• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cPanel Licensing Question

Sitebee

UFO Hunter
NLC
Seeing as the dedicated server cpanel license cost more than double that of a vps license can you install virtualisation software on the server and set the container size that of almost the server resources thus getting the cpanel license cheaper?

I can't find anything about the limitations of a cPanel VPS License, but I did find this question asked on another forum. DavidG replied with the following in 2008. Although he stated this on a forum, it's not in their terms, EULA or anywhere on their website, so my guess is that it isn't really enforced.
cPanelDavidG said:
There are no resource limits on how large you can make a VPS instance that you install a cPanel VPS license into. However, VPS licenses of cPanel/WHM are not to be used for virtual dedicated servers.

cPanelDavidG said:
A Virtual Dedicated Server is when you have 1 VPS instance on an entire physical machine.

Last edited:
I think vpses that uses software virtulization (os virtulization) has different cPanel license cost than the vpses that are based on hardware virtulization.

I think vpses that uses software virtulization (os virtulization) has different cPanel license cost than the vpses that are based on hardware virtulization.
cPanel and quite a few of their distributors seem to charge the same for all VPS licenses, although I did see that cPanel OpenVZ licenses were around $1 cheaper at one time.

Almost all control panels and control panel add-on provide cheaper prices for vps. Both cPanel and Plesk do provide cheap licensing cost for vps

[JSH]John;1176738 said:
I can't find anything about the limitations of a cPanel VPS License, but I did find this question asked on another forum. DavidG replied with the following in 2008. Although he stated this on a forum, it's not in their terms, EULA or anywhere on their website, so my guess is that it isn't really enforced.
cPanel would not like anyone doing its but the VPS license works fine with on a VPS node with one license or many.

Back