• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to measure reliablity in hosting

The best way to see if a company is reliable or not is to look at three factors:

1) How long have they been around?
2) What is the server uptime they are reporting?
3) Do they have good customer reviews? Bad ones?

A company that has been around for two years with good uptime and good reviews will most likely be a lot more reliable than a company that has been around for two months.

Hello,

The best way to measure the reliability is, by checking the service Uptime and the customer views and problems related to the service. You can verify this through Customer feedback and testimonials.

The lesser the complaints and issues with the hosting service the better the reliability.

Since how long they are providing Services?
What is the server uptime they are asserting?
How is there technical Support?

The best way to see if a company is reliable or not is to look at three factors:

1) How long have they been around?
2) What is the server uptime they are reporting?
3) Do they have good customer reviews? Bad ones?

A company that has been around for two years with good uptime and good reviews will most likely be a lot more reliable than a company that has been around for two months.

I agree. Also you check their technical support.

Usually you can go by the following:

1. Age of company. Companies under 7 months old have not proven their stability, a majority of startups falter within 7 months for a variety of reasons.
2. Reputation. Be sure to look around yourself for reviews and consider the source. Many companies plant shills and fake reviews to make themselves look better. If it sounds too good to be true, it can be just as bad as a company that scores poorly.
3. Service. Just because you're on a free plan is no excuse to not be given prompt accurate techsupport, and overall service quality between free and paid should be approximately equal.
4. Statistics. It doesn't take much to configure a remote monitoring system that will measure 24/7 how reliable a company's services are. I use such a system internally to monitor performance and provide graphs of reliability in order to more effectively plan load balancing and upgrade paths.

I don't agree on the reviews part. Happy costumers don't usely post reviews unless the host requests it. I prefer forum posts over these review sites.

I think you can't get full information about the company, before you start to use. You can get only few customers individual opinion about them.
I would recommend to speak with support. Check do they really works always, are they helpfull. What they will do, if there will be some issues.

If it is free hosting I'd immediately check out the Forum, whether recent posts have been made, whether the Forum is in good shape and support requests attended to. That is of course not indication enough however. If one would want to go a step further, one could easily PM someone whose posts have the appearance of honest, and find out what their experiences have been.

Reliability can be checked considering few things related to company. Whether the company provides managed hosting, 24/7 customer support through Chat, Phone and Emails, money back guarantee.

Reliability can be checked considering few things related to company. Whether the company provides managed hosting, 24/7 customer support through Chat, Phone and Emails, money back guarantee.

Given this is in the free hosting section I doubt you are going to get all those, especially not money back ;)

Reliability in free hosting is notoriously hit and miss. The only real way to know is sign up, let it lie and keep checking it's overall performance, throw up a blog or something and simply see how it goes over a period of time, once you are comfortable use it in production.

The key is always backups, make sure you them so that if the host or your data disappear you can move on Swiftly. Even if you have a current free host you are happy with it is always a good idea to have a backup just in case and trying out new hosts every now and then can help you have that backup ready and tested.

I would definitely look into the structure of the company and its management.
  • Who's running it?
  • Are they selling paid hosting as well?
  • Where is their datacenter?
  • Do they own hardware or just running off a VPS (or worse, a reseller)?
  • How many employees do they have?
  • Where are their headquarters?

Hope that list helps. :)

I think the free hostings that are either sponsored by some other big company or offers paid hosting as well are more reliable then some simple free hosting company, so reliability can be judged by watching these 2 points in any host

The most important thing is to check how long the host has been in business. Most website hosts which are not doing any profit will go down within the first year. If a host has been online for several years, it will most likely do so for the next few years more.

Another important factor is their pricing and services they offer. If the prices seem to be unbelievably low, it's not likely to be true, and in this case not a reliable host. Free web hosts can never offer free domains names (except names that are free for everyone) such as .com and .net.

Back