Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: How many sites can a linux / cpanel server handle?

  1. #16
    NLC sander k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even a free host shouldn't oversell.

  2. #17
    b&
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i oversell has users don't use that much space

  3. #18
    Entrepreneur deeplist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auburn, IN - USA
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwiscool View Post
    i oversell has users don't use that much space
    GTFO. You have no valuable info to contribute here.
    Charles Decker IV
    Decker Services LLC - President / Owner
    SN95 Mustang Forums - Site Technician / Moderation Team

  4. #19
    NLC sander k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwiscool View Post
    i oversell has users don't use that much space
    Then don't offer that much.

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
    You said you were investigating for a possible free host. If you actually plan on starting this "free host" then you might as well take the suggestions and info here and study it with a fine tooth comb and learn something rather than trying to discredit everything. Apparently, you don't care about the actual machine load and only how many accounts you can stuff on it under 0 load? What purpose does that serve when it's simply not relevant at all. How would that benefit you when you're trying to collect info to start a host?

    Get real. What we're telling you is that ideally, a server can handle a few hundred accounts before suffering ill effects. Take our information for what it's worth. We have the experience that you lack or else you wouldn't be asking in the first place.
    I do respect your values and that's why I love sharing my ideas and also learn your tactics. But then again, when you think from the scratch , why cant a linux box with cpanel on it create thousands of sites on it, assuming none is getting any visitors. I know that widows cant do it earlier due to file system limitation and few other things. Then why cant linux do it? The reason bugs me.

    I am not saying linux cant do it. So I will soon start a test run on a linux box.

    Now lets get to the interesting part. There is a host out there called x10hosting and many others who have a huge number of users on their free hosting service. For example x10 has over 400k users. That means if they have 500 sites/users per server then they have 800 servers, that is awefully costly and impossible to run, economically speaking. Thats what challenges your argument about overloading. Because they have done it. Its real.

  6. #21
    Entrepreneur deeplist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auburn, IN - USA
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    Now lets get to the interesting part. There is a host out there called x10hosting and many others who have a huge number of users on their free hosting service. For example x10 has over 400k users. That means if they have 500 sites/users per server then they have 800 servers, that is awefully costly and impossible to run, economically speaking. Thats what challenges your argument about overloading. Because they have done it. Its real.
    I am speculating that A) their hosting spans more than one machine, and B) their servers are probably extremely oversold.

    It IS possible to have 5000+ users on a single machine. I've seen it first hand. Is it practical? No. Was it stable? No. Was it oversold? Extremely.
    Charles Decker IV
    Decker Services LLC - President / Owner
    SN95 Mustang Forums - Site Technician / Moderation Team

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
    I am speculating that A) their hosting spans more than one machine, and B) their servers are probably extremely oversold.

    It IS possible to have 5000+ users on a single machine. I've seen it first hand. Is it practical? No. Was it stable? No. Was it oversold? Extremely.
    I know its smells a bit fishy but some where within that mess they have figured out a business model that works and they are successful at it. Their servers are also not too slow, i have used it on several occasions.

    What enlightens me are mainly two things. If the are doing it then linux must have passed that barrier of hosting 5k or 10k sites per server. Bcs thats the only affordable figure that matches with many such hosts lately. Secondly most sites on such hosts are dead. So if the server can handle many sites then the business becomes economically viable. And for those sties which does bring in some crowd, I can bring in the cash to afford it some how.

    Cant wait to setup my cpanel box and give it a try!

  8. #23
    Entrepreneur deeplist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auburn, IN - USA
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    Cant wait to setup my cpanel box and give it a try!
    All I gotta say is, I feel sorry for your future clients.
    Charles Decker IV
    Decker Services LLC - President / Owner
    SN95 Mustang Forums - Site Technician / Moderation Team

  9. #24
    FWS Addict Seraphim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Drawing Board
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    Now lets get to the interesting part. There is a host out there called x10hosting and many others who have a huge number of users on their free hosting service. For example x10 has over 400k users. That means if they have 500 sites/users per server then they have 800 servers, that is awefully costly and impossible to run, economically speaking. Thats what challenges your argument about overloading. Because they have done it. Its real.
    Or, x10 hosting has a clustered server arrangement they are using to pool the required resources. Using that they could actually do the whole job with only one maybe two such clusters, but they still would show issues with any software limitations.

    I'm curious myself about this, since you have a valid point that with Linux being open source surely someone out there has a fix for the UID limitation especially if some hosts actually do have thousands of users to a machine.

    But in practice by the time you actually get said thousands of users in a production environment you should be able to make enough money off of them to afford a fleet of servers and staff to manage them all. Now on the bench it might be a different story, but on the bench you can safely ignore overselling effects because none of the resources are actually being used.

    I think the best way to find out is to just get in there and do it, perhaps develop a script to automate the setup and teardown so you can experiment with different stress levels to see what happens. I'd love to hear the results, because even though I am never going to oversell my stuff there may come a time when I have sufficiently large hardware to actually put thousands of people onto the same operating system install- either using clustered hardware, or a really big machine that actually has the resources to pass around.

    Also, I can see where having such huge numbers of clients can make the server difficult to manage. Almost all of the daemons have to reload their config file any time they are started or restarted. Apache and MySQL in particular are likely to take a long time to do this because each account will make an entry in the configuration files.

    Plus if your servers use PHP CGI or some other method of running PHP as the owning user, you'll find very quickly that you'll run out of open process IDs because each account on even the slightest of traffic will attempt to launch and maintain a worker process for PHP processing.
    SeraphimLabs LLC, persistent hosting for your needs.
    Come what may we'll be there for you, keeping your dreams safe and growing.
    Chat with us, you don't have to be hosted by SeraphimLabs to get general tech help.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by deeplist View Post
    All I gotta say is, I feel sorry for your future clients.
    NO, you wont. I am not gonna put 30k sites on a machine. This is just for a test situation. But I would love to successfully load a linux box with 30k sites on a test situation. Bcs that has other benefits and rewards for the future.

    Pls take a peek at my next post after 10min as I am gonna ask some key questions there, which might be of interest.

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Or, x10 hosting has a clustered server arrangement they are using to pool the required resources. Using that they could actually do the whole job with only one maybe two such clusters, but they still would show issues with any software limitations.

    I'm curious myself about this, since you have a valid point that with Linux being open source surely someone out there has a fix for the UID limitation especially if some hosts actually do have thousands of users to a machine.

    But in practice by the time you actually get said thousands of users in a production environment you should be able to make enough money off of them to afford a fleet of servers and staff to manage them all. Now on the bench it might be a different story, but on the bench you can safely ignore overselling effects because none of the resources are actually being used.

    I think the best way to find out is to just get in there and do it, perhaps develop a script to automate the setup and teardown so you can experiment with different stress levels to see what happens. I'd love to hear the results, because even though I am never going to oversell my stuff there may come a time when I have sufficiently large hardware to actually put thousands of people onto the same operating system install- either using clustered hardware, or a really big machine that actually has the resources to pass around.

    Also, I can see where having such huge numbers of clients can make the server difficult to manage. Almost all of the daemons have to reload their config file any time they are started or restarted. Apache and MySQL in particular are likely to take a long time to do this because each account will make an entry in the configuration files.

    Plus if your servers use PHP CGI or some other method of running PHP as the owning user, you'll find very quickly that you'll run out of open process IDs because each account on even the slightest of traffic will attempt to launch and maintain a worker process for PHP processing.
    Ok there might be a few newbe queries that you or others here can answer me.

    First what is this linux UID about? Does it put a barrier on how many sites a cPanel box can have? Why ? Any idea?

    Even if there is any such limits the free hosts have bypassed it some how. even the big free hosts dont look like companies with a supercomputer. I woudnt say they have more that pc servers, looking at their sites! I believe that is finely doing the task for them. so no sweat.

    I need to know a little more about how cpanel and linux handle sites? Please shed me some light. Does every site consumes or reserves some memory when active? That would ruin they day bcs not many sites can be active at the same time then. However if sites shares the memory and dont reserve for each site then we can handle huge traffic there.

  12. #27
    Entrepreneur deeplist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auburn, IN - USA
    Posts
    3,382
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    First what is this linux UID about?
    I'm sorry, but you have no business being a host at this point. Go play with Linux some more and then come back.
    Charles Decker IV
    Decker Services LLC - President / Owner
    SN95 Mustang Forums - Site Technician / Moderation Team

  13. #28
    NLC
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    I do respect your values and that's why I love sharing my ideas and also learn your tactics. But then again, when you think from the scratch , why cant a linux box with cpanel on it create thousands of sites on it, assuming none is getting any visitors. I know that widows cant do it earlier due to file system limitation and few other things. Then why cant linux do it? The reason bugs me.

    I am not saying linux cant do it. So I will soon start a test run on a linux box.

    Now lets get to the interesting part. There is a host out there called x10hosting and many others who have a huge number of users on their free hosting service. For example x10 has over 400k users. That means if they have 500 sites/users per server then they have 800 servers, that is awefully costly and impossible to run, economically speaking. Thats what challenges your argument about overloading. Because they have done it. Its real.
    No lol's allowed. I once disagreed with minor points of X10 Policy but they are still here.

    Let's suppose they can buy hardware at $500 on bulk /special discount. Then sure, they might have 400K users.

    I kept saying that the Free Host industry blinds itself with Small Dollars, so that any random company with $10,000 to burn can rewrite this industry.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TaoPhoenix View Post
    No lol's allowed. I once disagreed with minor points of X10 Policy but they are still here.

    Let's suppose they can buy hardware at $500 on bulk /special discount. Then sure, they might have 400K users.

    I kept saying that the Free Host industry blinds itself with Small Dollars, so that any random company with $10,000 to burn can rewrite this industry.
    You sound like its easy to get clients for free hosting? I thought it was a tough market at the moment!

  15. #30
    NLC
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United States, WA.
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughhosting View Post
    You sound like its easy to get clients for free hosting? I thought it was a tough market at the moment!
    Most people with real sites use paid hosting these days. They don't mind spending $2-$5 p/m on a website if it's actually popular and active.

    The most you're going to get in free hosting for your first year is maybe one or two real sites and around 100-200 idle sites that do nothing other then gather dust. That's not including the, oh, 3000+ spam accounts you're going to have to sort through in the first two months alone. I know this from first hand experience.

Similar Threads

  1. Require Linux Dedicated, Administered, Maintained server for up to 40 sites
    By ragcs in forum Dedicated Server & Reseller Requests
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: April 13th, 2008, 00:36
  2. Call out all dedicated server host, how would you handle Chargebacks?
    By sng in forum Dedicated hosting discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2007, 15:08
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 14th, 2006, 13:37
  4. VPS Request(Linux server+cpanel + WHM)
    By esurfan in forum Dedicated Server & Reseller Requests
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 1st, 2006, 20:47
  5. Host 30 multiple sites 9.99/month no setup Windon Or Linux :)
    By ITahmed in forum Paid hosting offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 17th, 2006, 23:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •