• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Difference?

pan_zik

I think both php and asp are programming languages, but what is the difference between these two?
Regards!

they are both similar languages with similar syntax. they are both server side languages. ASP is meant to run on windows servers, and PHP is made to run on Linux servers. i would not say that either is really better than the other, just what you prefer to use, and obviously what server type you are running.

they are both similar languages with similar syntax. they are both server side languages. ASP is meant to run on windows servers, and PHP is made to run on Linux servers. i would not say that either is really better than the other, just what you prefer to use, and obviously what server type you are running.
clear explanation!

Totally agreed.

PHP can run on IIS, but ASP on Linux can run ?

You can run both on each OS, but you're going to come into a lot of compatibility issues if you use PHP on Windows or ASP on Linux (from my experience, and a bit of assumptions). So you'll need to know how to adapt and work around problems. You're very unlikely to find a linux server already set up to run ASP, and likewise with windows/php.

But any windows hosting has PHP, it's a MUST! Even I had PHP on my local server and was easy to install and configure. What problems you think windows may have with PHP ?

Sorry, let me go back on that a bit. The time I worked with PHP on Windows Server, I had to use MSSQL databases - and there was very little documentation about on how to do that.

I'm not sure why I said there's problems. Thinking about it, there's not - I have WAMPP set up on my desktop and laptop and it works perfectly.

I am not sure about ASP but if you're a programmer, you probably know C/C++... and PHP has a very very similar structure to C/C++... if you know C/C++, go for PHP...

PHP ASP / ASP.NET
open source Not open source (only express edition)
Speed (faster) Speed(fast)
multiplatform Specialized for Windows Platf.
Syntax similar to C Syntax similar to visual/c/c#
MySql SQL Server

PHP- PHP is a server-side scripting language that has its main implementation in web development. However, it can be used as a general-purpose programming language. PHP is an open source, server-side, HTML embedded scripting language. PHP includes a command-line interface capability and can be used in standalone graphical applications.

ASP- ASP stands for Active Server Pages. It is commonly known as Classic ASP or ASP Classic. It is a server-side scripting environment that is developed and released by Microsoft.ASP is mainly used to create and run dynamic, interactive Web server applications.

WEB HOSTING

If you don't know any of these languages then PHP may be the easier one to learn, as the php manual is so well written, with lots of comments from users. With ASP or ASP.NET you are stuck with using IIS for your server, but with PHP you can use IIS or Apache.

PHP is probably going to be faster to develop, as you can more easily code a little and test, than you can with ASP.NET, but ASP and PHP are similar in how you can develop.

Back