• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do you turn a blind eye to starving children.

I don't, I find it really sad. But I'm currently in such a bad situation myself, poverty, life or death surgery in the next month, faulty body, you name it, I probably have it. And the drugs I am on right now, make me feel weak and little to no energy at all.
But once I am better, I will be putting money in to an account which I will reserve for people I know that are in need, with no strings attached. And If I have enough money, I may sponsor a child. There isn't much I can do for the whole world, but I could possibly save a life.

I rkn its a case of the SMELPs u have.

Anyway srs thread is srs so I keep it srs.
I think all these evil millionaires that leave millions in the bank are committing murder, every second there money is in the bank, another child dies.

I guess I should ask questions before I throw my 2 cents in.

How is the money spent when I donate to ChildFund or whatever? What do they do for the children? Food, Dental, Medical... I know all that... But what about more permanent solutions?

I think we need to get companies to build factories and stuff in those countries, to give their parents jobs.... Or if they have no parents, bring them over here and have them adopted.

The fact they're starving is the least of their concerns. Children in 3rd world countries who need help to survive and not die early, don't die from starvation. Most die from drinking dirty water. IMHO a practical way to help would be to give up drinking bottled water and then donate the ongoing amount of money you would have spent on that to the cause, cause after all they need the water more.

Solving water and food security problems is much more important than giving out bags of rice and beans. Many people have heard the proverb:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Believe it or not the same applies to farming. If we can manage to teach african villagers to plant and cultivate crops we can help them to attain a nutritious diet and to be self sufficient. Giving them handouts is not a good solution

Do not sponsor a child through world vision or any other corporate charity.

Research and find out where your money is going and how much of your donation ends up helping someone. Please donate based on results and not intention.

Also don't forget about the poor starving souls in your own city and country. If you insist on supporting foreigners at least volunteer at or donate to your local food bank

I found one that buys farm animals for them.
You can also offer to help pay the field workers etc but only if you want.

Someone discovered you can make a water filter using clay you dig up, ground up coffee beans and then baking it, is a slow but effective filter that eradicates like 98% of impurities, and one that they can make themselves. Most international aid groups would assist to build wells and other sources of clean water, since the people themselves can continue to build them. That's not to say "giving them handouts" isn't helpful too, in fact if you don't address the short-term there's really no point in trying to address the long-term; so I still take my hat off to groups that focus on short-term work and relief. Digging the miners out of their dungeon in Chile was a "short term" solution that didn't have any long-term significance, but that doesn't make it less valuable. In that situation it was unrealistic to simply give them a shovel and expect them to dig themselves out.

Digging the miners out of their dungeon in Chile was a "short term" solution that didn't have any long-term significance, but that doesn't make it less valuable. In that situation it was unrealistic to simply give them a shovel and expect them to dig themselves out.

That comparison made no sense at all. You're comparing the issue with a completely irrelevant event. There isn't any long-term goal to accomplish with the miners, they were trapped in an accident, the only objective is to get them out as quickly as possible immediately after they were discovered. What is there to be gained by letting them dig themselves out? Nothing.

But in the case of the hunger issue, there is a long-term goal: to somehow enable those starving the ability to feed themselves, because then they will be self-sufficient unto themselves and viola! no more hunger!... at least in theory. Short-term solutions don't really help the problem, sure you save a couple of hundreds from starvation for a few days, up until your resources run out, be it monetary funds or your supplies of food. Then what? Pour more cash into this black hole? What do you get out of this? More importantly, what did they get out of it? A temporary relief, a few more days to live, maybe. But unfortunately, the problem is still there. Money NOT wisely spent, imo.

You missed the point Lex... A long-term goal may have been to improve mining conditions in Chile or something similar. People who are living in third world countries and facing environmental hardship (such as drought) require "temporary" relief measures! With poverty not everything is solvable using long-term methods. There will always be an amount of immediate "handout" action required.

3rd world countries has nothing to do with it. Every country is facing poverty, debt, starvation, homelessness, deadly diseases. Fact is society needs to change, not each individual country. Won't be long before "developed" [if you can call them that, I call it more corrupted] are even shorter on the basics to live, namely USA/UK, since we import most of our produce.

Okay..... but you mentioned giving them a shovel as a long-term solution. :confused:
Well a lot of the work done towards long-term goals in 3rd world countries has been undone by environmental disasters like floods, drought, tsunamis, etc. Situations where even 1st world countries would need assistance in. The only point I wanted to make was that there is always a need for temporary relief alongside long-term work and that applies just about anywhere.

short term must be fixed yes, kinda defeats the purpose to fixing long term if everyone is dead

I would love for the human population to shrink for once instead of grow.

That said, I can ignore starving children.

Neglected and abused animals ignite the fire in me, though.
Any mother----er I see hurting a dog, cat, squirrel, whatever, will get nothing but rage from me.

Actually I have a soft side for people. I am always ready to give something to those who asks for my help. Its my nature, and even my mom is confuse on how generous I am. By the way besides of people, i am also fond of bringing stray cats and dogs to our home. (newbie here)

Back