• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Another USA School Shooting

anhedonia said:
Toefur, I agree with you. Parents aren't always responsible for everything. Obviously the blame lies with them some of the time, but just as often, it does not.
Parents/grandparents/adults in general who leave guns around the house where kids live/visit are to blame. If you must own a gun, lock the darned thing away!!!!!!! :devious2:

Jan said:
Parents/grandparents/adults in general who leave guns around the house where kids live/visit are to blame. If you must own a gun, lock the darned thing away!!!!!!! :devious2:

I have loaded guns on the walls. My kids dont touch them. They used to want to though, so I trained them on them and how to be safe with them. Then later I had to take a mean dog to the woods and put it down. I asked if they wanted to go and they were jumping with joy.

They werent so happy when they saw the real thing. They were sick at their stomach and felt terrible for the animal. They realized then the difference between tv and real life. They havent bothered me about the guns since then, and that was several years ago.

If you are gonna have guns, make sure your kids respect them and not think of them as "grownup toys". That is exactly what I did. If you cant handle or dont want such a responsibility, you shouldnt have a gun. I'll bet that in all the school shootings, thats the firt time they have fired a gun other than maybe at some bottles (if that), and definitly the first time they ever killed anything. Because they arent raised properly with guns, then in the heat of a moment they grab a gun and go shooting at school. I have already nipped that in the bud with my kids. This might sound strange, but there's a difference between knowing what a gun can do, and KNOWING what a gun can do.

It's like drunk driving. Sometimes no matter what you show or teach a kid, they still end up driving drunk. They dont truly "get" it until they actually kill someone. Same with guns. In a safe environment, I let my kids see the real thing. It made a world of difference. They became totally different kids after seeing that.

It would never happen, but if classes of kids could be taken out and shown the exact same thing my kids saw, it would stop a lot of these problems with school shootings before they happen. Animal rights activists would be all over it, as would lawyers and lawmakers, and even the shrinks would have their useless say in all of it.

Webdude, that works for well-adjusted kids when they're young, but for the ones ----ed up in the head, especially older ones, that'd just spur them on. Oooh, cool, look what it does, it's even better than TV.

bozley05 said:
Kids these days are just way too selfish, always thinking about themselves.. i would have though 9/11, Bali, the Tsunami and so on, would of atleast had one positive outcome, opening up the the eyes of people who only think of themselves, let them realise the world is much bigger than one individual.

Like when you see people getting depressed over losing a girlfriend or boyfriend, or getting a bad mark at school that really shits me. In the whole grand scheme of things, it means nothing. Bring back the cane in schools, and the right for parents to smack kids I say, kids need to learn respect again. And respecting elders too.
Yes! Someone out there agrees with me! I really couldn't add anything to this
/\ . Thank you!

notnamed said:
Webdude, that works for well-adjusted kids when they're young
and we're getting back at the parenting issue

see, webdude did his job well, and it payed out
every kid is young at some point or the other, so every parent has a chance

Well, it also matters if the kid is a dumbass or not...and that I didn't address. There are just some kids that are way too stubborn to accept rational rules.

Last edited:
I hate it when kids start blaming video games for their own problem, and then consequently the game manufacturer gets into trouble.

i.e. GTA series

Jan said:
The first time I ever saw a gun was on American TV, go figure ;)
Was that in America? Or on a TV made in America? Otherwise, it was an Assuie TV
wink.gif

bozley05 said:
Kids these days are just way too selfish, always thinking about themselves.. i would have though 9/11, Bali, the Tsunami and so on, would of atleast had one positive outcome, opening up the the eyes of people who only think of themselves, let them realise the world is much bigger than one individual.

Like when you see people getting depressed over losing a girlfriend or boyfriend, or getting a bad mark at school that really shits me. In the whole grand scheme of things, it means nothing. Bring back the cane in schools, and the right for parents to smack kids I say, kids need to learn respect again. And respecting elders too.

It's not that kids don't have respect, it's that they never had it in the first place. This kid who did the shooting, was a minority, had no father or mother, had grandparents that were most likely assholes, went to a bad school, and was constantly ridiculed at school. It makes you feel like shit. Some people just snap. A human can only take so much.

It still comes down to the fact that if guns weren't so freely available in the USA, then a lot of these tragedies wouldn't occur. And if those who felt they [i[must[/i] have a gun in the house, secured it so kids didn't have easy access to it. I wonder if the parents/grandparents feel proud that "my little Johnny" decked 20 people today :S

Jan said:
It still comes down to the fact that if guns weren't so freely available in the USA, then a lot of these tragedies wouldn't occur. And if those who felt they [i[must[/i] have a gun in the house, secured it so kids didn't have easy access to it. I wonder if the parents/grandparents feel proud that "my little Johnny" decked 20 people today :S

Jan, what about normal people who grew up in households with guns?
There are families (who had/have normal children ) where hunting and skeet shooting has been a tradition.

My cousin (in his 30s) has a gun collection. He loves guns and he is a very responsible citizen. Not every gun owner is a total wacko.

Would you restrict responsible gun ownership?

Jan said:
I don't understan why you keep saying the USA. This shooting is the first in a while. It's not like there are tons of school shootings. If you look at other countries, there are children carring automatic AK-47's in the streets. The U.S. is nothing compared to these other countries. You make it sound like it's the U.S. that allows children "free access" to guns and that nobody in the U.S. cares about the safety of children and that everyone is walking around with Guns. The 2nd Amendment allows U.S. Citizens to the right of bear arms, so they are entitled to have a gun in their home. It's not "freely available", but the whole purpose of a gun is for protection. If you, as aparent, hide your gun with a lock in a safe that requires an access code which is bolted to the floor in your closet under a blanket.. what purpose does it serve if someone breaks into your home? You won't have time to access the gun.
http://www.cato.org/ccs/2nd-amendment.html

Last edited:
Jan said:

If beer wasnt so freely available, there would be a lot less trajedies.
If cars werent so freely available...
If stairs werent so freely available...
If swimming polls werent so freely available..
If insect chemicals werent so freely available...
If [insert here] wasnt so freely available...

Get my drift? The comment "if guns werent so freely available" is a mute point. They are here just like everything else, and they arent going anywhere. Thus, what we have to do is keep them out of the hands of criminals and idiots. If the government tried to outlaw them it would amount to nothing less than a civil war..... which is why they havent attempted it. It's a simple fact that the general population of the U.S. has more guns than the U.S. military..

Another thing is statistics. Yes there are a lot of gun deaths in the U.S. compared to other countries, but if you compare point to point, it's not that much. Equalize the population of the United States to another country. Then equalize the number of both the populations the % that own guns. Now take those numbers and compare the death percentage by guns and you will find the U.S. has the lower average. For example. If you have a population of 1000, and 10 of those have guns, and one of those people kill another in cold blood, you just beat the U.S. national average. I used the small numbers for simplicity, but it explains the math.

Sniper rifles aren't handguns, they're sniper rifles. I'm sure it's just as hard to get one in the US as it is in India. You don't just walk into Walmart and buy a sniper rifle.

Here, in Canada you can't even buy airgun pellets at WalMart without having your ID checked and them okaying the sale.

Back