• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free webhosting History

Ricky

Hi!

Are there anybody who knows the history of free webhosting ?

(who started it, what were the firsts free webhosting services, how it was...)

Thanks !!!

lets discus it here then!!!

One of the first must be geocities, angelfire and a few others... which came first.. who remembers?

Yes, Geoshitties was, indeed, the first free webspace provider. They opened up in 1995 and began by offering 2 mb free webspace. This, of course, occured before Yahoo! even existed.

Wow!...

So we can say it existed since the beginning of internet (long before I was connected to it...), when, I suppose, it was very calm & primitive...

It seems like the paid hosting had competition already...:)

Originally posted by Cracker
Yes, Geoshitties was, indeed, the first free webspace provider. They opened up in 1995 and began by offering 2 mb free webspace. This, of course, occured before Yahoo! even existed.

Hey!!

Why do you say geoshitties :confused:

The internet was alive since the 70s which was used mostly on mainframe computers...

And yes, GeoCities was the first free webspace provider.

And cracker calls them GeoShitties because they pretty much are crap...but what can you expect for free?

Originally posted by Daniel
...And yes, GeoCities was the first free webspace provider.

And cracker calls them GeoShitties because they pretty much are crap...but what can you expect for free?

Well, Geocities managed to last for an incredible time, compared to the high number of hosts that seems to appears and die in less than a week. In fact, it's can't be compared...

Also, geocities is very quick and is really stable. As a geocities user, I haven't experienced a single second of downtime since I signed up more than one month ago. Not everybody can say half of that about their host...:p

Well, lets get back on topic...:)

Geocities wasnt the first free host. TrailerPark.com was. Geocities is simply the oldest one that's still alive.

Ya well Internet been way around since the 1960s so dont listen to old AL Gore who claim he invented the internet which is not true cause my dad was in Air Force for 20 years and he said Internet came about by accident by the military tho you look at it Compuserve been around since the 1960s started out as a BBS Board tho mainly at the time Internet was only available at Universities and Colleges until it took off back late 80s and early 90s whichever way we wanna look at it! So enough said! :cool:

Originally posted by Weirds
geocities was so great since it started. but it sucks now!:(

Yes, like I said, ever since they were bought out by Yahoo! they started to go downhill. In fact, according to one anti-Yahoo site, in Geocities' original FAQ, they said that they were in the business because they truly believed in building an internet community, but ever since Yahoo! swallowed them up, it has been about nothing except money, and we all know what happens when greed takes over.

Originally posted by X-Istence
every single free host wants to make cash, but like Geocities they do it the wron way, by placing to many ads

Well, of course, money is important, but if one doesn't care about one's members at all, then one shouldn't be in the business. There's free hosts like Crosswinds and T35, who are in the business because they truly believe in a free internet, and then there's Geocities and the "Lycos" free hosts, who probably see their members only as marketing ploys.

Back