• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fired or Not Fired?

Fired or Not Fired?

• Fired

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Not Fired

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
Long story short, me and a coworker screwed up big time and reformatted the wrong NAS.
As a result the call center lost 4TB worth of recordings spanning from yesterday to 2008, which they contractually need to keep.

Fired or Not Fired?
I'll know tomorrow

Stuff happens. In the UK, they cannot legally fire you over that unless you have a previous writen warning about something else, but Im not sure about Canada, i've read stories tho :S So hope for the best.

Can you blame someone else? Perhaps shift all the blame to the other guy.

Wow - Remind me never to work with you... ever...

You should be a man and own up to your mistakes, sometimes, the best outcome's happen when you just admit you are wrong & apologise, it's what employer's look for in employee's - Trust & Respect. Mistakes happen - But it's what happens after that mistake that counts.

Last edited:
And they don't have any backups? I thought that this kinda stuff would always be backed up somewhere.

I know MY work would fire me over something like that... depends on the company you work for, but my vote goes towards fired based off my experiences.

If you're a good worker, I don't see why they'd fire you if this is your first mistake. As said though, why don't they keep backups if they're so important?

Wow - Remind me never to work with you... ever...

You should be a man and own up to your mistakes, sometimes, the best outcome's happen when you just admit you are wrong & apologise, it's what employer's look for in employee's - Trust & Respect. Mistakes happen - But it's what happens after that mistake that counts.

ITT people who don't find my jokes funny.

They're contractually obligated to keep them, but in reality, they're sitting there taking up space. You'll feel some effect from this, but I doubt you'll be fired for it.

Unless you're TRYING to get fired, in which case, that's a good first step

lol, any smart company would have backups... even if it was a backup and if it was very very important... you would have like 5 or 6 different backups of the important information.

Yeah, they should have had a backup.
What'll probably happen is the management will write this down in their little black book against you, and keep harking back to it over and over, and even if you keep your same job for 20 years, they'll still be using this incident as one of their excuses to heap verbal abuse on you whenever they encounter frustration in their own lives.

Thats there fault for not having backups, blame the manager by talking to the next higher up, shift the blame to managment as its rly there fault.
Higher up will just want someone to blame so they should be ok with it.

+1 on the "they seriously didn't have backups" train.

Let us know how the result ended up. If you don't revisit this thread in another week, we'll assume web access was lost as a result of unemployment.

Interesting, here most companies would quickly sack the employee just so no one high up looks bad... hope you keep your job and learn from your mistakes, if you do keep it, you may wanna suggest they improve things with a backup system.

Keep us posted.

They're contractually obligated to keep them, but in reality, they're sitting there taking up space. You'll feel some effect from this, but I doubt you'll be fired for it.

Unless you're TRYING to get fired, in which case, that's a good first step

4TB isn't a lot

Surprisingly, I was not fired.

As for backups, *I* was in charge of the backups and didn't have that period on tapes yet. Covered 2005-2007 but that's as much as my free time allowed me to tape.

Since we're now starting from scratches it allowed to do it properly.
With 2x 11-hdd SANs for each site and a proper folder structure that would permit automatic backups to tapes and external hdds.

Back