Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoutcast server question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume hosting department will be sending a refund for this months hosting for every account that they cancel, else I mayself would believe it to be border line scam.

note: I have interest in this thread myself do to reselling for them for shoutcast.

Even if there terms say no refunds whos to say they wont change the terms tomorrow for shared/resellers accounts to supply a valid credit card or something to order and rest are deleted and keep all the profit.

Maybe I read it wrong but I seem to recall hdshoutcast.com advertising no licence was needed.

This was there mistake not there clients mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

How is this a scam, you need a license anywayif your streaming copyrighted music, law requires this.

We NEVER stated that a license isnt needed to stream.

If you want to use our service you need a license unless its your own music or talkshow, if not you need a license otherwise its not a legal station. As you are a reseller its up to you to contact your clients to find this out, 95% of our shoutcast clients have provided this as they understand our service is good & there willing to pay to go legal to continue.

Some refunds will be issued depending on when the stream was setup, otherwise as stated, no refunds.

Marketing Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is definitely not a scam, I won't add anything other than what Craig said ^^
    Internet Marketing Services
    In-House Search Engine Optimization - Social Media Management - Pay per click management
    FREE Website Analysis and Proposal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HostingDepartment -- as with any host I'm sure would much rather see the clients getting licensed so that they will continue their subscriptions. Otherwise, do you think they make money with a bunch of suspended accounts? Put a little thought into it before screaming scam.
    • ServerOrigin.Com • ethProxy™ DDoS Mitigation • Protect your current server in minutes! •
    [Intrusion Detection • CDN • DDoS Protected VPS • DDoS Cloud Hosting • 99.99% SLA • AnyCast IP Services]
    [Enterprise-Class DDoS Protection • Automated Datacenter Failover • Serving more than 1 million domains!]

CRM Consultant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecsportal
    Otherwise, do you think they make money with a bunch of suspended accounts? Put a little thought into it before screaming scam.

Yes. All clients paid for the month, and hostingdepartment got payment for the whole month.

But not to worry; This has been sorted now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHPRalph View Post
    Greetings?!?!
    Condign got to this part and am looking saucy to chilling gone from concluded here and hainging with all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any offshore shoutcast host here ? soon i m going to start a radio station and i also not have any licence if u know how to get a licence then let me know

Marketing Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a license at http://loudcity.net

Good luck!
    Internet Marketing Services
    In-House Search Engine Optimization - Social Media Management - Pay per click management
    FREE Website Analysis and Proposal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't "need" a license to stream music, it's just if the RIAA asks you to stop streaming music, if they find out, you would have to stop and buy a license. But in the shoutcast TOS, it does not specifically say you need a license. Also if your shoutcast server is private you wouldnn't need a license. Furthmore, peer to peer in Canada is legal, so streaming would be just as legal. I'd reccomend all of HD's clients go to a shoutcast host who won't force them to have one of these licenses. However, to cover your own back, a license would be reccomended of course. I was under the impression in the past that it was legal to stream these songs as long as you didn't play the same artist more than 3 times in 3 hours.
    Last edited by utcrazy; August 7th, 2006 at 19:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utcrazy
    You don't "need" a license to stream music, it's just if the RIAA asks you to stop streaming music, if they find out, you would have to stop and buy a license.
    So a license is required, you just contradicted yourself there. We have had legal advice on this & a license is required, royalties have to be paid unless its your own music.

Furthmore, peer to peer in Canada is legal, so streaming would be just as legal.
    Our shoutcast servers are US based & must follow US laws, it doesn't matter where your based, the music is being streamed in the US on a US IP address in a US datacenter.

I'd reccomend all of HD's clients go to a shoutcast host who won't force them to have one of these licenses.
    Again, its required by law, most of our shoutcast clients have obtained a license due to our great service, those who haven't obtained a license are breaking the law & we uphold the law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken, I could defend myself without saying anything illegal.

Peace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    So a license is required, you just contradicted yourself there. We have had legal advice on this & a license is required, royalties have to be paid unless its your own music.
    Legal advice from whom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    Legal advice from whom?
    From our advisers who contacted such companies as ASCAP (American Society of Composers and Performers) and BMI (Broadcast Musicians Incorporated), Mechanical Copyright Protection Society, Copyright Advice & Anti-Piracy plus others.

This thread is going way off topic!.

The license issue with us has been sorted so I see no need to continue discussing this unless you have any further questions directly regards
    too music licenses, we would recommend you consult a Lawyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad needed?

I resell SC servers. Am I required to make sure all stations under on my servers have a license?

Isn't it the stations job to license them selfs.

Baiscly I don't care if they do or don't, but I don't want to get sued over one of my users stations.

I always assumed that they are responsable for thier own content.

The server isn't really mine either.

I'm just a reseller.

Who does the blame fall on?

The users, the reseller or the server owner?

I'd think a well worded TOS would cover my ---. What do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hosting-shack View Post
    Well; I am unaware of any UK laws. It would be nice to get Craigs responce on the matter.

On the US law; are there any fee's or license involved if it's only a chat show or the music is your own?
    I know for a fact that the UK licences are a total rip off and way too expensive.

ROb
    Bang Bang. Your Dead. LMAO.
    MSN: robertall@robertall.com | AIM: vckyallen

CRM Consultant
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert allen View Post
    I know for a fact that the UK licences are a total rip off and way too expensive.

ROb
    Everything in the UK is...
    Quote Originally Posted by PHPRalph View Post
    Greetings?!?!
    Condign got to this part and am looking saucy to chilling gone from concluded here and hainging with all