• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of Thorny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you contact cPanel and explain the situation..they'll probably give you a free day license. They did a week for me years ago when we had some issues with the server provider's license or something..they ended up extending it a week until the payment went in. I don't remember exactly why we did it..I think it was during a switch to a new provider that didn't offer it and we had to get it on our own but since it was a spur of the moment (since the provider we were with vanished) it was an emergency.

They may do it, never hurts to try.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that cpanel will kill itself (but not httpd / ftpd) if it does not have a license.... After it auto starts those processes.
Chris

Once it 'calls home' it will disable automatically yes. Site will still be up but cPanel will not be available.

well you could always block all outgoing requests from the server...then cpanel will never call home :p

Though I imagine it's based on a receive-to-activate, the script will still send the request through and if it doesn't receive a response in a certain time it will shut down...

Now I want to get a box to test that..

Can't, if it can't talk it won't work and auto disable :)

cPanel have a pretty good activation/licensing system, :wink2:

That's what I figured. So the only solution besides paying is to get them to give you a temporary license. cPanel's good people, they may help you out.

It's not the only way to backup the account though.

cPanel I have always had great support from and they most likely would issue/reissue a license for a couple of days. But the time and effort involved in them doing it would go outside Marks deadline to reformat the machine.

The thing I don't understand is I see Thorny getting online all the time. But he doesn't make any posts. He stopped ever since March 15th. He knows he lost his credibility, so why does he still check up on the forum from time to time?

[DWH]Yuxuan;976130 said:
The thing I don't understand is I see Thorny getting online all the time. But he doesn't make any posts. He stopped ever since March 15th. He knows he lost his credibility, so why does he still check up on the forum from time to time?

Thats unfortunately the sad truth.

If he wishes to advertise here again, I would advise him to get things fixed ASAP.

It is not up to UT to give you files, it was up to you to keep backups.
Its your loss, No ones fult but your own and Thorny...
your lucky the server has not been wiped yet.
You need to understand the fact that its UT's HDD and becuse of that its his and only his choice on what to do with it. - It costs money to bring a server backup....
Next time I hope you will learn to backup, as it is really foolish for anyone not to backup.

Hey, did someone get at least a response from Thorny? Because as [DWH]Yuxuan said, he's checking the forum each day, but I don't think he's replying to anyone so there must be more going on than it seems.

I got a rather abrupt PM from Tony about how he deserves to have his files, how I''m standing in his way, how my domain is unprofessional, how the uniquely designed site (he called it a template) was rather un-unique. So Tony, I tried to help you, I'm formatting the server. He tried to send me on a guilt trip over something that has nothing to do with me. Something along the lines of me hiding behind a computer and that I have to learn business ethics. Sorry you don't have the money.

He also called my $100/month Dual Xeons overpriced....

I don't really care, the personal insults are alright in this situation, but it's unfortunate that it was said because I was ready to give him the files.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
Very unfortunate, Tony should realise people tried to help, bar the one who let him down.
On his side, frustration is a hell of a thing to be left with as the only part of something that's left.

Think you just got the brunt of it Mark as your accessible and Thorny isn't.

Agreed, I don't think anyone really disagrees with you on this except for tony.

I don't really see what else you could have done besides take a big hit on money/resources (and you already have) which isn't really a reasonable option, considering he had every chance to be doing his own backups..it was his responsibility.

But, ---- happens.

Good move. After 3 pages of asking for his data without reading that you aren't the one responsible for his data and him sending you that PM, I would do the same. Have fun with it. :beer:

well IMO he was stupid for not getting a backup then blaming everyone else for his stupid mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back