• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

could you sticky this thread in all hosting requests/offers forums please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overselling.
What:
Overselling is when a company offers more space than they really have on there servers, and then rely on everyone not using it.

Bad?:]
Not always: if overselling is done in low volumes it can help clients get a better deal, and since most people to do not use all their space it can help those who do get a better deal. (This is just my opinion)

Know issues:
Hosts start to compete to offer the most space at the cheapest rates, regardless of if it means overselling or not, this builds up with some hosts offering ridiculous amounts. The issue with this, it lowers the cost of what the client expects to pay. And so the cycle repeats itself.

Example
Jo runs a company and offers 10 gigs of space and 645 gigs of band for $6.99 (this is taken off a offer I recently saw)
Now, here is a typical server: 80gb hd, 1000gb bandwidth for $120
(I realise some people can get better deals than this, so dont allways judge to harshly)
Now: work it out, for $1 of the server costs i get 666mb space and 8.3GB bandwidth. Lets round this up according to other factors (cheaper server and mild overselling) $1 = 1gb and 10gb.
But wait! Theres more! A good company has overheads: backup drives, tech support, server management, software, ect...

So please, for goodness sake, if your overselling this much. STOP. and if your a client, think before you buy.
And please dont ask for stupid amounts for tiny prices.

influct said:
Overselling.
What:
Overselling is when a company offers more space than they really have on there servers, and then rely on everyone not using it.

That's not the only way of overselling but its the major one.

EDIT: Actually, its just ways of differently wording the same thing, heh.

Okay heres an offer :)

Dedicated Server
Unlimited Space
Unlimited Transfer
Unlimited IPS
Any OS and Control Panel
$5.99

;), aing that great, this is the oversellers machine, lol, see they can sell there packages at $4.99 becuase 2 packages pay for there dedicated server :)

darn right, a little salty next time you make them, add sugar not salt ;), makes for a better cookie, and O, by anychance you have some milk.

Back on topic, yes overselling is something that really can say either way.

The business Im working for now, has unmetered bandwitdh for there shared clients. however when you place things in context this company is a 25k a month server and some staff wages put in there. So you figure that with that theres more then enough room for better dedicated packages.

I know at this time, machines we run come with 3300GB transfer per machine, and we are using the 10x rule, so we figure most a client will use of 30gb soace is 300GB, thats at most, you show me a client that should be on a shared that runs using that much transfer, and ill tell you if his site is stable, then darn ill give him an cookie.

Normally people like the idea of not being restricted, so aslong as you make it clear, as we do, that you are monitored via cpu time usage etc. and abusing the shared networks then ofcourse your be asked to upgrade or cancel. So I think an overseller is typicaly fine if he/she makes good communication with the client during the order time, to make sure they relize that they still are monitored even though its unmetered. Just means we wont rag on you for going over.

Just my 2cence, and personally I havent seen any problems, by doing things this way, so yea, it seems to work fine :)

Just found this from
WeHostYou

Senior Package
60GB Disk Space

800GB Data Transfer

$6.95 per month

as low as $6.00 per month

Unlimited Email Accounts
Unlimited MYSQL Databases
Unlimited Sub Domains
Unlimited Parked Domains
Unlimited Addon Domains
Cgi-Bin and much more

lol, well they cant add, lol.

Price is $6.95/month however they say as low as $6.00, im pretty sure its higher by atleast .95/month ;).

lol, thats pretty bad,

Now i guess in a way my company isnt to much better for overselling looks, but considering we have been around since Nov 29th 2003, and now have 5 full servers and ordering server 6 today lol, to keep load down, i dont think were doing to bad at all.

The unmetered bandwitdh is noted when ordering that if you abuse your limited, and since our servers only host a small amount of clients per machine, and our machines are all 3.0GHZ+ with 4GB ram, and 250GB space drives with raid backups, on an unmetered line, we normally dont have any issues. considering the business has been around since 2003.

That is one way of telling what business is actually better, a business around with slight overselling which has been around for more then a few months, and a business only online for a few months overselling.

Then again theres the reviews that tell the story of a business. But in all, depends on your market niches who you bring in as clients. ;)

Now hears an interesting case of overselling, hard to tell if this is possible, there dedicated servers suck, iv tested them myself - http://www.indexcore.com/

Last edited:
influct said:
most people to do not use all their space it can help those who do get a better deal. (This is just my opinion)

If it is your opinion then it can't be a sticky. You can't expect people to run by your own opinion

mr.d1n1 said:
If it is your opinion then it can't be a sticky. You can't expect people to run by your own opinion

Agreed this topic isnt really worthy of being stickied

But if you included all aspects of hosting then it could possibly be stickied:beer:

Aggreerd, I would edit your post, and see if an mod will pull it out from this thread and make it a sticky :).

the only bit thats an opinion is the bit about it can be handy for clients.
the rest is fact.
feel free to comment.
which bit do you suggest i edit.

true, its just annoying when you see the requests getting more and more ridiculous, and the hosts keeping up with them in a bid to get a client, and not just standing their ground.

Yes, that is true, unfortanly the clients end up learning the hard way, and we end up seeing another business close, and most cases the person starting up again and again, but thats the nice funny thing in this business, watching the people start over again and again, and still doing the same things over and over again. ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back