• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Don't you love public holidays

Kaliber

Kaliber
NLC
DOUBLE PAY!!

If any of you bums work you will know what I mean, the feeling of getting double the money for the same ammount of hours. I worked 5 hours today :D

Just thought I would brag a little.

There is no law stating you get "double pay" if you work on a public holiday. It's up to the individual companies. IF you're lucky, you might get time and a half, but sometimes not even that.

On a side note, $6.25/hour sucks. I suppose I shouldn't complain though, since it has gone up 50&cent since last year.

Last edited:
$US6.25 an hour is okay for your age Bruce, I know adult US guys that work for $8 an hour :confused2

And yes, double time is the norm here, anyone working for a company that doesn't pay double time for holidays is a rarity and a rip off! :angry2:

They claim they pay us double time, but they actually only pay straight time plus holiday pay, which works out to double time by their way of figuring it, but my way says I get the holiday pay whether I work or not, and they're only paying straight time for the actual work I do.

Originally posted by Kaliber
hmm, I get $9/hour (well, 8.99) and im 15, how old are you bruce?

That's like comparing apples and oranges. The currency between AUS and US are pretty different, although I do believe 8.99 AUS is probably pretty close to 6.25 US.

I dunno about Down Under, but age is irrelevant in this matter here. It doesn't matter if I'm 16 (which I am) or 57. I'd still get paid $6.25 because it's the minimum wage for the state of Maine.

but it is more probable to find a 16 yr old working for minimum wage than an educated adult.

Where I live the wage is something like 8.15 or 8.50. There is also a law stating that your employer can pay you 6/hr for the first 500 hours you work. Complete bullshit. nothing worse than working for a week and getting a paycheck for $200. and then getting fired after 500 hours. I made more working for the weekend at the local mill then I did all week at BK.

(just a note that I no longer work at Burger King. Fast Food jobs are demeaning, especially at 6 bucks an hour. I'd rather work with a bunch of alcoholic burnouts at the mill than with a bunch of emotional teens and 45 yr old douchebag managers who cant get a better job then a fast food joint. at 22.50/hr I probably make more than a manager anyways.)

Last edited:
hehe. I think starbucks is a nice place to work, despite the yuppies. I mean, its allways warm when its cold out and nice when its hot out. Its got cofee and a nice atmosphere. I like it. That and sunglass hut cuz they pay well.

It works like this where I work. There is a standard adult wage, so if its 100%, and other ages go like this:
15 - 40%
16 - 50%
17 - 60%
18 - 70%
19 - 80%
20 - 90%
21 - 100%

The adult wage is about ~$16

Originally posted by Gayowulf
but it is more probable to find a 16 yr old working for minimum wage than an educated adult.
Yes, that's true, but if your both still working at the same place (e.g Burger King) then you're gonna get the same pay regardless of how old you are.

Originally posted by Bruce
Yes, that's true, but if your both still working at the same place (e.g Burger King) then you're gonna get the same pay regardless of how old you are.
look at my above post, and also, after you have worked for 6 months you get like a 20% payrise

Back