• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

avoiding domain transfer fee

wacky wacko

I want to know can I avoid domain transfer fee by registering my domain again on the day my domain expire with another registrar?

I suppose that would be fine. Your registrar may have some sort of grace period though, you may want to ask them what their policy is on orphaned domains...

Most registrars wont charge you for the transfer of your domain, but will make you start the year's period all over. Maybe you should transfer your domain to one of these guys with a week or so left on your account...

There isn't a fee to transfer your domain to another registrar. The only thing you'll pay, is for the new year (or more), at your new registrar. The transfer can take two weeks and that's if there aren't any problems. You don't lose any time (your current time is added to the time you are purchasing), so it is better to do it ASAP, rahter than wait until "the day it expires".

I'm planning to transfer my free domain from DomainZero.com to gkg.net which I found on this board. I don't know if they charge for domain transfer or not. The site says that domain transfer is free but it also say it cost $9.99 per domain( http://www.gkg.net/domain/transfers/ ).

[Edited by wacky wacko on 11-07-2000 at 06:56 PM]

Well, that fee isn't really a transfer charge, it will add another year to your current registration time (which is normally something you've paid for).

The first thing you are going to encounter is, that DomainZero imposes a 'register lock' on the domains that were registered through them. This is something that should make it interesting to transfer a domain to another registrar. By interesting, I mean theoretically impossible.

I'd like to know what the outcome of this one is, since that 'register lock' in theory, prevents you from doing exactly what you want to do. Whether it can be lifted or not is the concern.

This may end up costing you something. Keep me informated if you would.

I think DomainZero will want a pretty penny to transfer any of those domains before they get a chance to collect a renewal fee out of them.

Back