• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated or VPS Decision

Abdulz

Im looking for a dedicated server or a VPS, but before i decide on getting one and who to go with im wondering...

If im a re-seller and hosting clients, what would i need (either Dedicated or VPS) and how much would i need? (Diskspace, Bandwith) IF i have 32GB Diskspace and 510GB Bandwith on my Reseller account.

No Budget as im not requesting for a dedicated/VPS server!

Last edited by a moderator:
a VPS will be enough if you do not wish to expand your hosting business, but if you wish to bring in more clients then just go with a 1000 gb bandwidth server as in the long run, it saves more money and you can earn it back from hosting

VPS first - noboby will match your reseller that looks heavily oversold (and dwon at the moment if it is the one in your signature).

Either would server you well, it would be cheaper just to get a low end dedicated server rather than a high end VPS.

Just remember that if you are not capable of managing your VPS or dedicated server, purchase a managed package.

I have a question..(Example: My host has 1% uptime, and i want my site to be 99.99% uptime, so i go on a dedicated server and now will my uptime increase??)

And what else does a Dedicated Server do to your site other than increase the speed of it?

It might be a newbie question, but hey its my topic ^^

ced said:
:shame:
VPS not stable, more accout have root access on same server !!!
I recomed dedicated

Hehe thats new VPS is not stable :biggrin2: cause others have root access. Read up a bit more CED before posting.

Anywas virus even your dedicated can have 1% uptime it all depends if you type shutdown command or shutdown -r now command :). Tell your budget and maybe we can help find a good dedicated for yaa. And dont get suse on either vps or dedicated cause i just ended up fixing sql problem of some suse vps user but had to do so many reinstalls so its not worth the time to go for a OS if you cannot handle it .Good choices if you look for dedicated or vps and os would be Centos 4.2 or FC4 .

Cheers

a1whs.com said:
Hehe thats new VPS is not stable :biggrin2: cause others have root access. Read up a bit more CED before posting.

Anywas virus even your dedicated can have 1% uptime it all depends if you type shutdown command or shutdown -r now command :). Tell your budget and maybe we can help find a good dedicated for yaa. And dont get suse on either vps or dedicated cause i just ended up fixing sql problem of some suse vps user but had to do so many reinstalls so its not worth the time to go for a OS if you cannot handle it .Good choices if you look for dedicated or vps and os would be Centos 4.2 or FC4 .

Cheers

I meant that if my host has 1% uptime and im registered on a dedicated server, then the next day my host goes down, will my site go down or will it stay on since its in a dedicated server? <-- Need this answering A.S.A.P

Ive found this dedicated server :: (not buying any yet!)
# Pentium IV (non Celeron!)
# 512 MB RAM
# 30 GB usable IDE storage
# 60 GB IDE backup drive
# 4 TB bandwidth per month
# $99 Yearly - No Setup Fee

Is that good or can i get better quality/cheaper?

If its a dedicated, then your domain wont be on the same server as your host. Unless they cancel the server or goes bust, your site wont go down.

Whether your server perform or not is entirely up to you because you have 99% control.

Ok thx and...

If i have bought a dedicated server, and my site is now running on my dedicated server. Do i still need to pay my reseller host to still host me?

And thats about it..

NetCafe said:
If its a dedicated, then your domain wont be on the same server as your host.

Who said that his site wont go down, chances are 50% that his will go down too cause if its network issue causing downtime of your host what makes you think your dedicated server on same network would still be up?

And you talk to your reseller that you want to cancel your account before the next billing cycle begins and make sure you move your files/accounts prior to asking that :). Than you wont have to pay your reseller but only pay the monthly server bills.

And the server you found looks fishy for providing 4tb of bw for only 99$ per month so might as well post their site url so we can tell if your falling for a trap or not.

Well on the site it says : Optional Admin Web Panel . So asking them would be better. And what OS they install and stuff. Probably Debian Linux as Os ask them if centos 4.2 can be installed instead cause if your not linux guru than centos will ease your pain a bit. And ask them whats a non celeron ?

* cough * cough * Which is WHY I SAID * cough * cough * 99%. :p

a1whs.com said:
Who said that his site wont go down, chances are 50% that his will go down too cause if its network issue causing downtime of your host what makes you think your dedicated server on same network would still be up?

And you talk to your reseller that you want to cancel your account before the next billing cycle begins and make sure you move your files/accounts prior to asking that :). Than you wont have to pay your reseller but only pay the monthly server bills.

And the server you found looks fishy for providing 4tb of bw for only 99$ per month so might as well post their site url so we can tell if your falling for a trap or not.

Back