• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Control Panel

there really is not a whole lot of difference. I personally if given the choice would choose direct admin. they have a one time license option that is very tasty and the control panel is very cleanly laid out and straightforward.

MANY people here put a super strong emphasis on cpanel because that is all they know or hear about. Direct admin is a great panel don't let anyone tell you that cpanel is the only game in town

Thank you Avail. I agree with you 100%. Because just these last past few days, I was debating on whether to purchase a server with cPanel or DirectAdmin.

I'm still thinking about it, thank you very much.

Again, I agree with you 100%. (Expecially on people putting a strong emphasis on cPanel.) I think people should give other control panels a chance, to see the quality in other control panels aswell.

Thank you.

Direct Admin is a very nice control panel, I don't think its quite up there with cPanel just yet. It will save you some $$ as far as license fees are concerned compared to cpanel.

If you want a demo of a nicer skin for directadmin:

http://www2.ecsportal.com:2222
Login: demo_reseller
Password: demo

User Login: demo_user

Admin Login: demo_admin

Most of my users prefer DirectAdmin over CPanel. We have Installatron as well, but it does not show up in the demo.

One thing I can say about DirectAdmin is it is rock solid, works as advertised. Plus, to give you an idea of resources... I've installed DirectAdmin on 64MB RAM - VPS' that run excellent. Try that with CPanel :) I barely get CPanel to run without eating up all of the resources on 256MB VPS'.

Here's an example :)
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND

nobody 18006 0.0 0.0 6472 320 ? S 16:35 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d
nobody 18011 0.0 0.0 6472 320 ? S 16:35 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d
nobody 18012 0.0 0.0 6472 320 ? S 16:35 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d
nobody 18013 0.0 0.0 6472 320 ? S 16:35 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d
nobody 18014 0.0 0.0 6472 320 ? S 16:35 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d

Last edited:
Directadmin use less resources
Directadmin is cheaper
Directadmin users (not just resellers) can change their DNS ZONES

Montlhy licenses
Directadmin DED: 15$-9$
Cpanel DED: 30$-25$
Directadmin VPS: 5$
Cpanel VPS: 10$

I've considered internal licenses.

hey, escportal...where did you get that skin? Looks so cool. And, how much did it cost?

Yeah, I like DA..alot. I want it to become as big as cPanel.

The only problem I see with it is that more people demand/request cpanel as they are more used to it. I'm afraid that switching to DA might hurt your client base or make your offers look less attractive...

People are afraid of the unknown...

Volt.Networks said:
The only problem I see with it is that more people demand/request cpanel as they are more used to it. I'm afraid that switching to DA might hurt your client base or make your offers look less attractive...

People are afraid of the unknown...

Indeed. If you check every request in both paid and free hosting forums you'll see all users are crazy for a cPanel account. I personally preffer DirectAdmin too, but have to go we're the business is going..

mr.d1n1 said:
Indeed. If you check every request in both paid and free hosting forums you'll see all users are crazy for a cPanel account. I personally preffer DirectAdmin too, but have to go we're the business is going..

That's where the problem lies. If wwebhosts only offer cpanel, how will users ever know of DirectAdmin. However, webhosts take a risk by offering DirectAdmin because most users don't know much about it...

Is anyone brave enough to try to change what clients want?

Alot of hosts are already offering it but they do so alongside Cpanel, I do not know of many hosts offering DA as the only control panel available on their packages.

What matters mostly is where you market your services. Forum individuals/webmasters tend to be cPanel biased. Other markets won't care much if at all about the exact brand of control panel you're using.

My personal opinion is, these panels are all the same, cpanel, direct admin, vhcs, some other panel I saw the other day, simply becuase none of them have anything new, they work because of features of linux and apache not because of the panel itself.

Eventually users will come to realise that, the next server I pay out money for won't be gettin any such expensive software to run it, all the software needed to run a server is installed with linux, the panel isn't even necessary, I will only offer free hosting on such a machine, but at the same time, profit margin will increase dramatically having saved much money on useless software.

I hate cpanel, it's boring to look at, mundane to use, menus are nice, everything else is just so basic, the bear minimum, and I reckon they are frighteningly lazy, Apache2 has been stable for 2 years now, and no one has even touched their "beta" installers for apache 2 since 2003, that's appauling, absolutely terrible, there are some nifty modules available for Apache2 that anyone who wants to keep thier entitlement to support cannot use, because they don't support it.

grrr ...

Volt.Networks said:
That's where the problem lies. If wwebhosts only offer cpanel, how will users ever know of DirectAdmin. However, webhosts take a risk by offering DirectAdmin because most users don't know much about it...

Is anyone brave enough to try to change what clients want?

my opinion is that everyone is trying to blend in with cpanel, just like everyone else. The true question is that what distinguishes you from the other 10,000 hosts both, good and bad, that will gain you the edge in competition?

We are in winding down in our move over to H-Sphere, as soon as clients found out they are going to be in truly redundant multi server clustered environment their tune vastly changes on control panel preference. They are proud to be hosted and breathe a sigh of relief knowing they are in a TRULY reliable hosting environment. All my clients have been notified and have received tutorials and demos on hsphere so they can get use to the interface. Feedback has been excellent with no negative issues in the least.

cost difference for the end user: $0
Benefit to the consumer: $priceless

My honest opinion, I like DirectAdmin's interface the best. I find it's simple and easy. I also like Plesks too. cPanel is alright I guess but I like DA and Plesk better. Hmm, I don't like serverCP's (Zervex) control panel too much, even though it's free...just doesn't suit me. A free control panel interface that I really like is VHCS I find it very powerful.

Anyways, I wish that more people would give other control panels a try and stop thinking that cPanel is the best control panel out there.

Sorry if that was off-topic to what the previous posts were.

Thank you.

I agree, most of my customers after using DA for a month..Absolutely WILL NOT go back to CPanel. Too many options, too overwhelming. People like it simple, if you can ever get people to try the other control panels...They will see the light =)

Sorry guys, but Hsphere is the next generation for Control Panels...... I used to love Cpanel in the past though.

Back