Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That was fast for the first day listed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was fast for the first day listed

The first day listed on freewebspace.net and the sign ups start. I used a simple contact form for sign up. some sent two or three duplicate request. Mostly from China. Most requested hosting for a sub domain. Then I realized they might be live spammers. So that's not going to work. I am getting traffic, but I moved the sign up to a forum. Maybe I can weed out the ones who actually want hosting for there domain. The package is so small a user will have to know how to use it. A script like wordpress is just to big for it. But I got traffic already.

ttb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttb62 View Post
    The first day listed on freewebspace.net and the sign ups start. I used a simple contact form for sign up. some sent two or three duplicate request. Mostly from China. Most requested hosting for a sub domain. Then I realized they might be live spammers. So that's not going to work. I am getting traffic, but I moved the sign up to a forum. Maybe I can weed out the ones who actually want hosting for there domain. The package is so small a user will have to know how to use it. A script like wordpress is just to big for it. But I got traffic already.

ttb
    Welcome to FWS.

I noticed this too, every time I make a hosting offer for a few days after that I get 2-3 signups a day originating from Chinese and Russian address space with bot-like info. Unfortunately enough hosts use automatic activation and these bots actually do succeed in getting live accounts.

Not sure though if there is anything that can be done about it here at FWS, but filtering the signups is relatively effective if time consuming.
    SeraphimLabs LLC, persistent hosting for your needs.
    Come what may we'll be there for you, keeping your dreams safe and growing.
    Chat with us, you don't have to be hosted by SeraphimLabs to get general tech help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get these all the time, at least 20-30 per day. It's just a matter of thorough checking by your staff. Many are attempting to get smart and are using US addresses and American names...even US proxies. Just have to be really careful and use due dilligence.
    WSWD Inc., Celebrating our 18th year in business
    WSWD.net - Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Server Hosting
    Blazing Fast SSD VPS That Will Blow Your Mind!! High Performance RAID10 SSD Drives, IPv4, IPv6, and Private IPs
    InstaFree.com - Fast, Reliable Hosting...For FREE!

Zen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of different things you can do to help filter your new signups.

- MaxMind MinFraud checking - http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccfd_promo?promo=WHMCS4562

1000 basic queries per month are free and additional queries are as little as $0.005 per query for standard.

- Use GeoIP blocking to protect your signup page. You can simply block all Russian, Chinese, etc IPs from every reaching your signup page without blocking them server wide.

- Use two or more separate captcha tests that will be difficult for robots to bypass.

http://www.recaptcha.net/ and custom questions such as "What is the third word in second paragraph on our Terms of Service page?" might be a good start.

- Check the signup IP against DNSBL of known problem and proxy IPs and block access to the page to any known bad IPs.
    http://www.againstsilence.com/ by L2P
    99.8% uptime since May 2007 || 99.95% uptime in 2013|| Offering the best in free webhosting since 2000.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good advice there. But I wouldn't make it too hard to sign up as people are kind of tired of all the forms and captcha they have to enter for everything. Out of curiousity, anyone tried requiring signup using facebook connect? I imagine that would reduce spam bots? And it would make it easy to sign up.
    FreeWebspace.net
    FWS opened up in 1996. We are celebrating 18+ years!

Zen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post
    Some good advice there. But I wouldn't make it too hard to sign up as people are kind of tired of all the forms and captcha they have to enter for everything.
    MaxMind checking is offloaded to the billing software (WHMCS, Hostbill, Blesta, etc), GeoIP/DNSBL blocking is handled via Apache extensions such as mod_security and mod_httpbl, and the two captcha tests are only shown on one form one time at signup taking an extra 5 - 10 seconds while they read the Terms of Service and Forum Rules. 90% of it is transparent to the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post
    Out of curiousity, anyone tried requiring signup using facebook connect? I imagine that would reduce spam bots? And it would make it easy to sign up.
    Leaving aside Facebook's extremely poor track record on privacy, Facebook's own signup form uses recapthca.net and email address verification. Beyond that there is no additional confirmation at signup. I don't consider the methods mentioned above to be very difficult from a user perspective. Compared to SMS verification for many Google services, copy and pasting a confirmation code from a linked page is simple.
    http://www.againstsilence.com/ by L2P
    99.8% uptime since May 2007 || 99.95% uptime in 2013|| Offering the best in free webhosting since 2000.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but if you already have a Facebook account you don't have to enter captcha or verify your email.
    FreeWebspace.net
    FWS opened up in 1996. We are celebrating 18+ years!

NLC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trel's post sounds like it has a lot of info though. I tried to mod him but "have to spread more"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidentally since I posted this, they appear to be coming more frequently. I'm up to 5 a day now, with more and more of them having japanese IPs.
    Chat with us, you don't have to be hosted by SeraphimLabs to get general tech help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think its bots signing up any more I think it live people. I was getting five of the same sign up put in some java to clear the form fields and some anti spam and the sign ups went way down. blocked some IP's also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What software are you guys using? I don't have any problems with WHMCS, but then I am not a free host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sander k View Post
    What software are you guys using? I don't have any problems with WHMCS, but then I am not a free host.
    I wrote my own software for this. Going to be giving it another security shakedown soon, since they seem to have found a way into it again.

But I also have my eye on some new coding techniques that I was perfecting over the weekend, so it's possible that I have another solution to this problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a php contact form. no where near as bad since I clear the form fields on page load. I think they were just hitting the back button and resubmitting.

b&
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That could be one. Not a secure site for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiejmiller View Post
    That could be one. Not a secure site for me.
    what do you mean the php contact form is not a secure site?