• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FWS Christmas of Code

Have a christmas of code ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

krakjoe

stop staring
NLC
I have an idea ...

I'm sure like me, some of you guys will have a fair few hours over christmas with your computer / laptop as your only companion, you know while everyone else is drinking port and arguing about who made the most money last financial year.

So how about, we have a little competition. Up for grabs will be, well nothing actually, except the opportunity to kill some time.

Can we come up with a simple design idea, executable in a few hours, we can then choose the best and that person can consider themselves a fantastic person, and will have something to talk about next christmas.

Lets just see if it's an idea ...

More like, we decide on a design idea, such as a program that can ___blank___, it must be able to ___blank___, it must run on ___blank___ and you must not ___blank___.

Then we decide who done the best job and so on and so forth ....

But a trivia would be over in minutes, and the answers will be the same always ...

This will be trivia in that the question, or design idea will be trivial, only the answers will vary depending on the programmer, making an definitive winner ...

For instance, if I have the design idea "to grab some content from a particular site, store the content in a compressed form, add the ability to display the data in the best visual way you can think of without using third party libraries".

In trivia the question would be "is it possible to grab some content from a particular site, store the content in a compressed form, add the ability to display the data in the best visual way you can think of without using third party libraries", and the answer would always be "yes". In the FWS Christmas of Code the question would be "create code to grab some content from a particular site, store the content in a compressed form, add the ability to display the data in the best visual way you can think of without using third party libraries" and the answers will vary massively ...

Also, we have time I think, the poll closes in 5 days on december 16th, if the majority of answers are yes then we take till the 20th to come up with a design idea and until the 31st December ( that's 11 days, loadsa time ) to put forward entries. Then till 6th January to judge the entires ...

Last edited:
lol, you can't copyright or trademark doing certain things at certain times of the year ... that's silly ...

Sorry Joe, I would mate, but I have so little time to spend with my family as it is working full time and every weekend. I will have to pass. I'm not backing out with my tail between my legs though!

:) Perhaps next time.

Quiet obviously I made the most money in the last financial year thanks to those inner city property investment.

I'm hoping everyone that is saying yes has come up with a couple of design ideas to suggest if this goes ahead. It can't be anything you have done already. The ideas should be something you know most people can do, nothing too obscure as it's not really about the idea but the way it's tackled.

I wasn't going to restrict it to one language, while PHP will probably be the most popular you can write in whatever you want ( from the languages I or another judge knows anyway ) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back