• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Gmail vs Hotmail - Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

worlditsme

Although both of these two offer a large amount of storage space, I was wondering what the best of these two actually is?

Am currently using Hotmail but have a feeling that Gmail is actually a much better service.

I use my Gmail account as my primary account, because I don't get any spam. My hotmail accounts are all overflowing with spam emails.

You offer hosting. Why are you using a free email service still? Run your own email server.

I use the business version of Google Apps to run my email service. Why? Less hassle and cheaper. Plus, save's my servers from being overloaded with spam. $100 a year compared to $1,000 is a big difference. I'd rather just stick with the lower price for the better quality.

Postfix with Spamassassin isn't that hard to configure. Just Google yourself a couple of guides on how to do it as a starting point, then go by what works for your needs from there. I use Dovecot with mine as well for IMAPS and POP3S client support as well, that way I don't have to use a web-based interface.

At the moment my Hotmail inbox actually gets noticeably more spam in it than the emails being handled by my own server, mainly due to the use of greylisting and spamassassin with postfix for mail handling.

It all depends on your needs though. I have heard a lot of good things about gmail's service, and have previously used gmail as a failover for handling my mail when my own equipment was being less than reliable.

Hotmail on the other hand I have used for years on end, it still does what it needs to. Just lately it has seen an increase in spam that is getting past their filters, and their current site layout leaves a bit to be desired. Especially with all the advertising.

Last edited:
I use both, both have their advantages & disadvantages. I personally prefer Hotmail because I use MSN and I also have it fully integrated into my WP7, and of-course use it for Zune, Xbox Live etc etc.

I also use Google for more business orientated email, but don't use Google Apps as of yet.

I use both, both have their advantages & disadvantages. I personally prefer Hotmail because I use MSN and I also have it fully integrated into my WP7, and of-course use it for Zune, Xbox Live etc etc.

I also use Google for more business orientated email, but don't use Google Apps as of yet.

I use my Gmail on Xbox live, Windows Messenger, and other Windows-related sites.

I also use both. I use gmail for commerical posts or personal business posts and hotmail for personal e-mails. I also use Yahoo. For me they are all basically the same in total. For some or other (perhaps irrational) reason I'm always worried about Google with its clever bots. So keep my accounts with Google as impersonal as possible.

Gmail. As Schmarvin, I have it linked to all LIVE related stuff - from back in the days they allowed you to use non @/live/hotmail/msn alias'. Quicker and simpler to load. Gmail had POP for years, whereas Hotmail never, it wasn't free on basic accounts. Spam filter is better. I could go on, but we all know how good Gmail is xD

Last edited:
I have account on both Gmail and Hotmail. But I noticed that Gmail is much better than all other email account. Easy to operate and less spam as well. Moreover data is more secure.

I do not like Microsoft's network solutions, as well as their email service, thus suppose gmail is better. They also seem to be more convenient and usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back