• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Australia idea of being poor

Darknight

Premium
Premium Member
NLC
Is India's idea of being rich.

I think the same applies in the US and CA, UK and so on.

I think he means that the "developed" countries need to realise what they have. India is mostly poor, yet we have good houses - but people complain about not having say a fancy bathroom, big bedroom etc.

I think he means that the "developed" countries need to realise what they have. India is mostly poor, yet we have good houses - but people complain about not having say a fancy bathroom, big bedroom etc.

I live on just under 800 USD a month from Social Security (SSI) Checks, in subsidized housing AND on energy assistance.

Energy assistance just bumped their maximum amount of income you can make as a single person in three months to 3000 instead of 2500 or so.

I wish websites would list "under $10,000" instead of "under $15,000." Seeing as I would fall under $10,000.

But don't take MY word for it, just look at what I have to pay off!

Monthlies
-- 35-45 USD /mo for Groceries On Average
-- Currently* 200 USD /mo on no-interest Credit Card Payments
-- Currently* 60 USD /mo for Cable Internet and Phone Service
-- 151 USD /mo for Rent (Subsidized. Goes Up if I have more Income)
-- 3-10 USD /mo for Co-Pay** Pool (Changes depending)
-- Normally** 40-50 USD /mo for Electricity

Yearlies
-- $8.80 (Goes Up Soon) Book Of Stamps Every Year Or So (Forever Stamps)

And the rest is spending money for stuff like eating out, sandwiches, new clothes, new accessories like umbrellas, ice cream, ice cream scoopers, toilet paper, shampoo, etc.

* CURRENTLY - Subject To Change In The Future. Cable Bill will increase about 20 USD after pormotion ends for one month while I switch to the lowest avail. Internet (1 MB/s) Speed for 19.99 USD /mo.

** Subsidized Payments - Co-Pay is due to the fact I live on SSI, SSDI, therefore qualify for Medical Assistance, which pays for "most of" Medicare. HealthSprings takes care of any medication payments. Medicare pays for other things. Electric Bill is not being paid currently because Energy Assistance pays for a period of 6 or so months directly to the electric company. If I lose SSDI/SSI Medical Assistance is removed, and therefore I would pay over 200-300 USD /mo for Medicare A/B (HealthSprings is D.)

I really don't care... welcome to living in a "developed" country where everything is just debt and money orientated.

I live on just under 800 USD a month from Social Security (SSI) Checks, in subsidized housing AND on energy assistance.

Energy assistance just bumped their maximum amount of income you can make as a single person in three months to 3000 instead of 2500 or so.

I wish websites would list "under $10,000" instead of "under $15,000." Seeing as I would fall under $10,000.

But don't take MY word for it, just look at what I have to pay off!

Monthlies

Yearlies
-- $8.80 (Goes Up Soon) Book Of Stamps Every Year Or So (Forever Stamps)

And the rest is spending money for stuff like eating out, sandwiches, new clothes, new accessories like umbrellas, ice cream, ice cream scoopers, toilet paper, shampoo, etc.

* CURRENTLY - Subject To Change In The Future. Cable Bill will increase about 20 USD after pormotion ends for one month while I switch to the lowest avail. Internet (1 MB/s) Speed for 19.99 USD /mo.

** Subsidized Payments - Co-Pay is due to the fact I live on SSI, SSDI, therefore qualify for Medical Assistance, which pays for "most of" Medicare. HealthSprings takes care of any medication payments. Medicare pays for other things. Electric Bill is not being paid currently because Energy Assistance pays for a period of 6 or so months directly to the electric company. If I lose SSDI/SSI Medical Assistance is removed, and therefore I would pay over 200-300 USD /mo for Medicare A/B (HealthSprings is D.)

Ok, so I will move a poor indian in to your nice little flat and put you in their tin shed..
You wont mind, since you think you dont have it good.
^ Uhmm, couldn't make any sense of it. At all.

What did you actually want to say?
Someone already gave you the answer so I dont think I need to.
:)

Last edited:
slums_2.sflb.ashx

You should also ask, why there is so many malnutrition children, but so many fat people?
Granted some can not help their weight, but 90% of fat people can.

I'm an Indian - currently in Uncle Sam's territory. I guess it's true, these people keep -----in' about everything. As they say, guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

In India, you can live like a king earning as low as 20,000 INR/mo = 400 USD/mo. With 400USD per month, you can barely manage rent+groceries+internet here :(

Monthlies

Just 45USD/mo on groceries? You sure?
I like to believe that I live frugally, but still hit the 50USD mark on groceries every month :p

you guys lol.
In aus we spend like 150/fortnight (If you wanna eat the right things)
Thats like 130USD or something...
But we get paid more in our "low income" jobs..
My "Low income" job is 21/hour, 17 if I was fulltime.
- 151 USD /mo for Rent
a Month???
Its like 400 AUD here for a crappy little box.

I would have to say that Australia is fairly balanced in the way they tax and so on...
The rich pay for more than the poor do & the "poor" get ok money.

When I worked in a higher income job I was paying soooo much tax...
on 62k/year you would pay something like 900tax each fortnight.
On 28k, I paid roughly 100

Last edited:
Just 45USD/mo on groceries? You sure?
I like to believe that I live frugally, but still hit the 50USD mark on groceries every month :p

We have this awesome store chain called Aldi ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi ), and I only like, buy the following things (generic means no-name / store brand):

Monthlies
-- 5~6 Hot Dogs (Packages of 8) (generic) -- 0.79 USD Each
-- x2 1 Lb of Bologna (generic) -- ~1.15 USD Each
-- 5~6 Hot Dog Buns (Packages of 8) (generic) -- ~1 USD Each
-- 4~6 Cereal Boxes (14 Oz.) (generic) -- 1.14 USD Each
-- 4~5 Cream Cheese Boxes (generic) -- 0.89 USD Each
-- 1~2 Small Pizzas (generic, pretty small) -- ~2.00 USD Each
-- ~4 Half-Gallon Swiss Valley? 2% Milk -- ~1.25 USD Each

Bi-Tri-Monthlies
-- Toilet Paper Rolls (Package of 12, 1-Ply, 1000 Sheets Per Roll, Scotts Brand) -- ~6 USD
-- Shampoo (generic, 1 bottle) -- ~2 USD
-- Toothpaste (Doesn't matter as long as it cleans well, may not always be from Aldi) -- ~2.50 USD

Quad-Hex-Monthly
-- Sugar (2 Lbs is A LOT for me, especially for just cereal.) (generic) -- ~2.50 USD

My grandma goes to food pantry, so she picks up canned tomato/pasta like spaghettio's.

I often find bread at the "Free Food" table of my apartment building down at the lobby. Only those who live here can take from it (not even workers), it comes once a day, and not on Wednesdays nor Sundays. So I can get bagels there a lot, and even a couple of vending machine sandwiches, etc.

Though most of the time I just pick up some baguettes.

a Month???
Its like 400 AUD here for a crappy little box.

Read whole post.

Last edited:
^ omg. You plan so much ?

Do you have some kind-of monthly planner mechanism to keep track of all this shiznit? :p

Nope, I've remembered most of it from the last few months that I've started living on my own, IE: Since february. The first grocery bill was over 45 dollars. The next was around 40-43 dollars, the past few ones have been around 30-35 dollars.

We have Aldi here in the UK too. I'd go there over Netto though, lol. I shop at ASDA or, "Walmart" now they're part of the same company. Getting stupidly expensive in there, still cheaper than Tesco.

We have Aldi here, too.

My dad and I live on around $25k a year, but neither of us feel 'poor' even though that's close to the GA poverty line for two people living together. We've got 5,000 tv channels, DSL, tons of food to eat (Thanks, Wal-Mart). My only complaint is my car's falling apart and I can't afford a new one. I have an interview next week for a job that pays $30-something-k, so that will hopefully change soon and I'll be able to get back out on my own again. He's about to graduate with a bachelor's in psychology, going to grad school in the spring for biological statistics, so his situation will change for a much, much better one soon.

Last edited:
Back