• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free hosts that you used that are now dead

Archbob

Level 8 Chinese Guy
NLC
So what free hosting services have people used in the past that are now dead(or not free anymore)? For me its been:

arealcity
geocities
webjump
crosswinds(no longer free)

There are others but I can remember those. I've been on paid hosting now for like 8-9 years so its a distant memory but who remembers their long-gone free hosts?

Wow! That brings back memories. I remember doing some testing with Crosswinds. They were actually very good.

So what free hosting services have people used in the past that are now dead(or not free anymore)? For me its been:

crosswinds(no longer free)

There are others but I can remember those. I've been on paid hosting now for like 8-9 years so its a distant memory but who remembers their long-gone free hosts?

Croswinds is still free! Except they switched their brand, so the free branch is called cWahi. They are one of the original four winners of my host durability study! So rejoice!

Titaniumhosting was a good provider I had back in the day. Support was good, uptimes and speed were very good, community was healthy. Not sure the exact reason they went under, but was good hosting when it was around.

SPHosting was also another great provider, I dont think they do free plans anymore.

Homestead was my first provider, again, not doing free as far as I know.

I am sure there are a few more that were good but still went under, and I KNOW there are a myriad that I have tried that went under that werent so reliable.

I don't remember or know of any that are dead now that I used. The last time I used free hosting primarily, was 10 years ago. Since then, I have been paying yearly for my domain and hosting. :)

can i count my own freehosting projects to ??
if so , then it are a few (those are all sold :D reason why they are dead ^^ )

if not then it is just freehoxt.org (existed 1 year)
and that is it so far

Greetings From PowerChaos

All of them are very much alive and kicking, except for Geocities. I've been lucky with my choices. I did try Tripod at the same time I tried Geocities a number of years ago but found Tripod very wonky and did not like its positioning of its ads.
:)

When I first started with experimenting with web hosting I was using Kwix-Host :D and I think it was awesome :D

I've used my university's computer science site hosting, Tripod, Homestead, and Angelfire, and I think they're still all running in one form or another.

I used a host I found here for a while called Y-Host, but they died. I think there may be another host with the same name that is around now, but it's a different company.

Working back chronologically:

University's hosting - Some easy assignment for a course last semester (http://csce.uark.edu/~mgammon/)

Tripod - a book report in website form I made in 8th grade for The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I used screenshots from EverQuest to make it look awesome.

Homestead - Outlaws clan website. I think I was 11/12 or so, so maybe 5th/6th grade.

Angelfire - everything I was interested in at the time including Pokemon, cheat codes, Weird Al song lyrics, and the transcript of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It had background music, animated GIFs, and everything. I was 10, so around 4th grade. I deleted the site at one point, and all it has now is some PowerPoint from high school Spanish about 6 or 7 years ago. (http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/monkeydomain/)

Hmmmm. Had no idea. Unfortunately, it looks like they crossed over to the "unlimited" dark side.

That's the running small joke of my study. They did, *years ago* and no one has yet broken their bluff. So I like to call them "Large Bandwidth". Really though, they've been as solid as any of my winners, though I haven't put them to an (honest) test like a download site. I even asked the owner about 800 meg Linux distros and he said "go for it".

That's the running small joke of my study. They did, *years ago* and no one has yet broken their bluff. So I like to call them "Large Bandwidth". Really though, they've been as solid as any of my winners, though I haven't put them to an (honest) test like a download site. I even asked the owner about 800 meg Linux distros and he said "go for it".

Sounds like a challenge to me! ha ha! :D

I think we get caught up in terminology too much at times. Strictly speaking, most providers listed here list their data transfer quotas as "bandwidth" when bandwidth is the measure of the number of bits per second transferred over a link.

Bandwidth: 25 Mbps
Data transfer quota: 50GB

How many "unlimited" providers simply mean unmetered?

Exactly right. They don't mean unmetered when it comes to shared and reseller hosting. See my other posts on this.

Gamespy Planets.

Now that was a good hosting back in the day. Light and fast with reasonable ad placements, I think the only issue I ever really had with it was at one point they had a malicious ad come through that caused problems for a while.

But the community there that I was helping to moderate eventually died a slow painful death, and not long after that the planets servers were shut down.

Geocities... of course.

Anyone remember Xoom/NBCi?

Hypermart/Virtualave

F2S?

Portland.co.uk

Crosswinds...

Ahhh memories. I haven't used free hosting in probably 10 years now.

To my surprise it looks like Fortunecity is still around. It was popular in the early days of free hosting. I even got a free black shoulder bag from them sent to me. :)

Like many others I used geocities for a while. And I signed up for many free hosts just to test them out over the years including Xoom and Hypermart.

I was going to say Brinkster, but I just had a look and it's still around! Doesn't look like they still offer the free package, though.

Back