• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ConnectHost hacked!

Thats what happens when you host with a provider that allows free hosts
and the free host use animated systems to create accounts, So they have very limited control over who has accounts on the server.

If I wanted a reseller for a paid host I would check the providers TOS to make sure they are exlucing free accounts from being on the server all together IMO.

Free + paid dont mix.

Im not trying to attack anyone, Just saying if you wanna sell resellers to free hosts its best to have them on a differnt server

We actually never allowed free hosting... I think when the new TOS was done it was left out, but by the look of it, the 2 that offer free hosting are going so we have no more problems :)

So what are the next steps for affected people?
Do I need to re-upload all the php files on my clients accounts and then -R 644 *.php? What about xml files?

Obviously I'll be forcing password resets on all my clients and changing all of my own too, just to be on the safe side.

Do I need to check for any files that might be lurking?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time I've ever been hit with anything like this, in about 7 years of hosting numerous different sites. :eek3:

Thanks

Sy

In your 7 years did you contact any hosts directly with questions instead of on public forums :wink2:

That would depend on the situation. ;)

Anyway it would appear that the server has now been taken offline. But thanks for your constructive and helpful input.

lol nice moderation on here... ;)

Anyway, so people are aware.

ConnectHost as well as NetXServers and 5MinuteVPS have all been brought out by PC-Core.net. And server2 is fried and now offline. All users accounts are to be transferred off it.

Wow Hitler on a rampage with the mods on here. PMSL

Well, Decker, I respect you alot when you seem like you are the only one out of a few people on this forum who think before they type...

unfortunately though I am going to have to agree with Sym0n here because NetX's support competley disappears from time to time... I have been trying to get ahold of them for WEEKS! No support tickets replied to, and the chat is rarely online and when it is I have to go under a pen name just to be heard...

NetX is nuts.

It ruined my business and it will ruin yours too.

Excuse me, but for a start, you were the one who let in the damn hacker, so I suggest you be quiet.

If you need support, submit a ticket. You haven't submitted one in a month... We don't ignore people, why should we? We've done nothing but help you ever since you signed up and I can't stand people who do this kind of thing.

You are being refunded and terminated from our service.

@ Sym0n: I'll email you now ;)

Excuse me, but for a start, you were the one who let in the damn hacker, so I suggest you be quiet.

If you need support, submit a ticket. You haven't submitted one in a month... We don't ignore people, why should we? We've done nothing but help you ever since you signed up and I can't stand people who do this kind of thing.

You are being refunded and terminated from our service.

@ Sym0n: I'll email you now ;)

Me confused..I thought it was the OP that had the hacker...now its another person too or did you just get confused for a sec? Or did I completely miss something :S.

I hope everything's worked out for you as that last post showed some signs of frustration.

Me confused..I thought it was the OP that had the hacker...now its another person too or did you just get confused for a sec? Or did I completely miss something :S.

I hope everything's worked out for you as that last post showed some signs of frustration.

OK, we've had 3 hackers

1. First poster, was just a shell script, nothing serious
2. Second knew my password to NetX site, didn't get a chance to do anything before he was caught
3. TornadoGaming, his free host let in a hacker on about 12 different accounts which has pretty much crippled the server. Then he comes along and complains when we've done nothing but help him... I mean, really. I'm getting so sick of this kind of thing lately (If any of you are DP/WHT members, you'll probably know why)

:)

Sorry. The ToS was not visible on ConnectHost.net. I bet you $5 you cannot find there whole Terms of Service Page located anywhere on there site. The target URL is live, but there is no link on the site, so how your clients know not to allow free hosts?

Pretty sure the OP allowed free hosts too...

And I am not complaining. It is just a shock that I come home from work to see my service terminated without warning and then 10 hours later realized I let in a hacker...

Well, I am really sorry for what happened, but don't you think after being hacked on 2 occassions that you could get it right the 3rd time?

I know that the severity was a little bit higher on the incident I am at fault for, but I mean, come on. If you see a security trend in your server going down, I would have rather you taken the server offline instead of it being vulnerable towards the next set of hackers...

You just hit me with a ton of bricks...

OK, we've had 3 hackers
3. TornadoGaming, his free host let in a hacker on about 12 different accounts which has pretty much crippled the server. Then he comes along and complains when we've done nothing but help him... I mean, really. I'm getting so sick of this kind of thing lately (If any of you are DP/WHT members, you'll probably know why)

:)

Free hosters don't go un-noticed. Free hosting you are talking about HUNDREDS of accounts -- so you CLEARLY KNEW he was doing this -- that is your ignorance.

You have been hacked a total of what, 3 times now? Ever hear of server security and hardening? Apparently not.

You are showing disrespect to your clients (ex-clients, whathaveyou). You clearly knew it was there, hundreds of accounts causes an immense amount of overhead, you cannot tell me you didn't notice that and let it go un-noticed for months?

Sorry not trying to start a flame war, but to me it seems like common sense.

* Get real security for your server
* Actually monitor it

Do those two simple steps and you should be golden!

Last edited:
I know that the severity was a little bit higher on the incident I am at fault for, but I mean, come on. If you see a security trend in your server going down, I would have rather you taken the server offline instead of it being vulnerable towards the next set of hackers...

The only security issue on a shared hosting server is usaly the clients.
Most hackers get in to a server via someone giving them access :lol:
Its called social hacking.
You have been hacked a total of what, 3 times now? Ever hear of server security and hardening? Apparently not.

You are showing disrespect to your clients (ex-clients, whathaveyou). You clearly knew it was there, hundreds of accounts causes an immense amount of overhead, you cannot tell me you didn't notice that and let it go un-noticed for months?

* Actually monitor it

As for you, I bet I could order a shared hosting account from you and ---- up your server in 10 mins.(Not that I would hack anyone or do things like that)
Its not hard. It dont even take a brain, Shared hosting is only as secure as to how smart the people on it are. :knockedou
What I find funny is the fact you really are naive enough to think a certain amount of security will safe guard you, Being cocky is when things go very wrong.
I managed a free host for some time, Only ever had one hack attempt where all they did was upload a scam site.
I didn't have full blown security systems, I had knowledge and clients with knowledge that knew not to let every tom ---- and harry access to the system.
We used very stricked guidelines when handing over access as we knew that any one account could become the exploit to the next hacker. Its impossible to stop.
Even hostgator gets haxed.

Last edited:
Sorry. The ToS was not visible on ConnectHost.net. I bet you $5 you cannot find there whole Terms of Service Page located anywhere on there site. The target URL is live, but there is no link on the site, so how your clients know not to allow free hosts?

Pretty sure the OP allowed free hosts too...

And I am not complaining. It is just a shock that I come home from work to see my service terminated without warning and then 10 hours later realized I let in a hacker...

Well, I am really sorry for what happened, but don't you think after being hacked on 2 occassions that you could get it right the 3rd time?

www.connecthost.net/tos.html

Oh, and I am certainly terminating your account now. Opening a PayPal dispute is against the TOS.

Free hosters don't go un-noticed. Free hosting you are talking about HUNDREDS of accounts -- so you CLEARLY KNEW he was doing this -- that is your ignorance.

* Actually monitor it

We did have security hardening, monitoring, management etc etc from WebbyCart. Well all I have to say is they were USELESS. We now use LiquidSupport and they are great :)

Now, I didn't even look at the list of accounts until after the hacking... I had James tell me that there was a free host, but I didn't know it was one with 700 subdomains :eek3:

The only security issue on a shared hosting server is usaly the clients.
Most hackers get in to a server via someone giving them access :lol:
Its called social hacking.

As for you, I bet I could order a shared hosting account from you and ---- up your server in 10 mins.(Not that I would hack anyone or do things like that)
Its not hard. It dont even take a brain, Shared hosting is only as secure as to how smart the people on it are. :knockedou
What I find funny is the fact you really are naive enough to think a certain amount of security will safe guard you, Being cocky is when things go very wrong.
I managed a free host for some time, Only ever had one hack attempt where all they did was upload a scam site.
I didn't have full blown security systems, I had knowledge and clients with knowledge that knew not to let every tom ---- and harry access to the system.
We used very stricked guidelines when handing over access as we knew that any one account could become the exploit to the next hacker. Its impossible to stop.
Even hostgator gets haxed.

Yep! :)

Its pretty easy to bring down a shared servers, you can do it with a simple php file. However there are ways to reduce risk.

Becasue of the way Cpanel works each account gives you full access to all the domains and subdomains hosted in that account. This is a fact. If you are not aware of that you should be :) So if you are hosting many subdomains with different users in a single account, if hack one you hack them all...

Arguably monitering is just as important as security. The quicker you are aware of an issue the quicker you can get it resolved and reduce the damage. I've written a nice piece on my blog about some monitering solutions that can help you become aware of these problems beginning.

I am not trying to make a fight here....

I had no clue where the ToS was, and I really would have cooperated if you wanted me to take away the free host that was on my server.

I never received a e-mail or a notice from you guys about this issue and I have had this specific client since APRIL!

I'm sorry for what happened and I am leaving your server and I don't want anything else to escalate from this.

Note: Your Terms of Service is down right now

Last edited:
Back