• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dear free hosting providers

Host Quality

So what, they decided from the get go that they would provide hosting for six months, five months or less and that's it?

Yep.

One saturday when you're bored grab a cocktail and read the "Evolved novel thread". That's why I'm rather stern with my reporting rules. For Alumni, which comprise 75%ish of total hosts, 50% of them had absolutely no intention to be there longer than a year. (Let's be careful, lack of intention is not the same as a choreographed fraud. I think I only recall a couple of those. L4rge was the signature one - it was a data scraping venture hiding as a host.)

I'd put those folks as more "let's make a webhost for a lark". That's how the lack of intention occurs. It's fun, it's fun to hoard over your army of clients, let's post ads on FWS! Then as I liked to say that infamous 4-7 month mark hits - the minute something goes sour they fold. The individual reasons do vary, that's why I don't call it fraud (except those couple), it's just a thundering lack of planning.

In summary the colossal mistake all these new hosts make is you need TWO people minimum to start an average "good host". One needs to be the lead techie and the other needs to be a financer. X % of all those failed hosts are because they miss one or the other - either they have the $1000 (to be figurative) but get all tangled in DNS issues etc, or they have the tech skill but start off with a low end reseller and then oversell it until someone calls their bluff with a data pull. Bonus if they have a third runner just to glue it all together with support tickets and admin junk just so that the two leads don't wipe out.

It's "not hard". I can sweep FWS and make about 5 good hosts on paper by just matching up the component skill sets.

There used to be an old internet joke about a form of why something wouldn't work. We could practically make one of those here and just click off the boxes when our favorite mistakes show up over and over.

For their dignity though is why I made my corner Opt In. And the results still happened, knowing they would be on the wrong end of the spotlight.

Last edited:
Back