• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated server question

ace2010

Sorry if this is a silly question but lets say that you have order a small dedicated server, how you will know that you get a dedicated server and not a VPS ??

Check the hardware from within the command line and verify that it's genuine hardware and not "virtual" hardware. Also check the kernel.

SSH .... secure shell. Download putty. Telnet can also work if your box allows it. In secure shell, to view the kernel info, type in:

uname -r

Most VPS servers run special kernels that will end in -xen or similar.
The following commands can be used to show CPU information:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Make sure it says "genuine intel xeon" or something similar.
The following can be used to show memory information:

cat /proc/meminfo

And the following can be used to show other information about your hardware such as PCI cards, ethernet controllers, video cards, etc:

lspci

Good luck.

this is what i got

uname -r
5.5-STABLE

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory

$ cat /proc/meminfo
cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory

edit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the server use freebsd and i found that proc does not work with freebsd
so i run this
sysctl -a | grep -i CPU | less

System information as of Fri Apr 29 22:15:00 EDT 2011
System load: 0.17 0.20 0.17
Memory usage: 37%
CPU usage: PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
kern.threads.virtual_cpu: 1
kern.ccpu: 1948
kern.smp.maxcpus: 1
kern.smp.cpus: 1
debug.cpufreq.lowest: 0
debug.cpufreq.verbose: 0
hw.model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
hw.ncpu: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
machdep.cpu_idle_hlt: 1
dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.freq: 2801
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2801/-1 2450/-1 2100/-1 1750/-1 1400/-1 1050/-1 700/-1 350/-1
dev.acpi_throttle.0.%desc: ACPI CPU Throttling
dev.acpi_throttle.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.cpufreq.0.%driver: cpufreq
dev.cpufreq.0.%parent: cpu0

can you help me to translate this info please
for the memory i do not find a command

Last edited:
By the CPU specs, it appears that you have a genuine server. Were you worried that somebody might have ripped you off?

Last edited:
i was not worry as the server is from a big hosting company (i worry a little about the server speed)
but i wanna validate that was a real dedicated server as you never know

Last edited:
There is a way to check under Linux :

cat /proc/user_beancounters ; only exists on OpenVZ/Virtuozzo VPSes;
dmesg | grep QEMU ; several virtualization technologies use Qemu;
grep Xen /var/log/dmesg ; Xen usually seems to identify itself as the BIOS type;
ls -al /boot ; Linux-vServer doesn't seem to provide /boot (among other things);

Hello,

really its simple ask support, or just ask them to change OS like to Windows, if here are VPS, you cant do this.

The reason he asked in the first place was because he wasn't sure if his upstream provider was lying to him about the hardware that was issued. The thread is old. It's over.

A dedicated server offers you high-class features with complete root access and 24-hour client support. You can grow your business without any stress.

Dedicated Servers are the most reliable, secure, and robust web hosting service that has only one business hosting on the server. It gives the business complete control and removes the concept of multi-sharing, i.e., sharing the server among various hosting accounts as felt in Shared Hosting and VPS Hosting. The client has total control over security, privacy, and complete server resources for their websites.

Benefits of ByteNAP Cheap Dedicated Server:

1. Reliability
2. Flexibility
3. Better Performance
4. Full Control of Applications
5. Cost Savings - You Pay For What You Use
6. 24/7 Support

Any company that intends to grow or anticipates a high volume of traffic should consider dedicated hosting, since it allows them to have an entire server to themselves. Furthermore, they cannot afford to have the site down since it would likely lose consumers. The ideal hosting option for them is dedicated hosting since it provides more security, uptime, and bandwidth than other options. Our firm provides excellent rates on dedicated hosting services. We promise 99.9% uptime, 24x7 customer support, free setup and domains for life, and much more at low pricing. For additional information, please see our dedicated hosting options.

Back