• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Blast from the Past

It was a whole different ball game back then. There were only a few big players on the field that offered ad-free hosting at the time, like F2S and L33T.ca and they were all shoddy at best. The industry was dominated by hosts like AngelFire and GeoCities. Folks would give their left testicle for 25MB of ad-free web space.

really, wow so their were very few free webhost during that year and the previous ones. That was good start for any host to take up some competition xD if i'm correct. Good to know.

Yeah, there wasn't ---- to choose from back then. And hardware costs outrageous as well. If you had a dedicated server with 2GB of RAM and a single 40GB hard drive, you were the big man on campus.

I remember how many free hosts I had my site up on that just went under because the price they were paying for more or less what's going on in that thread were too astronomical to maintain

Try offering that plan now adays, you won't get any signups

People these days are greedy -----es who don't realize 25mb can hold a site, at least a starter or html.

Oh man, f2s and l33t.ca! Memories... I don't think I ever went with l33t.ca though.

Anybody still remember gcsnet? So great that I still remember the impossible to remember, seemingly random combination of letters of a name

I used f2s and T35 in my day.

I seem to remember T35 working out well just long enough for me to become fiercely loyal to it before I learned it was stupid to become fiercely loyal to a free web host.

T35's still around. Truly amazing.

Hated them for the file size limit back in the day though..

T35's still around. Truly amazing.

Hated them for the file size limit back in the day though..

The second I read this, the first thing I thought it "I should sign up, I'm sure I can use them for something"

Which is sad, it's been like 9 years since I used them, and I have a paid hosting account that goes well beyond my needs.

But then why did all those host providers close down? They could have upgraded their packages as per the needs rite?

But then why did all those host providers close down? They could have upgraded their packages as per the needs rite?

Why does any free host shut down? Usually because the people running them are stupid and they don't know how to manage a business correctly.

Yup. No one has nearly enough money to offer some of the things these people offered and not place ads or anything like that. They were all doomed to fail.

except for T35, apparently.

Back