August 27th, 2002, 13:23
RedHat Linux Questions
I installed RedHat Linux this morning and I am having some trouble.
1. Is there a way so linux can recognise my laptop's mouse? or do I have to buy an ps/2 or usb one?
2. I have problems with setting up XFree86. when I run the XF86Setup program, and select the video card I need to choose (Ati Mach64) it tells me that XFree86_Mach64 is not installed and that I should install this server. (I choosed svga when I installed linux, I didnt know at that time I'd need Mach64) How do I install it now?
3. I mounted 2 of my fat32 partitions in /hda1 and /hda2. they refer to /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2. but I cannot access them. Also, I cant acess the cdrom nor the floppy drive. why?
August 28th, 2002, 21:11
Well, linux on laptops seems to be iffy, not that it can't be done, however as you know, Linux isn't like Windows (knock it all you want, it still remains to be one of the better OS for general use, able to be installed on most systems). There is a linux laptop site somewhere, have you seen it?
August 28th, 2002, 21:45
Thanks Chicken for the reply.
I already had fixed those 3 problems.
1. I selected another port (the good one )
2. I reinstalled linux (it always asks what server to install when you install)
3. I sucessfully mounted it. (I had some syntax errors when I 1st tried)
Now my only problem is how to figure ou what are my Horizontal and vertical refresh rates for my screen... no xFree86 without this...