• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain name expiration

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
I had a domain name expire to the point where it cannot be renewed. However, thanks to information from netfirms, the name is in some sort of period where it gets lock for like 6 to 8 weeks, etc.

Anyways, I know the period is close to be over to where it will allow me to renew the domain name without paying the ridiculous $150 charge.

So, my question is, is there any way to tell how many days I have left so I can do that?

You should be able to do a WHOIS lookup on the domain (it will show it in locked status or such) and it will show the expiration date. From there you should be able to ask Netfirms what the exact timeframe is, and go from there.

You should be able to do a WHOIS lookup on the domain (it will show it in locked status or such) and it will show the expiration date. From there you should be able to ask Netfirms what the exact timeframe is, and go from there.

Well because of the "status" off it, whois really wasn't providing me much information. I been checking every day, so I could register it again soon as it became available.

Unfortunately, I guess another registrar put a backorder bid on it. As of yesterday, it is now registered at another registrar. Ticks me off, but that is what I get.

Luckily, I had another domain linked to it, so the site never really went down. Just not the name I wanted to permanently use.

It usually timeframe for domain cycle is up to 3 months time. Unless the netfirms company would like to hold your domain for longer and resell it at higher price.
Try to register domain name in reliable company .

Thanks for adding a good thread about domain. I want to more info about this question.

SPAM

It usually timeframe for domain cycle is up to 3 months time. Unless the netfirms company would like to hold your domain for longer and resell it at higher price.
Try to register domain name in reliable company .

That is not what Netfirms.com does. That would not benefit them in anyway.

Also, before bashing any company, do your research, and you will see that netfirms.com is a highly respectable and legitimate company.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights-responsibilities

Registrars have to provide each new registrant with notice of the Registrar’s deletion and auto-renewal policies. If the Registrar’s deletion policy changes during the time of the registration agreement, the Registrar has to make efforts to inform the registrants of those policy changes. Details of the deletion and auto-renewal policies have to be displayed on any website the Registrar operates for domain name registration and renewal, and the Registrar should also state on those sites any fee that will be charged for the recovery of a domain name during the Redemption Grace Period (the 30 day period of time during which the name is in "Pending Delete" status with the Registry).

Netfirms policy on renewal can be found here: http://www.netfirms.com/legal/legal_domain.bml#renewals

Renewal obligations. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any and all domains and additional services are renewed prior to their expiration, should you so desire their renewal. You may renew your domain at any time before the expiration date. Netfirms shall have no liability to you or any third party in connection with the renewal, including, but not limited to, any failure or errors in renewing the services.

You may be notified at Netfirms' sole discretion when renewal fees are due. Should these fees go unpaid within the time specified in a notice or reminder regarding renewal, your registration will be cancelled. Payment must be made by such other method as we indicate in the renewal form. If your billing information is not accurate, you are solely responsible for the failure to renew.

Expired domain names. You agree that we may place our contact information in the WHOIS output for any expired domain name, as the failure to renew results in the immediate cancellation of registration and loss of all rights to the domain name. Should you choose not to renew your domain name, you agree that we may, in our sole discretion, renew and transfer the domain name to a third party on your behalf as an Expired Domain Transfer ("ED Transfer").

When you signed up for Netfirms, you agreed to their terms of service, not much you can do. You can contact the owner of the domain to see if they will give you back your domain, other than that if its not registered, you can see if Netfirms will restore it.

You can pay the restoration fees and get the domain renewed.

On Godaddy also, there is a locking period and you can renew your domain name at $75 during that period.

Back