• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

free web host for domainzero domain

melissa

hello! i've just spent the past HOUR or so pouring over the posts on this board. lovely! lovely! community.

i'm looking for a place to host my domainzero domain (which i got before they went to a paid service). right now i'm using it as a URL frame, but i know i could do so much better if it were actually hosted somewhere...

is there a place i can do this without paying transfer fees? i must admit, i'm a bit confused about the whole process. all i really want is FTP and CGI-BIN, and i can live without CGI-BIN. i'd prefer no adds of course, but could deal with a text-link or a bottom banner.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i've done the search, and i can only find sites that want me to pay a transfer fee. if i control the nameservers, why do i need to pay a transfer fee? like i said before, i don't know a whole lot about this sort of thing (i'm a dumb designer!).

thanks!
melissa

Two banner places come to mind for domain hosting... Netcabins.com (soon to be banner anywhere on the page that you put it) and Xoasis.com (bottom banner).

Originally posted by melissa
...if i control the nameservers, why do i need to pay a transfer fee...

You shouldn't have to pay anything to change your nameservers to a new host. You would only have to pay if you wanted to move your domain from domainzero to another registar, such as gkg.net.

Well, there are a lot of places that will host your site for free. You don't need to "transfer" anything. Just change the NS route(DNS). To point to their server.

Now Peo has been kind enough to help all of use out that are lookingfor a free domain host --> Click Here .. he has put this link on the main page of this site that does an auto search of free domain hosts on this site!

How nice of him huh! There are a lot more on the internet just go to stay up late and look around! :D

Good Luck!

thanks

thanks. i'll look again. (i spent all night last night doing this!) it's hard to find the *right* place!

and xoasis sounds good.

ciao~
melissa

Re: thanks

Originally posted by melissa
thanks. i'll look again. (i spent all night last night doing this!) it's hard to find the *right* place!

and xoasis sounds good.

ciao~
melissa
I wouldn't go with xoasis ... I have heard nothing but complaining from most of their users. Beware I say!!!.

Melissa, is this site of yours going to be important to you? If so, would you consider paying roughly $10/mo to have everything you've ever wanted (bells/whistles), better uptime (generally), ftp, cgi, etc. You may want to consider paid hosting. If you design websites, maybe even a reseller program? Kinda become your own little mini-host.

Check out something like below10host.com for one example of what you could get for under $10 (you probably figured that out due to the name, eh?)

oh yes

i'm really just *testing* the waters here with a free web server.

i'm a student, and when my schedule permits, i "plan" on getting a job. :)

till then, i can't wrack up any more credit card charges.

when i do go bannerless, i plan on using http://vervehosting.com

i've heard very good stuff about them, and for $5 a month (running a personal/design/freegraphics site), you can't really go wrong! many of my friends use vervehosting (after becomming disenchanted with dreamhost) and they love it.

still. i just really want to test the domain thing. i don't really like the URL frame thing i've got going on right now. i think it's sort of tacky.

thanks for all the responses!

i will look into xoasis more!

Chicken-- could you tell me of a reseller program i could check into? or a search i could use?

ciao~
melissa

[Edited by melissa on 11-28-2000 at 08:46 PM]

Well, it might not be a bad idea to research the different types of reseller programs available at http://www.resellerinfo.com and then head over to http://www.recellar.com to check out some reivews (always be careful of these), check the forums there, and pick up some contacts that you could email and ask about a certain reseller host you are interested in.

Also, be sure to check http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3 which is a forum for reselling and starting your own compnay. Read the posts and you'll pick up lots of good info.

Hope this helped you...

Xoasis

I wouldn't go with xoasis ... I have heard nothing but complaining from most of their users. Beware I say!!!. [/B]

Yes, I agree. I've heard many complaints about them too so I tried them. Their don't support CGI even though they say they do, and their tech support is horrible.

Back