• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do users here have something against Minecraft users?

Do users here have something against Minecraft users?

• Total voters
What?
I haven't noticed this.

Were you being offtopic in others people's threads?
I asked for minecraft hosting, and had plenty of valid offers without any negative remarks.

It's not minecraft itself that is the problem.

The problem is that a lot of people come here thinking they are entitled to a completely free minecraft capable VPS, and then give bad attitude when they are informed by people in the industry that such a thing is not normally found free of charge.

Most of the bad publicity towards minecraft folk on here is coming from that.

As Seraphim said, it's the free Minecraft folk that are really annoying. VPSs cost the host money, period.

However, even on our paid hosting, I've noticed several trends among Minecraft users.

1) CPU and I/O usage are RIDICULOUSLY high. I can't tell you how many Minecraft users I've suspended due to resource usage, and monopolizing the entire nodes.
2) As with most gameservers, Minecraft servers often come under attack. Hacking attempts are made, DDoS attacks happen regularly, etc.

SSDs will completely remove any I/O bottleneck. Software RAID arrays (even RAID-10) simply cannot handle a node full of Minecraft servers, you'll need a hardware raid-10 array with BBU or NAND flash cache - and even then it can get iffy since a lot of these users toss backup plugins on their servers which can really degrade performance if not handled correctly.

I wouldn't say the CPU is high, though - at least not on the E3-1230 V2's. Not for the lower slot servers, at any rate.

Minecraft doesn't really come under DDoS attack either. I mean sure, it happens - but most are really low level attacks. I've only seen one server get hit with 4Gbps+ and most stay around 100Mbps-400Mbps which our filter takes care of automatically.

But yes, in general the Minecraft market has been driven into the ground by kiddie hosts and so most people think they take nothing to run and thus should be free. Unfortunately, not true at all.

I'm using E3-1230 v2's with Hardware RAID10 SSDs (cache and BBU), and they still use way too many resources. The attacks aren't large-scale either, but to be honest, I'm not interested in constantly null-routing IPs and trying to fend off attacks constantly for these guys. It's just not worth it. They come under attack more and use more resources than anything else I host.

I'm almost to the point of banning Minecraft servers entirely from our nodes, as I'm really just not in the mood anymore.

I'm using E3-1230 v2's with Hardware RAID10 SSDs (cache and BBU), and they still use way too many resources. The attacks aren't large-scale either, but to be honest, I'm not interested in constantly null-routing IPs and trying to fend off attacks constantly for these guys. It's just not worth it. They come under attack more and use more resources than anything else I host.

I'm almost to the point of banning Minecraft servers entirely from our nodes, as I'm really just not in the mood anymore.

I really don't notice any issues at all with Minecraft and our attack filter just takes care of everything automatically.

Still, if it's causing you that kind of workload, yeah - do what you need to do.

Perhaps I just get all the idiots. :( ha ha!
Ask them what plugins they are using.

Some minecraft server plugins make the server run very heavy resource-wise.

Though it sounds like they only have a vauge idea how to handle or configure these minecraft servers, and they are so high resource usage because they are not properly adjusted.

Right now I'm second in command on a minecraft server that runs on a non-SSD VPS node, and I can tell you from working on that the configurations are everything. Although the minecraft VM lags from time to time (Especially when some moron detonates a few hundred TNT), it doesn't impact the rest of the node noticably.

I'm no host, but I know what you mean. My friend called me up a few weeks ago and asked me to "set up" a server for him. He just wanted to play with me and a few guys once (different locations so no lan). I told him it costs money, and he acted like I was an idiot! I have a minecraft server and told him he's welcome to invite people, but then it wouldn't be his server....

Back