+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoutcast server question

CRM Consultant Richard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to behold
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoutcast server question

Hey everyone,

I just got this email from HD (HostingDepartment.net) and I am just wondering if there is any truth to the matter.

Due to changes in our policies we have to verify some details. All new & hosted shoutcast services will need to provide a license. This is required by law. Any new & current shoutcast accounts must now have a radio/streaming license to stream music on our servers. All shoutcast services will now be suspended until this is verified. You can email your license details to: license@hdshoutcast.com.

If these details are not sent within 72 hours any shoutcast account which hasn't been verified will be removed.

Streaming music without a license is breaking the law & carries a maximum fine of $10000.

Regards

John King

Head Of Shoutcast Services (HD, HDS)
    But what if the music is your own? Do you still need a license? And are HD alowed to suspend your shoutcast if you don't provide one because you are only streaming your own music? What if your not streaming music at all? And it's a chat show?
    Quote Originally Posted by PHPRalph View Post
    Greetings?!?!
    Condign got to this part and am looking saucy to chilling gone from concluded here and hainging with all

ServerOrigin.Com serverorigin has disabled reputation serverorigin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am honestly unsure of what license he is speaking of. Doing a search for Shoutcast License/licensing doesn't really provide anything.

Wish I could help more, but we don't deal in Shoutcast services.
    • ServerOrigin.Com • ethProxy™ DDoS Mitigation • Protect your current server in minutes! •
    [Intrusion Detection • CDN • DDoS Protected VPS • DDoS Cloud Hosting • 99.99% SLA • AnyCast IP Services]
    [Enterprise-Class DDoS Protection • Automated Datacenter Failover • Serving more than 1 million domains!]

Blitzkrieg Bopin' Dini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of light Dini's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard about this, it may not be a lie. I have several clients buying licences because of this "rumor". I haven't heard nothing official yet, so I can't suspend any account over this
    Alfredo Mella
    +1-530-346-4007
    vomit free since 93'

NLC Bruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of light Bruce's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hosting-shack
    But what if the music is your own? Do you still need a license? And are HD alowed to suspend your shoutcast if you don't provide one because you are only streaming your own music? What if your not streaming music at all? And it's a chat show?
    You'd have to take that one up with them. I d on't see why you'd need a "license" to stream your own original content though.
    Last edited by Bruce; July 14th, 2006 at 17:35.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Marketing Guru Eclouds is just really niceEclouds is just really niceEclouds is just really niceEclouds is just really nice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have heard about it also, you need to get one from a company like loudcity.net
    Last edited by Eclouds; July 14th, 2006 at 17:29.
    Internet Marketing Services
    In-House Search Engine Optimization - Social Media Management - Pay per click management
    FREE Website Analysis and Proposal.

Lifes Good Craig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of light Craig's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

This is true, streaming music without a license is an offence, you have to pay royalties to the artists, its the same with radio stations (FM, AM etc etc, key 103 etc etc lol). This can cost though, the cheapest provider is: http://www.loudcity.net.

*Most* of HD Shoutcast clients don't have a license, same with HDs shoutcast clients, now we require them *BY LAW*, this keeps us protected & also the client to operate a legal radio station. We wont accept any shoutcast order (s) that don't have a license to stream.

@Bruce, that is fine, a new email was sent about that, the above email was regards to a policy change mainly which was sent to all clients as we have to let clients know if we change our terms.

@HS, we had to suspend to find which streams were the chat shows, which was the stations that played there own music, once they had been filtered they were back online, we are still reviewing some streams though. Basically this started when a record company contacted us regards to one of our clients, I cant post detail on this due to privacy reasons but we acted & this is the result.
    Last edited by Craig; July 14th, 2006 at 18:22.

-- Galaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of lightGalaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of lightGalaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of lightGalaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of lightGalaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of lightGalaxy-Hosts.com is a glorious beacon of light Galaxy-Hosts.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had to deal with this because I do not offer shoutcast servers. But I am curious what country or countries have this law?
    Patrick - Galaxy-Solutions, LLC
    Dedicated Servers (http://galaxy-solutions.net) Hosting (http://galaxy-hosts.com)
    (386) 984-3717
    Why Us? (Click here to find out!)

NLC Bruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of lightBruce is a glorious beacon of light Bruce's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any non-Third World countries (for lack of a better term) have some form of this law.

I can't speak for the UK, but I know in the US the current royalty fee rate is ~7 cents per-song/per-listener.
    Last edited by Bruce; July 14th, 2006 at 20:46.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Blitzkrieg Bopin' Dini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of lightDini is a glorious beacon of light Dini's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Any non-Third World countries (for lack of a better term) have some form of this law.

I can't speak for the UK, but I know in the US the current royalty fee rate is ~7 cents per-song/per-listener.
    Excuse me, I'm in a "Third World" Country and we have laws that punish Online Radios with no licence. I had a friend to had to buy a licence for his readio because of this law.

We're not that retarded
    Alfredo Mella
    +1-530-346-4007
    vomit free since 93'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, "for lack of a better term". If you have a better term you're more than welcome to share it.

It's not a fact that this is true for [i]all[i/] Third World countries, but most are not nearly as strict when it comes to piracy/copyright laws and such.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think that's a very strong argument for someone that doesn't live in a Third World Country (I think). I've seen people selling pirate CDs, DVDs, Toys, etc. being arrested hundreds of times. I think that most of this countries are making the attempt to stop piracy, but that is not shown in statistics and in the news.
    Alfredo Mella
    +1-530-346-4007
    vomit free since 93'

CRM Consultant Richard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to beholdRichard is a splendid one to behold
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well; I am unaware of any UK laws. It would be nice to get Craigs responce on the matter.

On the US law; are there any fee's or license involved if it's only a chat show or the music is your own?
    Greetings?!?!
    Condign got to this part and am looking saucy to chilling gone from concluded here and hainging with all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the US law; are there any fee's or license involved if it's only a chat show or the music is your own?
    No. If it's your own content you're free to do with it as you like.

A license would only apply if you intend to play any commerically available music.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    No. If it's your own content you're free to do with it as you like.

A license would only apply if you intend to play any commerically available music.
    So why the hell have they suspended EVERY shoutcast account...?
    Greetings?!?!

Lifes Good Craig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of lightCraig is a glorious beacon of light Craig's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why the hell have they suspended EVERY shoutcast account...?
    If you read my reply ^^ you will understand, that question has already been answered.

+ Reply to Thread