• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How fast is your internet?

How fast is your connection? (Downstream)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 384-768kbps

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • 1.5mbps-6mbps

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Freakin' Fast (Anything above 6mbps)

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters

Conscript

NLC
NLC
Well I've been doing some thinking as of late cause my internet has been disconnecting me often and giving me general problems (DSL). I decided to subscribe to cable internet in my area instead which I will get setup next week.

My current speeds are 768kbps downstream and 384kbps upstream though in reality I get around 600kbps / 200kbps on benchmarks when no one in the house is using the internet.

On rainy days for some reason I get disconnected often, and I have random days where I get disconnected every 10-15 minutes and other days it works okay. It basically is too frustrating to keep, shame too since I've been a subscriber for 5 years now and the last year and a half or so these problems started appearing.

Anyways, I am excited about cable because the package I am getting is 16 mbps downstream and 768kbps upstream.

That's like 2MB per second downloads! I should be able to download a 600MB movie in 5 minutes. Now that's speed (compared to my usual download speeds now of about 70KB/sec if I am lucky).

This also got me thinking of what else is out there. I know in California they have 1gbps (GIGABIT) symmetrical fiber optic lines. That's quite insane. I think the service is called Paxio, www.paxio.com

So now I would like to ask what kind of broadband is available in your area? How do you use your bandwidth and are you happy with the speeds you get? And what are you paying?

I will be paying $29 for the first 6 months followed by $67.95 per month after that. Hefty price tag, but I am hoping the 16mbps speed will be worth it.

We have Comcast for Cable, and Bellso ... The New AT&T ™ and Earthlink for DSL.

Comcast is 6mbps ... I think
Bellsouth has a range, but goes up to 6mbps down /512kbps up
Earthlink DSL is around 8mbps down.

My mom uses Bellsouth, and my dad uses Comcast. They're both great, I mean I don't download movies or music a whole bunch (it's just accumulated over time) so I don't really notice the speed difference. I'm sure if I was more of a movie buff, for instance, the speed difference would be more obvious.

The only thing I've noticed is that with Comcast I have slightly lower pings on Counter-Strike ...

Charter Cable is in the area, but doesn't serve Atlanta itself ... only the 'burbs. And I'm unsure on any of the prices, considering I still live at home and don't plan to move out for another year, so I haven't exactly researched them. And when I do move out, that'll be into a dorm ...

Tree will more than likely give a better take on the ATL-ISP scene than myself, if he chooses to reply.

Last edited:
Cox cable here...supposed to get up to 7mb downstream, or maybe its 10? honestly, not too sure, I will have to check next bill.

Point is, its decently fast and I can't convince my roommates for anything faster ;)

8mbps/768kbps, with powerboost i do about 22mbps down and about 1mb up. They are rolling out 16/2 in this area. I pay $24.95/mo. (it was a promotion that they extended to me for another year).

Remember, cable is shared...

I have 3mbps/512kbps, fastest AT&T offers here. FiOS not here :(
(In Japan, you can get 100mbps fiber for $49.95 a month)

I have comcast now as well my package is 8MB down for now hehehehehe..of course cable is shared..but mine is still very reliable..even better than the DSL that i had for a while that was 7MB down..

Remember, cable is shared...

So is DSL. This "cable is shared" argument is 1990. Both technologies are shared technologies. With the advancement of Doc 2.0 and Doc 3.0, more and more cable customers are all seeing the same advertised speeds. Yes, some nodes can be oversold causing fluctuations in speeds for those customers, but DSL has it's own enemy: distance.

None of those poll choices: DSL, 128Kbps about (Up to 50 Kbps Down) (Dial-Up has about 1~10 Kbps Down)
So is DSL. This "cable is shared" argument is 1990. Both technologies are shared technologies. With the advancement of Doc 2.0 and Doc 3.0, more and more cable customers are all seeing the same advertised speeds. Yes, some nodes can be oversold causing fluctuations in speeds for those customers, but DSL has it's own enemy: distance.

Plus, since Adobe updated to Flash Player 9, people on Gaia who have DSL are furious about timeouts in Flash. Also remember that when you transfer files over something like MSN Messenger or AIM or ICQ, the SLOWER speed always takes priority. So if you have cable, and YOU send a file to a dial-up user, you'll be forced to use their speed of download/upload.

Last edited:
Cox cable here...supposed to get up to 7mb downstream, or maybe its 10? honestly, not too sure, I will have to check next bill.

Point is, its decently fast and I can't convince my roommates for anything faster ;)

supposed to be download speeds of up to 12 now

Well the provider I am going to be getting installed next week is Comcast here in Chicago.

For those with Comcast, how much bandwidth do you use every month? I heard some nasty rumours that they terminate accounts if you download/upload more than 100GB or 200GB a month. To me it seems that with BitTorrent, YouTube, Amazon's Unbox (which I am thinking of getting) and Video Streams from some TV Channel's websites that could add up pretty quickly.

Has anyone here been questioned by the ISP or hassled because of too much bandwidth use?

Last edited:
I use quite a bit of band per month..i would venture to say around 60 - 80 gb..between backups restoring clients manually and downloading from itunes..but i havent had any issues with them as of yet either..

Well the provider I am going to be getting installed next week is Comcast here in Chicago.

For those with Comcast, how much bandwidth do you use every month? I heard some nasty rumours that they terminate accounts if you download/upload more than 100GB or 200GB a month. To me it seems that with BitTorrent, YouTube, Amazon's Unbox (which I am thinking of getting) and Video Streams from some TV Channel's websites that could add up pretty quickly.

Has anyone here been questioned by the ISP or hassled because of too much bandwidth use?

The unspoken rumor is about 300GB in a month will give you your first warning.

I also use Amazon's Unbox w/ my tivo. Great service.

I, personally, don't use much bandwidth at all. Here are my bandwidth usage for the past few months for my entire network:

Attachments

• bw.gif
    bw.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back