• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

2 Free Hosting Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_man

Hey everyone.

I just bought a new domain name for $50 CAD. And i've been searching for a compitent free host for 3 months now. I would go pay, but I can't afford it monthly, and I dont have a credit card anymore. So im stuck with this free host BS for a little while. So far i've signed up with 3 hosts since I bought my domain name, but I have yet to get actual hosting.

So far, with the highest potential was http://www.U69.us. Basically you have to sign-up at their forum, and make 10 Actual posts before you can even apply for webhosting. Before they even give you the hosting they actually have their admins look at every post you have made and determine whether or not they are "good enough" to get hosting. It's something like 2000 posts before you get full hosting privledges. That's just ridiculous in my opinion. If it was to help them make the money to run their servers then I would be happy, but it's really not, so im very frustrated with it. Their Specs are excellent, but their actual service and support is awful. I applied for their hosting after making 12 real posts, and I havn't heard from them in 50 hours so far. On top of that, there is no FAQs anywhere about what their DNS servers are, so when they do accept you, you have to wait for them to email you the DNS server info, which could take up to 48 hours AGAIN to get through. So basically it could take up to 5 days before you even get the basic hosting set up. And in my opinion that is just a nasty combination. They are not a mature serious webhost at all. Rather a bunch of 12 to 21 year old kids who want to pretend they have real power. I got fed up and now im just going to forget about them.

Anywho, on a brighter note, I just signed up with Breezeland.com.

Im still waiting for the email (been 2 hours) and their signup process was horrible because it kept failing and they had no cookies, so I had to keep re-entering my info 5 times over. I read that you only have to click on a banner 6 times a week or so to get their maximum free hosting offer. In my opinion that is LITTLE to ask for such great specs. Who cares if they dont send you a comfirmation for clicking on the banner, just click on it and COUNT. If you loose count, start over again, who cares, dont be jealous just because you're not making the money :)

Everyone says they are getting a bad reputation, but I don't think that's true. Advertising companies do NOT care how people click on their banners! And I doubt everyone using Breezeland is a kid. Just because you know like 4 people that happen to be 13-17 and are using breezeland doesn't mean the 100s of others are. Im sure when the companies are getting 1000s of clicks a week, they won't be complaining about anything. And I don't blame breezeland. What are they supposed to do? They are a free host, they need to pay for the servers somehow! And people (I included) do not want ads all over their .com's that they have worked so many hours on.

Now, if breezeland wants to really be serious, they would have forced banners ads that can be movable! That in my opinion is the best solution. And maybe even give the webmaster 10% per click, that would motivate the webmaster to get the banner out there! Spaceports did it, and I bet it worked well before all the pop-ups and branding with CJB happened.

Anyways, if you read all of that, im just saying, now a days it's hard to come across a decent free webhost that offers adless domain hosting. If creators of free webhosts could just use common sense, it would be easier for the little guy on the internet to make money off websites! Please someone use their brains for once!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ryan_man
Anyways, if you read all of that, im just saying, now a days it's hard to come across a decent free webhost that offers adless domain hosting. If creators of free webhosts could just use common sense, it would be easier for the little guy on the internet to make money off websites! Please someone use their brains for once!

Thank you!
ExCUSE ME. Since when was the purpose of free webhosting to profit the webmaster? If you want profit, buy your own server and sell stuff. If you consider yourself a 'little guy' then start up with a brick 'n' mortar, or at least curbside, business, make some money off of that, then start up on the internet. Free hosting was meant to profit the hoster (by advertisments or brand recognition) not the hostee. That's an incentive that hosters put up...before their next one, the fact that you have 12 hours to get your stuff off their server before they close :rolleyes:

Re: Re: 2 Free Hosting Reviews

Originally posted by notnamed
ExCUSE ME. Since when was the purpose of free webhosting to profit the webmaster? If you want profit, buy your own server and sell stuff. If you consider yourself a 'little guy' then start up with a brick 'n' mortar, or at least curbside, business, make some money off of that, then start up on the internet. Free hosting was meant to profit the hoster (by advertisments or brand recognition) not the hostee. That's an incentive that hosters put up...before their next one, the fact that you have 12 hours to get your stuff off their server before they close :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to say the creators profit. I was trying to say, if they want to pay for their server, and still make their customers happy, the best idea is movable banners!

That, indeed, I agree with. Best policy is not forcing banners on the sites but requiring that they be placed above-the-fold.

True, user placeable banners are a more flexible option for the user. The drawback to this is, it's harder for the webhost to know for sure that all members are placing the ads, and also that all ads actually are above the fold. Web hosts must either get a special system set up to monitor this, or they must go from site to site, monitoring it themselves.

Understandible, but going from site to site looking for the banners should be a lot easier then making sure a user has posted 10 valuable posts (u69 POS). :) Or maybe there's some script out there that will not allow people to view the page if it doesn't have a certain code in it... there must be one of them out there...

How is it easier to check through each user's site, which might have hundreds or thousands of pages on checking for a banner on a regular basis, than it is to read each new post he/she makes in a forum just once?

Yes, there are ways for the server to check for the code automatically, but that uses up processor time, delays the page display and it's difficult to check if the banner itself is really visible and "above the fold".

Users have been known to try and cheat the system, which is one of the reasons some hosts now restrict the number of users who qualify for hosting in the first place.

Every system has advantages and drawbacks, so it is not possible for any host to please everybody all of the time - especially if they wish to survive.

I don't see how u69 isn't mature and a serious host. In my opinion, they want their forum to be more active.

Of course, they know how hard it is to manage a server. They know the limitations to running a free host. If they don't do this, they may close down soon due to abuse.

Originally posted by trenzterra
I don't see how u69 isn't mature and a serious host. In my opinion, they want their forum to be more active.

Of course, they know how hard it is to manage a server. They know the limitations to running a free host. If they don't do this, they may close down soon due to abuse.

agree, they are serious

you might visit www.fooplykids.com , you 'll find a real kids group, from 12 to 15 ages, as i didn't know it before and signup a forum, as i were about to move my database in, I found everything gone without any notice. So I visited they forum and found all staff are kids, therefore i could say nothing but exit~

Ok, sure. Whatever you guys want to think. All I know is that in my opinion it is flat out wrong to force someone to become part of a community. It's like selling a $90,000 for $20,000 is a neighborhood they don't want to be in. Sure it's awesome value, but if you're forced to talk to people you don't like then maybe in the long wrong it's not worth it. :p

Originally posted by Ryan_man
Ok, sure. Whatever you guys want to think. All I know is that in my opinion it is flat out wrong to force someone to become part of a community.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and any free host is entitled to run their service any way they wish as long as it's legal.

Some people want to be part of a community, some people would rather the membership were more exclusive, that accounts were limited to those more dedicated to giving something back for the services they use.

If you're not one of those people, you are free to look elsewhere.

Forced posting hosts really aren't recommended. First off, you'll need to post to get your account...if, indeed, they don't delete your posts. Then, you'll have to continue to post to maintain it. Why not just use a free host that doesn't require all that?

I didn't read all the posts in this thread...but I think THIS IS A GREAT IDEA...to have a seperate free host review forum to itself.

If this site doesn't do it, maybe I'll set one up called freewebhostreview.com where users can rant and rave. :cool:

PS - 50cad? You got ripped...

Last edited:
Yeah you did get ripped.

You should have bought your domain from someone who will offer you hosting too (like www.1t3.com)

I tried getting hosting from u69 (or amzweb as they were called) but the kid mods kept deleting my posts so I just said screw it and paid for hosting.

Originally posted by zoobie
Forced posting hosts really aren't recommended. First off, you'll need to post to get your account...if, indeed, they don't delete your posts. Then, you'll have to continue to post to maintain it. Why not just use a free host that doesn't require all that?
The idea might not be appealing to everyone, but it does have its advantages - and not just to the host.

First of all, it discourages abusers, as most won't bother to contribute anything to the community or take time out to create posts. They much prefer instant activation where they can create multiple acciounts with different details.

There are also a lot of people who sign up with every free host they can find, before they have even created any content.

Restricting applications helps to make the service faster and more reliable for the end users.

Secondly, it builds up a sense of community between users, who can/will help each other out.

Thirdly, over time there will be ample documentation for new users, written by users.

Think about it at least. You yourself have made almost 1200 posts here without getting hosting in return, so I doubt you dislike the idea of forums.

Btw, in case you or anyone else is wondering, many of those types of forum communities have extra forums that are only visible to memebers who have logged in, so there may be more topics available that it seems.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread...but I think THIS IS A GREAT IDEA...to have a seperate free host review forum to itself.
That might discourage people from posting reviews in the main site listings, which is where many people look first.

Also, they'd drop off the bottom of the list fairly rapidly and it would be difficult to browse through the threads unless they were divided into multiple categories.

A completely separate set of forums on another site might work if it had enough categories, but tying the reviews into the site listings works best here in my opinion (though others may not share my view).

Originally posted by striker

I tried getting hosting from u69 (or amzweb as they were called) but the kid mods kept deleting my posts so I just said screw it and paid for hosting.

Yep...I just didn't want to mention them because the same thing happens to just about everybody who tries them.

They'd be the first review in my free webhost review forum...:rolleyes:

zoobie: Yes, some of the mods there do seem to have a short fuse and can over-react. They aren't all that way, but it does put people off.

Whether it was a conscious decision by the owner to discourage the less persistent users by making posting harder, I couldn't say.

I would advise you to write your first review on a host you'd recommend though. You wouldn't want to seem to be out to find fault, would you? People would be more interested in finding good hosts, after all (avoiding the bad is secondary to that).

We're drifting off-topic here though. Perhaps you could start a new thread and ask opinions?

I spent $50 CAD (29.99 USD) on the domain because Register.com is probably the only company for domains that I would intrust a Credit Card number to. I checked a few other sites that included hosting, but I didn't trust them enough. So I felt it better to spend more money, and have less of a chance of getting the number stolen. Plus it's only $50 :)

You sound very scared to use your credit card on the internet. You probably have no idea what encryption is or how it works. Godaddy has been the #1 registrar for 2 years straight...dwarfing all others. You could have bought 4 domains for the price you paid. :rolleyes:

Please fill out my form: :devious2:

Your credit card # ________________
Expiration date ________________

Folks? Are you scared to trust companies with your credit cards on the net? Well, the 'tard next door suggests that you should just use a free debit card with just enuf money in the account to cover your transaction. :eek:

And friends...Try our new snake oil...guaranteed to give you renewed vim and vigor of a 14 year old...Made from special snakes in the Amazon river valley. :classic2:

Last edited:
Allright, so I didn't "shop around". It doesn't bother me much, so it shouldn't bother you much. It just means that i'll buy less smokes this month. What do you want me to get cancer quicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back