• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

burst.net problems

jvv

I'm having a problem with my burst.net hosted site. It seems the server is completely misconfigured as none of my pages work anymore...

At first I thought it were only the php pages and notified the problem to the burst.net techies... they replied:

"We will be upgrading to php4 the comming weekend. That should solve the php problems."

While that is very nice, it still means my site will be down for another 4 days :p. It seems they haven't even bothered to see what exactly is wrong.

Anyone else had any problems with this ?

The website is http://www.vanvlimmeren.net

Errrr... doen't it sem that more than just php is messed up? I get an error page. You should be able to upload a sample index.html page and have something show up.

???

It could be that they have setup the account correctly. Also look at your account for a .htaccess file that has an invalid directive in it. In fact try renaming it to .htaccess-old and see if that fixes it. If not contact them and let them take a look.

Just a little update: 3 days and 4 mails to tech support after the first, my account was fixed again :)

Just a suggestion: when I use the sysadmin@burst.net email address I usually get a reply within 6-12 hours. Their AIM and ICQ support is fast as well. Just a suggestion though...

Just to let you know...
You had a .htaccess file that was incorrect in your public_html main www diretcory.
This happends once in awhile...we find clients (or their software program) making this mistake here and there.
We renamed it and the site is functioning fine again.
The server/site was not misconfigured.

Regards
Sean R.
BurstNET™
Online Rep

He also should have read my post on 10/31/2000 as thats exactly what I thought the problem was.. :)

I think as long as Sean sent him an email he is fine by posting that on the forum as well. It didn't contain any private information and was general information so I don't see a problem with that. It's good to hear the situation was resolved.

Just a clarification on the issue:

1. We did respond via email as well.

2. The client posted a support question in a forum that we happen to come across. We also like to keep support issues out of the public forums. The post is worded to look like a mistake they have made on their site is our fault. That post made it a public issue, not a private issue. There is nothing wrong with us posting a response to tell the public that it has been corrected, or that it was not our mistake, nor a misconfiguration in the first place.

3. The reason that it took so long for a response directly to the client, is becuase their original support inquiry to us made it look like they knew it was a PHP problem, and so we answer the inquiry regarding PHP on the server they are on. This response was made in a timely fashion. After they found that no file would work on their site, and it was not a PHP issue, they contacted us again. We then went and looked at the issue further, and found the .htaccess file.
This was a development error, and not a server error on our part.

Warm Regards,
Sean R.
BurstNET™
Online Rep

youll notice there is a problem with php on his or her site as when u click php3 links they cannot be displayed.

Back