Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running your own servers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice

I run a website that gets about 7000 visitors a day and 50,000 page hits a day.

I can recommend to you 1and1 hosting services. I have a quad core server with 4 gb's of ddr2 ram and I rent it all for $79/month flat. I currently upgraded from a dual core 2 gb machine which costed me $59/month.

They use plesk panels and you can image the server to whatever control panel they offer, which I think is pretty neat (at a click of a button). Through my 1 year hosting with them, I can say its been a great experience so far. They have 24 hour technicians you can call directly if you ever have server issues, and in 1 year my server has been down for 2 hours (due to some faulty crossover they messed up on) but in a year, that's pretty good. The rest of the time my server's been online and kicking!

Customizing the server through Plesk's Control panel has been a joy, very easy to do. I am a web developer and I do set up many dedicated servers for all sorts of tasks at the company I work at, but managing my dedicated server's with 1and1 has been a breeze.

Hope some of my advice and experience helps you there. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look at managed servers too. If you are just starting out and want to learn while still offering hosting solutions to your clients it might be the way you want to go. It will cost more, but your clients wont be effected if you dont understand everything about your server or services that you have install on your machine. Plus it will give you room to grow while learning the ins and outs of your server.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerIntellect View Post
    If you are just starting out and want to learn while still offering hosting solutions to your clients it might be the way you want to go. It will cost more, but your clients wont be effected if you dont understand everything about your server or services that you have install on your machine.
    Sorry, but if you don't know how to run a server, you shouldn't be running a hosting business. You have absolutely no business being in this industry if you need a managed server.
    WSWD Inc., Celebrating our 18th year in business
    WSWD.net - Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Server Hosting
    Blazing Fast SSD VPS That Will Blow Your Mind!! High Performance RAID10 SSD Drives, IPv4, IPv6, and Private IPs
    InstaFree.com - Fast, Reliable Hosting...For FREE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, absolutely you should go for a managed hosting solution to offer uninterrupted services to your clients.
    Small Business Website Hosting - 100% Uptime SLA!
    Cloud Computing Services - Auto-Scalable Pay Per Use Cloud Platform
    eUKhost.com ::: sales@eukhost.com ::: 24x7 Live Chat Support!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or you can hire some people to manage your server(s)
    ECVPS - High Quality service, Free port monitor , Fully Managed Service
    Website : http://www.ecvps.com || VPS Hosting, 24/7 Ticket Support & Live Chat
    Call Us : +852 3485 0037

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is most important when you choose your host for managed dedicated servers. They should be able to provide you quality support and and when you needed.
    Windows Lifetime Hosting | Linux Lifetime Hosting

ISPA Award Winner:2013-Best SME | 2014-Best Dedicated Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really see any benefits in running your own server from home.. best thing to do is buy one and get it colocated..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hostaddonltd View Post
    Have you ever considered running your own server on your own home PC? What would that require? Will the cost for running one's own server be less or more than the cost of paid hosting?
    Yes you can use wamp to set it up but what about bandwidth your better off buying a box and co-locating if you must have your own server.

severs run quite hot so you would also need a good cooling room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get decent bandwidth, you'd have to get a T1, or at least have FIOS at a minimum to attempt hosting at your home. If your hosting other peoples websites I would discourage it. Its just not a secure environment, too man liabilities, performance issues, and risks.

Colocation might be a bit of a leap, just starting out. Quite honestly, I'd start off with a good vps, or reseller account somewhere and grow your business, while capitalizing on the resources of a good datacenter/hosting provider. Maybe start out with a managed vps as some have said, or even a managed server (if you can afford it). I'd make sure its managed, so you don't have to worry about the technical things, and can focus on growing your business.