldn't waste your time.

well im not gonna discuss the idea as to why i want to set something like this up... but by embed the videos on my site (that play from youtube) does that requirement much for resources? is that still heavy on the hardware just not the bandwidth?

It's much lighter for the hardware. I don't know if the youtube stream goes directly to the client or if it goes to the server and from the server to the client.
If it goes directly, you don't need heavy hardware. If it goes to the server, you'll need heave hardware. That's all I can say.

And if you use the youtube player and embed it on you website, you won't have any issues at all (even free hosting will be enough)

Back