• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Get a PHONE CALL from a human, whenever your server is down (your opinion please)...

astounding

Hey,

Couple of months back I cobbled up a service that phones you (like a real human, except it's a virtual human), whenever any of your servers are down.

EG: Your server 5 is down, and you get a call immediately on any phone in the world. When you pickup, you'll hear: "Myhost.com server 5 is down. Server 5 is down!". You can even specify to hear your own voice for each server.

It can even phone up to 3 numbers (eg: you and your other 2 admins).

Purpose of this was because I found hours can go by where noone knows your server being down. Even hosting management companies are slow. Can leave it for hours if they changing shifts.

But with phone, you'll know instantly no matter where you are. Holiday, tree, beach, etc...

Anyway, I was thinking of releasing this laser accurate service to the public for a small monthly fee (to cover the charges for UNLIMITED phone calls you'll get for up to 3 servers).

Would anyone be interested in such a service? I have a 5 day free trial. Just gotta finish up the letter.

Thanks.
Andre

There are many services like this already however if its a affordable and reliable I mite give it a try. I'm tired of waking up at 2am for false alarms so I stoped using the program I use to use.

Would be nice but like andy I am tired of using services that alert me to a false alarm

just phone calls keep it limited.
perhaps setting the system so it's pager, sms, phone and email?
because you could set it to send you a text during say the hours of 5am & 9am, then a call the rest of the day for example. it'd be harder to setup but more flexible.

Yea false alarm is pretty much 1/20 chances because...

Service checks HTTP by page access method. So if it can't access (eg) http://yourhost.com/page.php, within 5 seconds, 3 times in a row, then it will commence the calling.

Service checks the page every 2 minutes.

Pretty much I made this for 110mb.com, and has been dead accurate every time. 110 uses it as primary and only method.

You can also set how long should the number ring for before moving onto the next (incase one of 3 admins doesn't answer).

Just have trouble naming the service.

Virtual Server Agent
Server Uptime Maximizer
Server Downtime Phone Notifier
Server Downtime Announcer
etc...

Will provide the link when finished with the letter. You can try out.

Thanks for replies so far.

Okie dokie, finished the letter.

You can try (5 day trial) the service here: www.110mb.com/vsa

Use discount coupon in checkout to get it free (won't have to go through any payment process): vsa

Coupon is valid until: 30th May 08.

I'm really hoping after trying it, you'll give me some feedback here. Maybe I put your feedback as testimonial on there. :)

Thanks.

Back