• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

1&1 slow or is it me?

francisuk22

Hi all
Is me or is 1&1 slow at there speeds because im experiencing a slow load up from there range of IPs - Wonted to know because im looking into getting a dedicated server with them for a little gaming server but if thats how is going to be then :bandit2:

Any other hosting site like rapidswitch, net2 zooms and it cant be my internet because im with 100 Mbits cable broadband. :rolleyes2

ping uk to uk

C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping sweethost
Pinging sweethost.co.uk [87.XXX.XXX.12] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 87.XXX.XX.12: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
Reply from 87.XXX.XXX.12: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=53
Reply from 87.XXX.XXX.12: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 87.XXX.XXX.12: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 87.XXX.XXX.12:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 25ms

Rapidswitch
C:\Documents and Settings\User>ping rapidswitch UK

Pinging rapidswitch.com [78.XX.XXX.83] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 78.XXX.XXX.83: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=119
Reply from 78.XXX.XXX.83: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=119
Reply from 78.XXX.XXX.83: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=119
Reply from 78.XXX.XXX.83: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=119

Ping statistics for 78.XXX.XXX.83:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms

The ping times are excellent. It's probably just the server that is overloaded. A dedicated server will not have that problem...well, unless you're creating the load on the server. :D

If your website is sweethost.co.uk, it loads blazing fast over here in the US, though it's just the default Parallels page.

The ping times are excellent. It's probably just the server that is overloaded. A dedicated server will not have that problem...well, unless you're creating the load on the server. :D

Its slow over here and that IP is based in the UK. :( but rapidswitch . co. uk and so is racksrv .co. uk is blazing fast over here

If your website is sweethost, it loads blazing fast over here in the US, though it's just the default Parallels page.

No no lol! thats not me, I just scanned a range of ips to see what there speed was before i bought one of there services. :) nothing eles.:wink2:

There is a good tool for checking the latency from different locations world-wide at just-ping.com. The test results there show that the domain you mentioned is pinging good from pretty well everywhere now.

A dedicated server should be alright as long as you aren't expecting too much from it.

But from talking to other 1&1 users, their shared hosting is notoriously overloaded due to their unlimited plans. I'd expect those servers to be sluggish.

Also, do not buy your domain through 1&1. I've found a lot of situations where someone tried to transfer out the domain they bought through 1&1, and 1&1 instead redirected it to a parking server refusing to let it transfer out. Better to buy your own separately from someone else.

Those ping times are better than mine actually, but I put most of the blame on the Verizon 4G device I use. It never manages to get any better than 90ms, and most of the time it is in the 200ms range.

There is a good tool for checking the latency from different locations world-wide at just-ping.com. The test results there show that the domain you mentioned is pinging good from pretty well everywhere now.

What an great website, wow thanks :D . Im from the united kingdom myself but it says Germany has the lowest ping :O shouldn't it be UK as is a UK IP ???

A dedicated server should be alright as long as you aren't expecting too much from it.
I was hoping to do a gaming server on it

do not buy your domain through 1&1. I've found a lot of situations where someone tried to transfer out the domain they bought through 1&1, and 1&1 instead redirected it to a parking server refusing to let it transfer out. Better to buy your own separately from someone else.

Yeah my friend has had bad experiences changed the DNS settings to point to hes website :O

Those ping times are better than mine actually, but I put most of the blame on the Verizon 4G device I use. It never manages to get any better than 90ms, and most of the time it is in the 200ms range.

WOW 4G we just touched 4G in London (UK) but its a trial in the centre of london

What an great website, wow thanks :D . Im from the united kingdom myself but it says Germany has the lowest ping :O shouldn't it be UK as is a UK IP ???

Generally speaking, yes. A UK server is going to have a lower ping time to the UK than a server in Germany will.

Who knows why the German server might have the lower ping. That isn't common at all. However, maybe just go with them then if the pings are lower to the UK? Rapidswitch (10ms) is pretty darn fast.

Back