• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

godaddy

llcman

I have all my sites hosted by godaddy but is there something else better out there where i could just simply transfer my sites over without loosing anything?

GoDaddy is known for being a horrible host. They are a great domain registrar, but lack in the hosting department. That goes for pretty much all domain registrars.

Last I heard, GoDaddy uses a proprietary control panel, so whether or not you can just transfer your sites without losing things, I'm not sure. Your best bet is probably going to be to back up all the databases manually, then restore those on the new host, and re-upload the rest of the files manually via FTP.

There are many good hosting providers that you could choose instead, many will seamlessly migrate your sites for you too. Check the offers section of this forum, I'm sure there are a few hosts that will meet your needs.

I have all my sites hosted by godaddy but is there something else better out there where i could just simply transfer my sites over without loosing anything?

Try making a request on here with approximately what your requirements are. There's thousands of hosts watching this place any of which might be able to suit your needs better than GoDaddy can. The smaller hosts all have something that big names like that don't- we have the ability to custom fit your services to match your needs so that you save money without sacrificing the speed and power your site demands.

A little more details as mentioned would be good. There is much better than Godaddy out there. To them everybody is just a number and it shows when you talk to them.

GoDaddy used to be good... and then they found out spending all their capital on a few girls wasn't a good idea.

I think if you want to transfer all your files to the other host, you may do it with no troubles. Godaddy is decent enough for that.

I personally love GoDaddy. Been a customer with them for years now. I've never had any problems with their hosting plans or support.

Well,

You do not migrate your websites just like that. If you have a good experience with one web host, you'd better stay with it, no matter what's its name and whether it gets positive or negative reviews.

You can transfer your site to any hosting company who provide free transfer. GoDaddy is using thier custom control panel. In case of standard control panel like cPanel, it is very easy to transfer sites from one host to other.

Thats a good point but to put the other side across, if you do select a 'smaller' provider then you must be sure that they can 'afford' to stay in business.

In all respects, I would choose a smaller provider over these flash over-rated host 'banks' but making sure your research is done first.

Why go smaller? Why don't you just move to Name.com or FXdomains.com or something simular.

You should go for name.com . They're one of the top registrar opposing SOPA and PIPA. Name.com has an outstanding support, better than any other registrar established.

Plus the coolest jigz ever -- every month, they offer coupons which would really make to save some bucks out of it. They offer around 2$ discounts or so. So that'll drop the price to 8 - 9 bucks for .com / .net

And they also sell .org for 7.99$ only. How cool is that ? Plus they also give free whois privacy to all domains you buy ( that costs 3$ from other registrars ).

So yeah. LOL.

Can you say what is 'better'?
If everything, price included, is fine, no need to move.
In any case, only personal experience can be the final argument. Reviews and suggestions are fine, but a hundred users will have a hundred different opinions.

If it comes to moving elsewhere, transferring sites isn't such a terrible task, even if no downtime is allowed. It's just tedious and boring.

Also: according to this, GoDaddy no longer supports SOPA? Or they have changed their mind once again?

Last edited:

Transferring sites from one host to the other (when dealing with proprietary panels like godaddy uses, as opposed to something like cPanel) can be a bit tricky for users who have never made such transfers. However, its not impossible. Your first step will be finding your new web host and then asking them if they would be willing to help you with the transfer (most web hosts will transfer your site onto their servers for free).

Back