• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated server with AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shona

What would you say about this kind of a Dedicated server:
AMD X2 250 8GB RAM 500GB HDD 10TB Traffic CentOS 5.6 32-bit SLA

Is it good for game servers hosting? Will game servers lag terribly on it?
Or should I really change my dedi to something like Intel Xeon / I3?

Post your opinions please :)

No, it's not good for game server hosting. The AMD 250 is only slightly more powerful then a atom processor - in other words, its junk for game server hosting.

For a few personal game servers you'd want at least a Q9550. Source servers will run decently on that - unless it's Garry's Mod. Then you'd want at least a X3460.

Thanks for the reply.
So thats why the host is offering it for cheap prices lol

Heh. :D I'm guessing you could pick something like that up in the $50/mo. range.

The I3 isn't going to help you out much either as far as gameservers are concerned. Like Tyler said, you will want a fairly robust server.

What would you say about this kind of a Dedicated server:
AMD X2 250 8GB RAM 500GB HDD 10TB Traffic CentOS 5.6 32-bit SLA

Is it good for game servers hosting? Will game servers lag terribly on it?
Or should I really change my dedi to something like Intel Xeon / I3?

Post your opinions please :)

Old technology go with a quad core server if running a game server that server would be very slow you have posted

For AMD servers and on a tight budget, I'd suggest minimally to go for something like

Dual Opteron 2216, or
AMD Phenom II x4 840

These could be had for < $50 (depending on other factors too of course, like RAM, hard drive configuration etc)

I have been doing sa mp what is a san andreas multiplayer mod on a AMD dual core processor 2.0ghz with 2gb ram with 20 users without a hitch. :bandit2: i looked into RDP when i had 14 players and it was running windows server 2003 CPU 33% RAM 504mb. Without no users is at CPU 4% and 121MB RAM

Never tryed MTA but i know with the MTA they download maps of the server into the client PC but with sa mp they dont

so it goes to show what game server your running and how many your running at a time.

if your looking to get away fairly cheap i would suggest datashack.net
he has this deal which should work for you at about the $50.00 range

Dual Intel Xeon 5420
2.5Ghz - 2 processors
8 Cores / 8 Threads
8GB DDR2 ECC
500GB
20TB Monthly Transfer
Linux/Windows* OS
5 usable IPv4 Address
/64 IPv6 Address Block**
Remote Reboot Access

$69.00/month

Last edited:
If you need a cheap solution, you'd better go for a VPS. If you need a lot of RAM and space just go and find some bargain dedicated servers that use any of the older generation Intel Xeon CPUs.

It depends on how many players are going to be connected with game server. Obviously with this kind of configuration a higher CPU is recommended.

Generally game applications are resource intensive and as users increases it starts consuming high resources.
So it is better to have dedicated server with high configuration.

Can't imagine that's the case, since his claims are completely untrue.

This.

AMD CPUs have fallen way behind ever since their Phenom model proved to be a thermal nightmare. Today they are only used at all in discount systems with lowend performance, although AMD did buy ATI and makes some very good GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back